The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Fiat Multipla or Honda FRV (of course, these are not 1975 cars but are not big and not american)

I’ve said 5 or 6 seats in the rules in order to not penalize if someone want to use 6 seat.
Why you are so fond to discuss this?

well i couldn’t find a 6 seat car in the game. the only way to get a 6 seat car would be lua editing

erm…wat?

alot of the bigger sedans have 6 seat options

1 Like

you are right, i found some that have 6 seats, but this challenge was about mid size

lua allows up to 9 seats

Dodge Aries or Plymouth Reliant were six seaters, and they weren’t large cars. Granted those were in the '80s.

Now for something quirky that also considers design aspects of your car!

Car Shopping Round 31: Transeuropean Express

The post-war hardships continue to affect the general population of European nations in 1948. In face of this, owning a personal automotive vehicle, for now, remains but a dream. However, some optimism spreads, with ambitions towards lasting peace and cooperation, and the Marshall plan coming in to revitalise the crippled economy.

Now it’s 1949, a transeuropean car show is organized, which will visit multiple European cities, the cars covering most of the distance under their own power while remaining frugal on precious fuel. We hope to inspire local and international automotive manufacturers as well as entice the European folks! For this grand tour, we request two very different types of vehicles, however with similar goals:

The Continental Commuter: A car that can travel fast (Must not be track performance!), and doing so with less. We would like to see how much you can make out of as little fuel as possible. This should showcase to the public that a personal car capable of high speeds mustn’t use prohibitive amounts of fuel. You can hide the fact that you indeed fuel it with super leaded petrol. All configurations allowed, though we are certain that a highly complex engine won’t spur much confidence (DOHC only permitted for Inline configurations).

The Commuter of the People: The vehicle that could be put into mass production! Of course that means that there shouldn’t be any limited production parts, and you may only use regular leaded fuel. It’d be wise to use a smaller and simpler engine (No engine displacement over 2000cc; No V12; Only 2 valves per cylinder; Nope, no 2 valve DOHC).

Do note that due to political uncertainties, we were not able to plan a venue in any states of the east bloc including the soviet-occupied part of Germany. However, we are still open to accept vehicles product of these states.

Now for the event!

Companies and workshops all across the globe can ship their motorvehicles to London, the city to host the first venue. We are in hope that our invitations to the royal family come answered. Please, at your own discretion, don’t send in something that will embarrass yours truly (Era-friendly styling; No single wing with downforce; No Barth-body; Lips are tolerable). Also, you must understand that due to certain events, the Londoners are easily terrifed of loud things (At least one muffler required).

Your car will then be ferried to Amsterdam. We encourage you to offer the cars for seating of ferry passengers (More than two seats). The venue here will be relatively brief, but it will be noted how well the car accepts preparation for a voyage (Practicality over 30). You may mount luggage on the roof or the boot using a rack (Practicality requirement drops to 20 if you choose to mount something resembling a rack; I accept two appropriate looking wings without downforce as rack, too; Use wisely, it has downsides!).

We are then heading to Hanover, right up there in Germany. At this point, we will have our first records about the car’s behaviour and functionality, which will be interesting to engineers and engineering enthusiasts alike. We know some contraptions are of very young design, but if we aren’t confident of the car’s ability of further traversing into continental Europe and up into the Alps, we will suggest their crew to instead head to Bremen or Hamburg with it to ship back home (Over 60 Reliability; At least 30 Drivability). While we don’t expect it in face of the brief, we will enforce a return to sender if we track a high fuel usage of the vehicle, which is definitely not in the spirit of this display (Fuel Consumption must be below 10l/100km | above 23,52MPG without rack, 9l/100km | 26.14MPG with boot/roof rack).

The way to the next venue in Constance will proceed at a high velocity! Up until Stuttgart, we will determine the vehicle’s high speed capabilities driving on the Autobahn. We might see speed records (Top speed with a twist!), but what is more significant is the car’s capability to do so efficiently (Fuel consumption at 90 km/h and 120 km/h, or 56 mph and 75 mph). At this venue, we may see interested aerospace engineers (Visual aerodynamic cues are considered and give a bonus to this scoring. This will be in relation to the body’s inherent aerodynamic efficiency in an attempt to balance out the car bodies. Make it streamlined! A roof rack might be in the way of the wind…).

Then we’re passing over the Alps, and through the serene Switzerland, we arrive in Italy, heading to Turin. After this arduous trip, we’ve tracked which cars had the most troubles on their way. Here is also where the economics of the cars will be considered. Of course the continental cruisers will be the ones sought after, but one can only afford that much, which is where the people’s trusty commuters will gain the attention (Price without markup; Running Costs considered, Reliability judged).

