The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Some people are completely disregarding engineering time as an indicator of complexity amd part availability. This is relevant, though understandably, without explicitly being mentioned in the prompt, in sandbox mode it seems to be of little import.

what? yours are named dice. not pink
and i’m an indonesian. i know what pink in indonesia is…

also… you’re saying that titanium is cheaper than iron? material cost? yes. because less material used to get the same amount of strength. but it’s more expensive because it’s also like 10-20x harder to produce.

I beam and H beam are used for 2 VERY different purposes. I beam are light because the need to kind of strength to handle high RPM loads. but Forged H Beam are bigger and Heavier because they are designed to handle super high torque load, but no high revving. but both are still more expensive to make than just pouring metal iron into a cast, and be done with it.

as for 4 speed gearbox. well that’s still within the realm of reasonable. so i didn’t really say much about it did i?

@phale yes you could. just not now. but as i said. literally, the only process that included me looking at the stats are

is the drive over 30? yes? is the fuel economy over 20km/l? yes? is the safety over 30? yes, then consider the seat count (although i apparently missed some) and the cargo volume, and running costs. done. mostly.

Whhaaat! I won it. Damn, thank you koolkei. I felt the car was good, but I wasn’t sure it was this good.

I will think on whether or not I should host the next round and I’ll come back to you in a few hours.

EDIT: Yes, I will host the next round. I have an idea, just need to try out some cars to check for possible limitations.

19 Likes

Ps everybody we’re working on new hosting regulations that’ll hopefully make it easier to sort out hosting problems on event of mass passing. I’ll post them soon and see what you think

4 Likes

Yes, in sandbox mode, which the online competitions are based off of, engineering time is irrelevant so I rarely pay it much attention unless the competition explicitly calls for it.

#CSR 33: Highway to Hell

November 17th, 1998 - It’s a cold, damp morning in Milton Keynes. The wind is blowing strongly, skies are a homogeneous shade of grey. On top of the desk, work is piling in faster than it gets out. Or would do, if he cared. Why do I do this everyday is the obvious question that keeps coming to his had. The lack of engagement, of connection with whatever is this weeks big paperwork is suffocating to him.

The only sparkling of hope is his new company car. As part of the recent promotion (more paperwork, more stress, more demands for an added mite on the paycheck, how great), he’d be getting a car from the class above. The French riviera, Saint-Tropez, Monaco. No more boring rep-mobile sedans, oh no. Now, he could aim for something posh, something premium. Perhaps, a car with nice handling, to ease off having to get out of morning in the dark. Or maybe, a good motorway cruiser, that will insulate him in his little cocoon. The brochures all have to be on his desk by next week, for him to pick his next car. Will he buy yours?

However, reality is a bitch sometimes. The new, improved car can’t be that much of a step up, otherwise our junior executive would end up with a car better than his boss’. Unthinkable.
The goverment also wants to spoil his fun, by adding all kinds of rules and tariffs.

#Rules

• Year: 1998
  • Fuel economy above 33.9 mpg UK (28.2 mpg US, 12 km/l, under 8.33 l/100 km)
  • Under 60 months engineering time for the trim, under 80 for the engine.
  • Under 100 production units for the trim, under 80 for the engine.
  • Car must be a 4-door sedan, with 5 seats
  • 95 Ron Premium unleaded fuel.

On the topic of price, the car price with 30% markup will be added to the expected anual costs for 3 years, which are comprised of fuel bills for 10,000 miles per year (16,000 km). The target car price is $19,000 (with 30% markup), cars can be a bit more expensive than that, if they use less fuel and are worth the premium, and they certainly can be cheaper, but our young executive won’t buy a subpar car.

Make your cars sensible - I have added the engineering time and production units limits to try and see if that would lead to more sensible cars. I reserve the rights to disqualify cars that don’t meet sensible standards.
######That means, please don’t send V12s.

#Deadline for entries is February 11th @ 23:00 GMT.

22 Likes

Finally… A challenge where we could get to build something that makes financial sense in the (lite) campaign! I’m guessing no V8s either by the look of things, just sixes and fours.

Also, are there any restrictions on fuel types we can use?

I think a V8 could enter, but a small block, just for the smooth low-end torque and the prestige.
I’ll probably use a car that I already build for my company, just haven’t released yet because I’m in doubt between a V6 and a I6. (in FR cars I like the I6 more, but wouldn’t make economical sense, since I already have a V6 around the same size)

Any limit on engine engineering time/production units? are they the same as for the car?

3 Likes

Quick Preview of what I Have Currently, Guess what my Base is!

Still need some work, Currently $19500 at 30% Markup & Right at the Maximum Fuel Efficiency of 8.33L/100km

so is v12 not allowed or just very un-favorable?

You utter, utter git

You can’t dissuade me that easily

2 Likes

Where do I find that stat in Sandbox?

3 Likes

Click on the Detailed Stats tab in the overview. You should find it there, along with the number of production units your car will need.

1 Like

Let’s just say it’s probably very difficult to build amyhting even vaguely approaching a reasonable mid level executive car with a v12 for an engineering time of under 60 months, let alone production units of 100.

I think the smart money’s in not trying to stack so many cylinders into two Banks, if you get my drift.

3 Likes

Comfortable, Efficient, easy to handle, what more do you want for your commute to the office, or on a family road trip.

4 Likes

Im gonna pipe into this round question is inline six or v8

The only sensible standard

1 Like

Here is a designer after my own heart, but not my brain :laughing:

4 Likes

Bring on the v10’s and 60/90 degree engines…coming soon DSD 6.0 centrifugal supercharged v10

4 Likes