The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

@Leedar congratulations on the win!

Glad that I could please @strop with the design of the UTE. :joy:

Pleased to still have gotten 4th with the fudge-up, although I’m guessing even with it I probably still would’ve missed the mark.

At the moment only Inline 6 / 12V are semi-viable turbocharging options due to the late spooling, my love for high-tech high specific output engines can’t take much more wait :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Hopefully the new turbo tech will arrive soon after the port to make these engines more viable in daily drivers.

Sweet! Third place!!! Now all I have to do is work out at competition idea… :persevere:

Watch this space as I’ll post something up by the end of today (hopefully) :blush:

4 Likes

As Soon as I Seen the Review(That had me LOL BTW, Really Nice), I Had a Feeling it’d get cut due to how it looked.
Body Stylist(s):

Also, What didn’t you like about the styling, the Pink or the Spoiler on the Tailgate (or Both)?

Wow strop really kicked something off here, Ute fever has come to American motor journalism.

7 Likes

Either I’m preternaturally astute, or I claim far more credit for cultural shifts in the world auto market than I would ever warrant :stuck_out_tongue:

@LordLetto the more appropriate question is what did I like :joy:

… I’ll get back to you on that

Let’s just say if you had the TC in there it would have made my job even harder.

1 Like

Nah, I was being really unfair and comparing it to this.
######(Not so shameless plug alert)

And yeah, I’m glad to see that the Ute might make a comeback. Even being an American, I’ve always thought it to be the perfect blend of vehicles. Where you sit is a nice comfortable car. Behind you is a light-duty pickup truck.

5 Likes

Americans only want massive, extended cab, extended bed, lifted trucks… what madness is this?!

3 Likes

CSR39: Chasing the Wangan Midnight!!!

The year is 1996 and times are tough for an up-and-coming JDM tuner. The market for hard tuned cars has dried up and all anyone wants these days is little more than a glorified wings and wheels package! However there have been rumours that a S30 Fairlady Z has been seen on the Wangan, a Zed so fast that no-one can keep up, a speed so seductive that anyone who sees it cannot help but try and match it’s pace…

Your role, should you choose to enter, is to build a car that can join the Midnight Club. You’ll be building a car that can exceed 300Km/h with ease that can also hammer down a mountain pass. The car needs to push every boundary of engineering so that no-one can doubt your integrity as a tuner but still be useable on the street. Your car needs to be timeless in it’s style as victory will ensure immortality but don’t be afraid to express yourself either!

The Rules

All cars

Body/Chassis/Fixtures
+15 on chassis slider (replicates rollcage)
Fixtures should be road legal and not butt-ugly :stuck_out_tongue:
Chassis made of steel (any type), Body made of steel (Any type)
Wings and lips are free
NO Barth or CaptainDOOM bodies

Engine
10 slider points for turbo cars
12 slider points for NA cars
98RON Unleaded
No VVL allowed, VVT is allowed
Cat @ 2 straight through mufflers required (go quieter if you want to)

Body
10 slider points for the body
Manual Gearbox only (Unless your company doesn’t do manuals AKA Mercedes Benz)
S/Slicks, max 255mm width
No carbon brakes (if available)
Undertrays allowed: AWD, MR, RR: Partial
FR,FF: Full
No undercooling allowed
2 seats minimum. Use sports interior and basic stereo.
ABS and P/steer required, traction control, launch control and stability control is banned!
Safety set at none (replicate rollcage)
Suspension cannot bottom out!

Car classes

The JDM muscle car (Think R32 GT-R)

F-AWD, 3L and 6 cyl max
2 or 4 door sedan
Turbocharger required

The Sportscar (Think RX-7, 911, Supra etc.)

FR, RR or FF (:astonished:), 3.8L and 6 cyl max
2 door coupe body
Turbocharger required

The Exotic (Think Ferrari Testarossa!)

MR only, 5.2L max, V12 ONLY
MR Coupe body only
Turbocharger required

MR2 Replica
Small MR2 body (or small MR body), 2.2L, 4 cyl max
Turbocharger required

NSX Replica
MR body, Steel chassis and Aluminium body
3.2L, 6 cyl max, VTEC required
Turbocharger required

The Good ole Boy (Think Charger, Camaro etc.)

FR only, 7L max, V8 only, Pushrods only!
American coupe/sedan bodies only
No turbo’s allowed!!!

Targets to qualify for the Midnight Club

Top Speed: >300Km/h
Haruna Downhill time: <4:49.00

You need to put up a pic and blurb on your car (tell us a story on why you built what you submitted!) and also put up the Haruna downhill run time. Don’t forget to name your car (or tune someone else’s car!) and the name of your tuning outfit!

If you can’t be assed with the RP then that’s OK, you just need to state your Tuning company name, a pic of the tuned car and the RL inspiration (if you have one) for your car :smile:

Naming convention

Model: CSR39-[username]
Trim: [Car name]
Engine: CSR39-[username] OR [original car designers engine family name]
Variant:[Your variant designation]

Due date is the 28th April, 2017 at 23:59, AEST

Top Speed wins so bring on your A game!

12 Likes

No possibility of something like an NSX or an MR2? As for the turbo on the V12… Ferrari doesn’t do those, so can’t quite make a Testarossa. Same with Lamborghini.

3 Likes

Now this feels more like a tuning contest than any previous round… By the way, I have played Wangan Midnight long enough to appreciate just how insane its basic premise is - tearing around the freeways of major Japanese cities at extreme speeds requires lots of guts and skill!

And what fuel types are we required to use for this round?

One more thing:

Is this for the entire trim tab?

And carbon-ceramic brakes were not available in 1996. But must we use catalytic converters?

So we’re being judged solely on top speed and the haruna time?

Edit, also, we only have limits on materials and quality, but no limits to cost, production units or engineering time?

TALKING BOUT THE GOOD DAYS

i have such wide grin on my face right now

i found something better. MT5 DX+ soundtrack playlist

3 Likes

In Wangan Midnight a Testarossa gets tuned via the addition of a turbo so don’t hold yourself to only JDM rides… As for the NSX and MR2, well shucks, I didn’t think about them so I’ll add another category soonish!

This is to be used for the gearbox, brakes, suspension, aero or trim; it’s your choice and you can only use 10 in total.

NO NEGATIVE SLIDERS ALLOWED!!!

Correct, although the Haruna time is an entry requirement and tie-breaker stat. I wanted to go all out and give everyone a coffee-break round so we could show off and build some really fast cars without too much calculations and some fun RP for those who are into that sort of thing! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Minimum reliability for trim (and engine?)?

Finally it’s time.

…To go full Strop once again :sunglasses:

6 Likes

If it breaks then you’ll fail, otherwise the car can be 0.1 reliable, I’m not fussed :innocent:

Can get some clarification? Need to use cat? Muffler? No super harsh suspension?

I would guess no race parts.

Use a Cat please, I’ll put it in the OP rules shortly, and a couple of straight through exhausts so that you aren’t pulled over wherever you go. The car cannot bottom out otherwise go as low as you desire!

Btw some of these classes will struggle to reach 300kmh without some serious drivability destroying boost. I’m looking at the MR2 in particular :joy:

Meanwhile the exotic is absolutely going to wipe the floor with everything else, unless the mandatory turbo destroys driveability and the muscle car takes the prize, ironically!

1 Like