The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

In law terms any modified aparatus that propels an object that is equipped with a trigger mechanism can be classified by the police as a type M weapon (paintball guns, crossbows, throwing stars, butterfly knives etc)…Which is stupid you can buy a compound bow fit it with all the latest and greatest gear and carry it anywhere with you at any time, but if you want a paintball gun you gotta get a M type license and keep the PB gun in a gunsafe and when traveling in a locked case with the ammo in a seperate locked case) M license is for special weapons and is much harder to obtain than other categories with the exception of semi/full automatic weapons

1 Like

Time for the moment of truth! Who will win? Who will be cut?
Now you find out!

It was time to decide what car i’d buy.

##Uh-oh:

GSI Mountebank @oppositelock

Just as i was about to contact the dealer about this car, they hastily called me to explain they had just sold the remaining units. That’s weird.

##10th and 9th place:

Smooth C-ross @AirJordan
Adenine Ambience @phale

These cars had a full aluminum body, which in 2017 is still unheard of in this car class.

##8th place:

Kimura Cavatina LXt @titleguy1

The Cavatina uses one of those single clutch automated manuals, which aren’t used on regular cars that often, for a reason.

##7th place:

KWA KX1 @abg7

This car got too fancy with its suspension parts. Adaptive dampers and semi-active offroad swaybars are something you don’t usually see.

##6th, 5th and 4th place:

1. Baltazar Kilimanjaro 2.0 Premium @Leonardo9613

So, it’s FWD. It’s a good car but not quite what i’m looking for.

1. Griffa Triseon 2.3TL4 @szafirowy01

This car looks like a minivan, and i couldn’t help but think about that.

1. Maesima MQX-4 Tz AWD @Rk38

Possibly the best looking car of all, but simply could not deliver as well as the top three did.

These cars all share one problem: Their offroad capability is too low in my opinion, i think it’d be problematic in the long run.

##3rd place:

Horyuji Tanigawa X-Sport 2.0 @CadillacDave

This unconventional crossover was a really good one. I don’t quite like the idea of driving a wagon though. Anyways, deserves an honorable mention.

##2nd place:

Gamma Briggs @Nomade0013

This car was indeed very good, with fantastic offroad potential, safety, and adequate performance. But i liked the looks of the CM better.

#WINNER:

#CM Huron MX @thecarlover

This car won because of it being a great all-rounder at a good price, and with great looks. It reminds me of my SUV while being easier to keep. It’s relatively simple in all of its design choices, and that’s why i like it.

Thanks to everyone who entered this round!
It’s been great fun reviewing your cars, especially since i managed to finish doing so this time around.

Now, on to CSR35!

18 Likes

Congrats, @thecarlover!
That was a great round, @EnryGT5!

Well, from my European perspective “offroad capability” and “crossover” are completely unrelated things. Nissan Juke, Qashqai, Opel Mokka, Toyota C-HR, Mitsu ASX, Dodge Journey - these are typical crossovers for me. Even the latest Renault Espace is marketed as a crossover. But anyway, a bit of “no idea what I’m doing” made this round interesting :smile:

And the 5th place… 6th a round before, also 4th earlier - it seems that I’m getting good at this game :slight_smile:

Congrats for @thecarlover :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow, didn’t expect this… I guess I’ll be remembered as the one that can build a decent crossover :sweat_smile:

I’ll come up with a ruleset and post it I’m the next few hours. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You deserved to win; I reckoned your Huron was the most sensible car of the lot! So hats off to you for claiming your second win with a “keep it simple” approach.

And it seems that I went too far to increase the comfort and offroad ratings of the KX1 by installing adaptive dampers and semi-active offroad sway bars.

#CSR35 - Cruisin’ L.A.

######(Stepping into character here, bear with me.)

Hi, I’m Stephy, and I’m looking for a new car! So, like, since I’m going to college I convinced daddy to replace my pink Mini Cooper for my 18th birthday. Eee! I’m so over that high school car, I need something that’s hot! This is 2005, retro is sooo yesterday! Now, it can’t be anything basic, daddy says I can spend up to $50,000, and this is L.A.
Now, I just want cruise to the mall with my friends in something flashy and comfy, so I can’t just have two seats or be tiny. I also don’t want to crash my new baby, so it can’t be like, hard to drive, you know? I just want to press the pedal and go. I would LOVE a convertible or a glass roof! Those are so hot! And a kickass stereo! Daddy says I should also get something safe… I love him, he worries so much!
My car is like, my image, so I want flashy and fast. I want to look good in it around the city so people think I’m a celebrity. That’s my dream job! Oh, it has to be one of my favourite colours: red, pink (but not super bright, that is sooo 90s), baby blue or yellow, pearl white, or royal purple. I don’t want anything else. So yeah, that’s it! Help me find my new car!
######(And out of character. I hope that was as hard to read as it was to write.)

##Brief:
Normal naming, so car and engine as CSR35 - YourName with trim and variant as the names of the car and engine. I DO NOT want to see the default “Trim ##” and “Variant ##” for those. Naming issues will get a warning and one revision to fix it.

Trim year 2005 (model and engine family/variant can be older).

Market tab price of 50000 at 50%. You will not get extra points for going under budget, so try to squeeze as much as you can out of it.

Minimum cooling required (of course) and minimum 4 seats. Fuel type 91 or 95 RON, cat. and muffler required.

No van or pickup/ute bodies, she’s not a surfer.

No CaptainD00m fixtures and no Barth bodies. Only Steam workshop mods (I won’t be able to see anything standalone).