By Monaco and Marseilles, we’ll have a good grasp on who’s meeting the best resonance with the crowd and experts. The rolling exposition will continue on to the north-west across France, until your cars may arrive in Le Havre to be shipped back. Most, at least. We don’t know which folk want to request a test drive on the way, for which your cars better be drivable enough.

Overview:
Year setting for trim and engine variant: 1949
Phase 1
London: Design Commentary
(Bring a muffler)
Amsterdam: Check on Seat Count and Practicality requirements
(>2 Seats) (30Prc, reduced to 20Prc with rack)
Hanover: Check on Economy, Reliability, Drivability requirements
(10l/100km, or 9l/100km with rack | above 23,52MPG, or 26.14MPG with rack) (60Rel) (30Drv)
Phase 2
Constance: High Speed Cruising Economy, Top Speed
Turin: Price, Running Costs, Reliability
Monaco: Judgement

The statistics will be rated in relation to each other. Both categories are judged equally, each having their strong categories. The rack is a usable gimmick.
Send by: Saturday, 14th of January, 23:00 GMT

Edit:
Don’t forget to put your name on the car model and ideally engine family!: CSR31 - Username
Trim and variant are free to name as you desire!

Furthermore:

^This here as a tip!

Edit 2: Additonal info on streamlining
Briefly showcased how the body shape will affect the aerodynamic rating right there.

Do enjoy yourselves, Ladies and Gentlemen! :smile:

14 Likes

Any disallowed bodies? I can’t speak for whether they’re viable with the practicality requirements, but I can say a couple of them so have a significant drag advantage…

Just say the Austin-Healey body and no, not even leaf springs help it from getting 0 practicality.

Also, does putting a rack automatically give us 10+ practicality? Is it pointless if the car has more than 30 practicality?

1 Like

It says > 2 seats, so does that mean at least 3 or more? That would exclude the non-Sprite anyway. In addition to that: Comfort and safety do no play any role at all?

1 Like

I’ve been messing with I6’s, pushrods, and 40’s era cars for a while now. Might have something a little crazy for this challenge.

Is that UK mpg or the silly one?

2 Likes

US, looking at these numbers.

And why the silly one? UK is used by probably way less than 100 million people, US by at least 300 million.

1 Like

Because I’m British.

And if you hadn’t won the war of independance then you’d drive on the correct side of the road and use proper fuel economy figures! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

Ah, that explains it :stuck_out_tongue:

But I’m Polish, not American. And although I tend to use British variation of English (at least when I’m aware of the differences), I drive on the MORE correct side on the road and use probably more popular economy figures. That is, additionally to the most proper and logical l/100km :smile:

1 Like

The one that is used by the nation who went to the moon.

1 Like

The Continental Commuter
LVC- atlas
more or less a car you would say that is rear engined, but nope
so twin carb DOHC 2 liter engine with 100 hp and 8.9 liter per 100 km is enough

5 Likes

I am once again faced with a proper dilemma… Should I build an upmarket continental commuter, or something cheaper and more conducive to mass production? Anyway, this round has a somewhat romantic feel to it.

1 Like

@strop no disallowed car bodies except the Barth bodies. However, not even racks can save the small roadster: it isn’t practical enough.

@Ornate that’s right, it would actually be detrimental to performance. However useful to just get a little extra if for some reason your car doesn’t achieve minimum practicality. It will have an impact on the aerodynamics rating, but can be appealing in Turin!

@Der_Bayer yes, 3 seats minimum. Intentional loophole, as it is usually either 2 or 4. And good that you mention comfort and safety! Turns out that there were things I didn’t think of last night.

Well, I have the idea to weigh the stats of comfort and practicality against each, as choices benefiting one can be detrimental to the other. For now, I am suggesting that for the people commute, it is acceptable to be very frugal. For the continental, standards are of course higher, but no need to be excessive.
For safety, I suggest equipment that is better than nothing. The faster you go, the more confidence it would spur to be in good safety. This specifically applies to the continental cars.

I’m trying to balance the people commuter with a bias towards average and frugal, while the continental class cars seek a different kind of prestige, which is not the in game prestige.

@TR8R it’s US MPG. Use with slight discretion, I didn’t build a car in automation with exactly 10l/100 km to verify that. But the unit converter should be correct :wink:

3 Likes

This round is going to be extra competitive due to a lack of decent bodies and technologies, gotta play mind games before revealing entries :smirk:

Now a thing that I should be pointing out before you just beeline for the body with the lowest drag coefficient, specifically for the continental commuter.
The actual shape will give bonuses for compensation. The less aerodynamic the base body appears in stats, the stronger these bonuses get. This will allow bodies with worse aerodynamic efficiencies to gain a chance if they actually look streamlined.
A visual presentation:

THE GOOD

THE BAD

THE UGLY

If your engineers aren’t as drunk as the creators of this atrocity, this body right here might be an option for the people’s commuter.

15 Likes