The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Okay, I thought I was out of the running. Apparently twin single-barrel eco carbs works for making the car affordable…

Now I’m hoping whatever comes next, I did well enough in.

Turns out desirability is not the only factor; these dune buggies must make financial sense too. Mine does, so it has made some ground on the leaders. In the end, though, consistency across all four stages is the most likely means of getting a good result.

maybe. but not enough.
enrygt5 is the dark horse up until now.

at least, until the next reveal is posted

@Der_Bayer i’m sorry to pressure you. but how long till the full results come out?
this is still a weekly challenge, and it has been nearly a week for the results alone.

if you still have something more important, and then there’s the BRC too, then at least an update please?
just so we know what’s going on

1 Like

Am update will come in the evening. Sorry but there were some unexpected things I had to take care of.

3 Likes

Part 3/4

Tomorrow morning we will be testing the cars here:

You will get the short reviews and the full results then.

6 Likes

yes, my car is pretty at least

well then. @Rk38
WE GOT THIS :stuck_out_tongue:

but seriously though, you made most of the car, i just did a little bit of tuning, you did way more than i do on the car (and ads).

seeing this released right before i go to sleep. thx der bayer… :wink:

well i was very close to you on aesthetics, and not too terrible on basic stats

Looks like I can pretty much throw my car in the trash, along with any hope I had of winning this round.

Although a win seems out of reach now, my Oryx isn’t the ugliest car in the field, though it isn’t the best looking by a long shot.

Was the aesthetics to be equally weighted with the other rounds?

#Final Results

Alright, here are the beach track test and the final results! Please note that I had to adjust the convertible scores of abg7 and TR8R, to whom I gave points at first even though they didn’t deserve them.

18 - abg7 - 58 points

Another car with a winch. Very boring colour and boring styling. Good stats in general, except for the most important one: Sportiness. Cost ist alright, but beach performance not. Not the car for me.

17 - lordvader1 - 61 points

The cheapest car of the competition is not always the best one. Especially when it is not sporty and fast at all. The styling is alright, a bit too offroady maybe, nice colour, but I’d like the sun to get in!

16 - Denta - 64 points

A decent looking car with average stats and pretty high cost. The 4x4 should have been avoided, then a much better position could have been achieved. The driving experience and performance is not too good. It’s a weird mix of a heavy duty offroader and a road coupe.

15 - BobLoblaw - 65 points

Another fixed roof coupe with a winch. At least it’s only RWD. Flashy colour but boring styling. The whole car is pretty average, except for sportiness where it is pretty bad.

14 - JohnWaldock - 66 points

A very unique car with a nice styling! I definitely like the removable hardtop! Too bad that it is just way too expensive, initially and maintenance-wise. The cause is probably the mid-engine, which seems to reduce drivability, too.

13 - TR8R - 67 points

The good drivability definitely helped this car to get a good track time despite the low offroad capabilities. But that already was everything positive about the car. Complicated, spidery styling and a fixed roof, and high running costs.

12 - DoctorNarfy - 69 points

A fixed roof, boring but tolerable styling and high fuel consumption are the main causes for this car to be so far back in the list. Its front wheel drive system definitely helps with drivability, but sportiness suffers a bit. There are better cars around.

11 - Ornate - 69 points

Better approach this car from the front. The back is just “butt”-ugly! This and very high running cost make a better position impossible.

10 - HighOctaneLove - 71 points

What can you say about this car? That it is… average? Just like the rank it achieved? Well, it has very low costs except for the sales price, and has no real weaknesses except for the fixed roof. But is barely has any strengths either.

8 - Howlerautomotive - 73 points

I ilke the styling, I like the colour, I like the stripes. But what’s that thing on the back? Can that be removed or shortened? Other than that it is a decent car, but the running cost is extreme. Especially if you compare that to the fun it is to drive. A bit more sporty tuning, matching the promises of the rear wing, would have helped a lot.

8 - thecarlover - 73 points

It drinks a bit much, it costs a bit too much. Other than that: unique styling but average in all other aspects. The 4x4 drive system definitely was not needed and just raised the costs.

7 - EnryGT5 - 76 points

A cute blue car, but it could have used a bit more work design-wise. It is definitely good value for money. But because it does not cost much, that also means you cannot expect too much. Very good offroad capabilities without 4x4. Decent car!

