The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Another question: is there a drawback to using mechanical injection, or will that be considered in the same manner as a carb system?

1 Like

We understand what it’s like to need a new truck. Diamond Industrial would like to send you an exclusive first look at the T-86, our latest model of heavy-duty work trucks.

With our brand-new 5.4 liter V8 engine, we have power to spare. What it lacks in sheer horsepower, it makes up for in torque. It’s easy to work on, being OHV, and the fuel system is a simple 4-barrel carburettor. Why change what isn’t broken?

The interior is fairly plain and basic, but the cloth is hard-wearing and very spill resistant. You could dump an entire bottle of motor oil on the rear bench seat, it won’t stain it. We’ve even included an 8-Track player. Sure, it’s a little behind the times, but music is still music.

The dark-gray enamel paint resists scratches, harsh chemicals, and still looks good even when it’s dirty. It was specifically chosen to hide most road-grime, several types of dirt, and gravel dust.

Diamond Industrial - Work Smarter, not just Harder.

1 Like

Didn’t @thecarlover already have a company called Diamond Automotive?

It’s most likely a different brand. And I could just use carbs since the client is more familiar with those :slight_smile:

Yep. Usual format.

Model: CSR19 - username
Trim: vehicle name
Engine: CSR19 - username
Variant: engine name

@abg7 yes, but the lessons are optional, although they are goin to be really helpful

giving EFI to us is like, giving your grandma a smartphone. like “WTF is this shizzle?”

@thecarlover i missed this… i’ll treat it like an SPFI. it’s mechanically mostly the same as a carb, just like SPFI, except for the injectors that are mechanically controlled.

so much shit we missed, focused too much on the story.

@johnwaldock why not give it a shot? i’ll be interesting to see a australian style ‘utes’ on the range

@madrias that was quick, really quick.

IMHO carbs/MFI and SPFI are quite different in terms of mechanics and components. It may be more accurate to redraw your line regarding what is “familiar” to your workers.

okay. to be honest. i missed the MFI when thinking about that.
but between carb and EFI are clear enough… it’s just that MFI is giving me a headache

I’m saying that SPFI is EFI and should be counted as such. MFI isn’t quite a carb, but it’s “close enough” to count it as one for the challenge.

a bit of googling later. heck, it’s way more complex than either carb or EFI…
i’m contemplating if i even want to rule MFI completely actually. from what i’ve googled. it’s not something you can even mess with on the side of the road, so completely not preferable for where the nearest garage is tens of kms/miles away.

1 Like

Seriously, if you’re considering MFI, something’s seriously wrong with you. It’s stupidly expensive, complex, and even more fiddly than MP-EFI. I’d basically treat it as “You show up with MFI, it better be the most reliable thing in the world, because if something in the engine breaks on the job site, it’s just cost us a damn tow truck and a mechanic’s bill.”

1 Like

so anyone have a problem if MFI is ruled out?

By now I have come up with two potential entries, both with ladder frames and panels made of corrosion-resistant steel. One of them is based on an older body, is powered by a 2.4-liter all-iron OHV EFI straight four, and has an 8-track player for extra comfort. The other has a newer, larger body and uses a smaller single-carb 2.35-liter four, lacks an 8-track player, but trades practicality for slightly greater utility and better safety (a result of its greater size and cargo volume). However, the smaller car’s superior economy and drivability seem to make it the better choice for me so far. Because of the pros and cons of each car, I still have a dilemma, though, and would like to ask a few questions: is practicality more important than utility, or vice versa? And is safety really a key criterion in the judging process? Finally, exactly why do you require five seats?

utility is marginally more important. the car is always carrying tools all the time everywhere. but is also the main crew transport. i didn’t mention any safety, but it’s a nice extra, it’s mostly going offroad, slowly, on a mostly flat lands. we don’t care that much about safety. as for 5 seats… ask @Rk38 he’s the one that set that number.

OK then, having read your reply, I’ve made up my mind about what to enter.

In 1986, the NMC Bushranger was introduced. Its body and ladder frame were made of corrosion-resistant steel for better rust protection, and it had disc brakes at each corner. A strut-sprung front and leaf-sprung live rear axle gave it good off-road capabilities and high load capacity.

Its interior and entertainment system (incorporating an 8-track player, which was obsolete but still better than nothing), though basic, were both hard-wearing and durable, guaranteed to last the lifetime of the car.

In addition to having five seats, the Bushranger had plenty of cargo volume for tools, spares, and anything else the customer wanted for the job. Running costs were quite low, and here’s why:

The Bushranger’s engine, a 2.4-liter all-iron overhead-valve straight-four, had multi-point electronic fuel injection instead of a carburetor, thus providing superior economy (12.23 l/km) and emissions compared to carbureted engines. Despite running on regular fuel, it still managed to deliver just over 100 bhp at 5000 rpm and was highly reliable.