Colour must be red, a non-neon shade of pink, baby blue, baby yellow, pearl white, or royal purple. Yes, this is a stupid rule, but yes, it is part of the character. Looks are VERY important. Roll with it :stuck_out_tongue:

Do not min-max, I’m looking at overall car, not just final stats. Non-realistic decisions to maximise stats won’t do any good. So don’t spend a big chunk of the budget on active suspension on a premium car, or make a tiny V12, or even a carbon fibre car. Be realistic.

Stats I will mostly be looking at: drivability, prestige, comfort, and also a bit of safety and economy.

To bring back a somewhat lost part of the CSR, ads are REQUIRED. No need for anything fancy or stats, at minimum a photo with manufacturer/model/trim name and the price. Anything else is extra. Any car without an ad will not be seen by the buyer.

These rules might be amended in case I missed anything or was too vague. I reserve the right to amend the rules for a valid reason within 48 hours and request a revision of any car submitted before then.

#Deadline: Monday, March 6th at 11 PM EST (GMT-5)

Let the games begins :slight_smile: I’m free to clarify/add more information where it’s needed.

19 Likes

A car for a mid-Noughties Valley Girl? This is intriguing, especially with restrictions on exterior color for the first time.

Edit: Thank you for mentioning the restrictions on fuel type. And how important is sportiness, by the way? Also, are there any maximum limits on engineering time and production units for the trim and/or engine, as there were in the last two rounds?

so Miata isn’t the answer for this round i guess

so something like BMW Z4 i guess

But read the seating requirements :wink:

Introducing the Vanteria from Cornaldie Automotive Co Ltd.

See our brochure below.

Starting at $49,500.

5 Likes

Bavaria UWOT64, The Return of Bavaria Coupe.

Written by Jimmy Monnet
First published on Driver’s Edge, August 2004 Edition

Finally! After the 4 years absent since the demise of a much loved Bavaria UWOT31 Coupe. Bavaria is back at it’s big coupe game. With this, the Bavaria UWOT63 and the convertible variant UWOT64.

The last Bavaria Coupe, the UWOT31, came with the option of either a V8 or V12 engine. Quite a lovely car. But it cost in excess of £50,000 and arriving just as the recession hit. The big coupe was an utter failure ending up losing Bavaria a huge amount of money. The problem was that the car was too complicated, nobody really needs a V12 engine, or all the electronic gizmos it came with. I will concede however that pop up headlamps were essential, the car wouldn’t be the same without it.

Now, however, Bavaria is going to hit the big coupe market again. With the UWOT63/64. It’s based on the recently introduced Bavaria UWOT60 saloon. And instead of going so overboard with technologies and luxuries. Compared with the UWOT31 that is, it seems paired down. Simple, if you could call it that.

For the engine, you get the option of either a 3.0 Inline 6 in the 300E model, or the 4.8 V8 in the 480E model. If you’ve been paying attention, you’ll realized that it’s exactly the same engine as in the gopping new UWOT60 saloon. Except there’s no diesel option. Which would have been sacrilege in the big Bavaria Coupe.

The outside of the car have been designed by the same man who did the UWOT60. An American named Steven Hoffs. It’s the same design language as the UWOT60. The “Eternal Flames Design”. I think if anything it looks absolutely unique. And not as ugly as the UWOT60 for sure. But then again, they cannot do worse than the UWOT60.

The inside is where it mattered. The interior can be configured using 6 different colour designs. And many many options. Very little of those come as standard. But then again, this contributed to a very reasonable base price of £29,900 for the absolute base 300E Coupe. If you spec it up, you could end up with a £75,000 480E Convertible. The interior quality is lovely, obviously, just like every single Bavaria there have been. The design is great, matching with the outside of the car. With the new i-Control system. It’s basically a mouse you use to control the “info-tainment”, as they call it, system. You basically controls everything, radio, HVAC, driving modes, with the knob.

I guaranteed it’s going to be an excellent drive, like the UWOT60, and also a smooth one. The price, if you specced it carefully, seems to be quite reasonable as well. This might means Bavaria will finally crack the big coupe market. After the failure of the UWOT9, the UWOT24, and the UWOT31.

The Bavaria UWOT63 (or 64) Coming soon to beach sides in California and probably also on the M4 near your rear bumper.

9 Likes

Aw man. Anyone got a list of all the sports-car bodies I rarely use that have both convertible and four seats?

1 Like

I made a pair of test cars, both of which were four-seat convertibles; one of them used the large version of the not-Aston body (which is included by default), while the other utilized the 00s ponycar body (which is a Steam Workshop mod). Now, if I can just come to a definitive decision on which one to enter…

Oh what I would do for a body like a BMW E31 body right now :sob:

1 Like

If it was 2010, I’d be okay, I know exactly which body I’d use. But sadly, in 2005, unless all you want is two-door sports cars, your other choices are a load of mid-engine coupes that only have two seats, or a boring sedan.

So, sadly, I’m out of this one.

50K +50% is a lot of money, especially when a lower price is not beneficial. The cars that I’ve been building… let’s just say that they would be quite a step up from a Mini Cooper :stuck_out_tongue: Especially for a college student.

1 Like

oh god. twin turbo v12 intensifies

1 Like

What would I do for a murano cross cabriolet body right now. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Oh god, from crossovers to build a douche car for a valley girl :joy:

Is this how all y’all planning to keep review numbers down???

Douchiest thing I ever rode in: a convertible CLK500 with the top down. And boy did I feel sooooooper douche.

7 Likes