6 - Madrias - 77 points

Another one in the category “low value for low money”. The styling is alright in general, but do they offer different colours? If yes, then try to invest a bit more money into it and you get a really good car.

5 - NormanVauxhall - 77 points

This car definitely looks like it was built more for the roads than for the beaches. It looks nice, but it’s just not the kind of car I was looking for. The distribution of the stats says the same. Give it a bit more comfort and it is a very good sporty convertible for the road. But it will never be a dune buggy.

4 - Darkshine5 - 78 points

The livery and colour definitely make this an eye-catcher. I’m still not sure if I like it though. Maybe it is just a bit over the top… Performance-wise this is pretty much the benchmark and a lot of fun to drive! It hurts in your back after some time, but maybe then it is time to relax at the beach and have some drinks. The performance has its price and it drinks some fuel, too, so another reason not to use this car for too long.

3 - AirJordan - 82 points

A nice and smooth design and nice color are the base for this third place. It offers good value for money in each category where it is important, but does not stand out a lot, except in the running cost aspect. Ok, it is fun to drive and quite fast. Just no superlatives. A deserved third place nevertheless!

2 - phale - 83 points

A very simple but nice, unflashy styling makes this one of my favourites. What I don’t like about it is fuel and running cost. For an average price you get a lot of fun, and the best thing is that you can use it on the road for daily use as well without hurting your back or having to fear severe consequences in case of a crash. Only the 4x4 drive was not necessary. I wonder if it would have been enough to reach first place without it. Grats!

1 - Koolkei & Rk38 - 91 points

My favourite by a huge margin is this yellow thing with nice black racing stripes. The styling is unique but not over the top. It has one serious weakness, the fuel consumption. Other than that, it is the perfect dune buggy! They did a very good job tuning the engine and still keeping the car drivable and controllable on and off-road. Yes, it is not very comforable and safe, but that doesn’t really matter. It’s comfortable enough to keep me behind the wheel and have lots of fun until the fuel tank is empty. Take my money!

Sorry for the delays.
Congratulations to Koolkei and Rk38! You are the next to host a challenge!

6 Likes

Well, I suppose 6th is better than I expected to place. Congratulations to @koolkei and @Rk38!

Well looks like we make quite the team @koolkei!

Big thanks to @Der_Bayer for hosting this round it was a really interesting challenge and of course beautifully presented. I certainly never thought of trying to make a beach buggy before so that required some creative thinking to get things to look right.

I’d also like to thank my teammate @koolkei as this would have been nothing but a pretty face had I worked alone. Now we’ll have to think of a way to present the next round!

thx @Der_Bayer for hosting this round.

and i’d say yippie for being both the first collaboration to win a CSR round. and the first repeat winner.
uhhh sort of, maybe.

but now we’d have to figure out how to go about the next round.

again, not last and pretty ill take it!

This is now the third time I’ve come in second place haha. Not sure if I can claim that as a record?

1 Like

I’m feeling a touch mean. I wonder where a certain someone is to talk up his car and design choices, and how he would have done everything differently on the podium-finish cars, or that if he’d submitted a different car, he would have certainly won it. It’s eerily quiet on that front.

I mean, I’ll admit, the neon-green on mine was, perhaps, a little over-the-top, but I liked it. I didn’t want to just do another yellow car. I stay too much in my own comfort zones, so I picked a color I don’t typically use. Apparently it cost me. That said, I can’t get in too much a case of sour grapes on this one, as I didn’t do terribly overall, and I suppose for having a terribly average car, as stated, a bit more money thrown at it might’ve done it. Not that I stood a snowball’s chance in a blast furnace at winning anyway, but I gave it my best.

Now, I’m curious to how the collaboration team plans to handle making the next challenge.

4 Likes

OK, so the Oryx was dead last, but there is a place for it in the market - for anyone on a budget who prefers serious off-roading to light sand running. Still, I am fairly sure it would have done better as a rear-driver with medium-compound road tires and a sportier suspension tune, as well as with a brighter color like lime green. I should have chosen a convertible for this round, though, like the not-Fairlady body, if for no other reason than to improve desirability and attractiveness.

The ball’s now in your court @Rk38 and @koolkei… How are you going to define the next round? Especially since this is the first win for @Rk38 and the first time any user has won and hosted two rounds each. (@strop hosted two rounds, but has no wins, while @Dragawn, winner of the third and 16th rounds, chose not to host the 17th one, so @koolkei is technically the second repeat Round Master in the history of this contest.)