Even with this modest power, the Bushranger could still reach a top speed of almost 100 mph (160 km/h), well in excess of KRK’s requirements.

At an estimated price of $11000 (close to the upper limit, but still with a 10% markup, with NMC providing maintenance lessons for an extra $1000 due to the fuel system quality being set to 0) the Bushranger was priced to move. The New Wave of affordable utility trucks has arrived, but only the Bushranger takes the genre to another level with its combination of utility and affordability. The screenshot above shows the competitiveness at the estimated price if the extra cost of EFI maintenance lessons were taken into account.

2 Likes

One question: Does Mr Shearston have an EGA compatible display somewhere in there? If that is the case, Cossack Motors will gladly sent you a copy of Cossack Simulator along with our model, T4700. //Mockup screenshot will be included.

EDIT: A hint of what is to come:

3 Likes

It just so happens that Mr Shearston has been messing around with a new EGA compatible display and he would be most interested testing out your Cossack Simulator.

Since I have limited computer use atm and cannot enter I was wondering if anyone would like to team up with DSD (we specialize in torquey economical carbureted 2 valve v8’s) using one of my crate engines?

Screencap from Cossack Simulator, developed in cooperation with Distinctive Software Inc. They’re now using the experience gained from this game to create a new racing game, called “Test Drive”.

This is a 1986 Cossack T4700, the offer from Cossack Motors. Priced at exactly 12000$ (the offer includes Cossack EFI maintenance training course, normally priced at 1000$), it’s set to provide the most within the specified budget limitations. We’ve paid close attention to the specifications (including “more than” signs) and sent you the six-seater version for testing. We believe the Cossack Orange paint is close enough to KRK company color and therefore, should represent the company proudly.

The engine is a 4.7 liter V8, equipped with a single point electronic fuel injection, requiring less maintenance than the carburetted offering, and providing exquisite (for its power and capacity) fuel economy. It’s also compliant with emmision norms. Since we are aware of your repair skill backgrounds, it still uses the trusted OHV valvetrain.

Our awareness of your parts familiarity led us to equip the KRK variant of T4700 with drum brakes in the rear, considering you’re used to changing the shoes on those (and also because of their ruggedness), coupled with disc brakes in the front, for superior braking performance. The familiarity is also the reason it has a manual transmission, though it is a 5-speed one, a step up compared to your previous fleet vehicle.

While the terrain you traverse through is mostly flat, the “mostly” caused us to send you the variant with a short rear overhang, for maximised departure angle. This, along with other design choices has made the car a superior offroad machine, while not hurting the cargo space severely - T4700 still fits almost a cubic meter of cargo in its trunk.

The driver and his 5 passengers can enjoy music not only from a radio, but also from an 8-track player, in case of spotty radio reception (and lets face it, it is a very probable case when you’re in the middle of nowhere.) The seats are durable and hard to wear down, kind of like the rest of the vehicle - you can rely on it more than you can rely on certainty of death or taxes.

In the event of the crash, all passengers are protected by inertia reel three-point seatbelts and a rigid passenger cell. (OT:I know you don’t give that much crap about safety, but it made sense from flavor perspective to engineer the car for people other than you guys)

Last but not least. While it’s all subjective, we believe the car Iooks better than every single vehicle in the segment. Except that wagon from Adenine.

8 Likes

ladies and gentlemen, this is the 1985
LVC- amazonian

built on ladder chassis which is made from corrosion resistant steel
and every body panel is made from corrosion resistant steel as well.

There is no god that can make this car rust (will trigger people)

Ram bars, roof rack, spare wheel, spotlight were standard equipment, the most basic equipped one has it
you: i get all these for X amount, ?
dealer: yes indeed
you: i would like one without any of those
dealer: are you sure? you will still pay the same amount as before
you: fine i will remove it myself

engine
a 7 liter v8 engine, using OHC 2 valves per cylinder
making 300 HP and 500NM of torque
the engine has a reliability factor of 61.4
meaning after 614.000 of 1.000.000 KM the engine may needs a rebuilt
since its a working machine, we sealed the rev limiter to 5000 RPM

with the car you get a handbook. teaching you how to fix and maintain the efi injector system. the book is 50 pages long, even a 10 year old will understand it,

if that doesn’t work we provided some spare parts in a crate in the boot

moving on to other parts
you get a automatic gearbox 4 speed, because to make your life easier here
but the locker is manual

hard long life road, you are planning to drive on normal road too, no one likes tire whine
drum brakes front and rear, because they are better for off road vehicles

an offroad skidtray, to protect the drivetrain and other parts from dirt, stones and other.

now to the interrior
you get 5 seats, standard ones we use in all of our cars
a 8 track radio

safety. we care about safety, you get the high end safety of this time

advertisement

4 Likes