The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

loophole: nobody said it had to be a sedan :smiley:

But knowing HOL, he might spring a little more readily for something sedan format :wink:

Instead of going to bed Iā€™m experimenting a little.

2 Likes

Yes mate of coarse you canā€¦just dont beat meā€¦or better yet beet me then i can sit back amd say yep i helped that dude get soo good

1 Like

'famous last words '- Strop, 2016

6 Likes

Can we get a slightly bigger range here? Thereā€™s quite a lot of good bodies with a WB of 2.4m, or 2.48m, or 2.78mā€¦

Also, is there a certain budget and markup we should target? (It wouldnā€™t be hard to ā€œreplaceā€ the 86 with a 500hp V12 if youā€™re not careful about this!)

In my opinion, $30K at 30% markup would definitely be too much. Based on some test builds, $20K at 30% would be plenty to make a GT86-type car. But itā€™s totally up to you. Just saying, we Automation players will optimize the shit out of whatever budget you set, so be careful!

Considering that the benchmark is a GT86ā€¦ I donā€™t think anyone was thinking that it had to be a sedan :stuck_out_tongue:

You helped me get good, no doubting thatā€¦ will I beat you? No. Will I try? Definitely going to try

you do notice thatā€™s a sarcasm thatā€™s hinting about what i might be building right?

Yep, started playing with i6 turbos and suddenly >400hp later and Iā€™m starting to think Iā€™m building for the wrong class. A benchmark budget would definitely be useful to work from!

Or a class to have to reachā€¦ie budget fun

Iā€™m working on something thatā€™s likely going to be a bit of a wildcard.

Ahahahaha my toga has a 2.6m wheelbase yes now which model the diesel or the v8?

ah yesā€¦ next up. TO-rbo or not TO-rboā€¦

TO-BRO MOTHERFUCKER!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Another question: are we allowed to use, for lore purposes, a model and engine family that comes from a prior year, but trim and variant 2012?

3 Likes

Thatā€™s, actually, a really good question. Iā€™ve got a long-running engine lineup that has an engine nearly perfect for thisā€¦

i see no reason it would not be allowed, though some people are unpredictable

Enjoy some rare rear-wheel-drive drifting pleasure from Storm Automotive!

This is the 2012 Storm Knight GT-6T. Specifically, the GTR-6T. Whatā€™s the big difference? The Storm Knight comes standard with all-wheel-drive. Itā€™s what weā€™re known for, and yet, we do occasionally listen to our fans who want rear-wheel-drive cars.

Well, the Storm Knight has always been our economically-minded compact, and the evil twin used to be just the turbocharged GT-4T. Kraft Haus Technik made an awesome mid-trim for the Knight, as well, so the Knightā€™s been around a ways.

This time the Knight isnā€™t playing around, and weā€™ve aimed to let the world know that. From the ram-air intakes on the hood, to the aggressive styling, to the shield-clusters in the main headlights, the front end of the Knight is pure attitude.

Out back, we have our signature tail-light clusters, under-chassis ventilation, and the dual tri-tip exhausts. Yes, both sides of the exhaust are functional. And so were those ram-air intakes up front. Theyā€™re cramming air intoā€¦

ā€¦The turbochargers on our AluStar V6. Yes, the very same all-aluminum engine weā€™ve had around since 1995. While weā€™ve often made more power with the AluStar, we aimed for brutal reliability this time, and gave the AluStar 3-liter a nice 345 horsepower.

The Storm Knight features a gas door on either side, so donā€™t worry when you drift up to a gas pump, you wonā€™t be stuck looking like a fool because you slid in on the wrong side. The rear spoiler is functional, and the radio antenna is housed in a small aerodynamic bubble behind your sunroof.

We feel youā€™ll enjoy driving the Knight. We enjoyed building it.

(And yes, I did enjoy trying some new techniques with the fixtures. I think the headlights came out nicely, myself.)

3 Likes

Hereā€™s a Suggestion on the Rules to make things more challenging, Max Engineering time of say 70-72(months). According to Wikipedia (so take with a grain of salt)

Initial layout and design elements for the 86 were presented by Toyota usings its ā€œFTā€ (Future Toyota) concept car nomenclature. The first was the Toyota FT-HS, which was presented at the Detroit Motor Show in 2007. It had a front engine, rear-wheel drive layout and 2+2 seating and was powered by a V6 engine with hybrid electric assistance.

The first production Toyota 86 debuted at the 2011 Tokyo Auto Show.

So thatā€™s January 2007-November 2011.

Also, is the 98RON a Must Have Requirement or a Max Requirement? also, Max Budget would be nice to have also. How does sub $25k MSRP (0% Markup?) sound?

Edit: On Second Thought, the Engineering Time Limit might be too hard for some people due to Quality sliders, but itā€™s up to you if you want to challenge people or not.

Edit 2: So I Have something somewhat, Would need some tweaks though. As of Now when Iā€™m Typing this Top Speed is 220.4 kmh with Avg Reliability at 73.7 & a 0% Markup price of $25100.
so if my Idea of Sub 25k MSRP becomes a Rule then Iā€™d need to shave off at least $100 off the price Unless HOL Got another Price in Mind. Iā€™d also need another 1.3 Avg Reliability while not Lowering Top Speed to the 220 km/h Minimum (only 0.4 km/h to the good as it is.) Another Possible Idea would be instead or alongside of Top Speed would be Track Time, at the Top Gear Test Track (AKA Airfield track in Automation) IRL the Toyota GT86 Got a time of 1:31.3 in Partly wet Conditions. as of now my Car got a time of 1:31.16 while Having a Top Speed Roughly 4.9km/h Slower than the real deal(140mph according to a R&T Article, 140mph=225.3(08) km/h According to Google, granted thatā€™s for the 2014 Engineering Prototype, the inital 2012 JDM Model might only have a top speed of 220km/h)
Also as of now iā€™m under the 72 Engineering time I Set for myself in case it becomes a thing.

1 Like

The only thing with the engineering time is that what was shown in 2007 was purely a concept car. The 86 is a fairly simple car that in terms of game mechanics would likely be engineered in about 2 years.

I am also on board with an MSRP comparable to the real car, and that the fuel requirement is too high for an entry level sportscar. Of course itā€™s not my round, but itā€™s just a suggestion.

Yes, why lose efficiency when you donā€™t have to?

Max seats of 2 = DNF Iā€™m afraid :grin:[quote=ā€œstrop, post:3424, topic:6447ā€]
No drivetrain requirements? Can be FF, FR, MR,RR, AWD? Or are there preferences?
[/quote]

Oh yes, there are DEFINITELY preferencesā€¦ Think on why the 86 was so anticipated but exceptional cars are always in with a shot! :heart_eyes:

Or Wagon, or Ute, or SUVā€¦ :innocent:

Iā€™m willing to stretch (pun intended, lol) to 2.4 to 2.8 but remember that the 86 had to leave room for a possible revival of Supraā€¦

Iā€™ve edited the OP with the budget (I thought Iā€™d written it in, lol) so anyone whoā€™ve already submitted, feel free to re-submit! :flushed:

Iā€™d prefer a fresh design but if youā€™ve already proven your design, and it makes money, Toyota would be all over that puppy!

I apologise for the late replies; Iā€™ve just woken up and logged on! :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Is the 22k before any markup, or do we need to add a ā€œreasonable markupā€ to get that price?