The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

I’m not sure how you’re getting your cars so expensive. Are you using Sport interior and fancy entertainment? I would have thought standard interior and basic cd was enough.

I’m running cars with zero markup 15500 but I probably have too much power… I’m running 280-400bhp test builds atm.

I had to take a little quality out of my Standard Infotainment and give up my lore-friendly +3 Advanced Safety to make the new budget. On the plus side, I remembered I could go up one more fuel grade, so I squeezed a few extra horses out of the engine. I could probably have given up the standard infotainment and gone for basic CD, but… That’s not the Storm way.

Another question: is there an incentive to use a fuel grade lower than 98 RON, or will we just be penalising ourselves by not making the most of the engine’s potential?

Excellent, that budget leaves ridiculous amounts of room to go not-so-low rent. But I do wonder, just how far can I stray from the original spirit of the 86?

…that 400bhp 2+2 DORIFTO MISSILE is looking very possible. Question is should I make it a four door sedan or a swoopy coupe… And how much do I really have to leave room for the Supra anyway? The New concept was boring!

2 Likes

More Quality=More Money if i’m not mistaken.
I’m Guessing 98 RON is a Must?
Engineering Time still wasn’t answered.
22k Budget, If I Had to guess that’s MSRP Without Markups?
Keep in mind, No Negative Quality to Reduce Price.

As stated in the OP for this round, 98RON super unleaded is required, as is a pre-markup estimated price of 22k or less. The test build I recently made is well under that cost limit and has a wheelbase within the specified limits; however, I tuned it to run on 95RON unleaded, and will thus need more boost, a higher compression ratio, and/or more advanced ignition timing to ensure compliance.

As for engineering time, I am not sure if a maximum limit would even be required, and in fact due to the sub-22k pre-markup estimated price, there won’t be one.

Edit: If I am not mistaken, the trim and variant year is 2012, but there is nothing in the rules (so far) that disallows the use of models and families from earlier years.

with the year is it 2012 only or is it 2012 onwards?

22K with zero mark-up; I wanted space to do better than the 86 without being too tight

Nope, 98RON is required as there’s no point to going lower when the 86 is already at 98, :smile:

Budget is set so engineering time is superfluous especially when the 86 took quite a while to develop!

2012 is required for trim and engine but feel free to submit an older design if you feel it will succeed :wink:

It’s kinda important to leave room for a Supra, which would be packing 300Kw at least, so be careful @strop! :grin:

I just need to know what to set my sights on! 86 is kind of in a class of its own (modern day at least) but will always be compared to the likes of the contemporary hot hatches. Time for A Little Market research. Armada motors has a perfectly good engine for the task… But this challenge is not going to be as kind to their super hot hatch which remains fiercely FF…

With those rules in mind… I hereby present to you the AVD Shrike Turbo, introduced in 2012 and still in production today.

Rear-wheel drive, with a mechanical LSD to help put down its ample power, the Shrike Turbo was concocted by a think-tank of AVD engineers who wanted to beat the Toyobaru twins (as the 86 and BRZ are collectively known) at their own game.

To save weight, the Shrike Turbo was offered exclusively with a six-speed manual gearbox and had alloy panels on top of an AHS steel chassis, and unlike the BRZ/86, had high-performance tires as standard. Even so, it has plenty of space for four people and their luggage, as well as a well-built standard interior and entertainment system, ensuring that it could be used as a daily driver.

The Shrike Turbo was, and still is, priced to move - very quickly. its pre-markup estimated price of $19500 was well under the $22k target the development team was aiming for, leaving plenty of room for aftermarket upgrades.

How quickly? 60 mph comes up in 4.9 seconds, and the quarter-mile pass takes just over 13 seconds. The Shrike Turbo can also reach 170 mph given enough space, and its sticky rubber allows it to pull over 1g on a 250-meter skidpad. Vented disc brakes on each corner (330mm with 6-piston callipers up front and 280mm with single-piston callipers at the rear) help bring this little wonder to a stop in less than 29 meters without a trace of fade.

And the engine responsible for this performance? It’s a 2.4-liter turbocharged straight-six developing a little over 320 bhp and capable of revving to 8200 rpm (thanks to forged internals), but the flat, consistent torque curve from 2500 to 5200 rpm ensures that you will seldom be in the wrong gear. This engine was tuned to run on 98RON super unleaded for the purpose of this challenge - specifically, that fuel type is required for the turbo to give 1 bar of boost, compared to 0.83 and 0.59 bar when using premium (95RON) and regular (91RON) respectively. In fact, the ECU will dial back the boost to either of these settings unless super unleaded petrol is used. Nevertheless, the fuel economy figure is still better than the engineers’ target of 7.8L/100km, and with an average reliability figure of 75.5, you can be sure that this car will hardly, if ever, let you down, especially since no negative quality was used anywhere on the car. Go on, you know you want one - it’s time to get sideways!

1 Like

Those are all very sensible engineering decisions for the round. They’re the ones I made for my benchmark test.

But since that’s now covered, it’s time to think outside the box :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Are we simply trying to build a vehicle that can beat the GT86, or is it assumed that our vehicle will replace the GT86 (i.e. it will be branded as a Toyota)? Because I’ve got a very promising car here… it just doesn’t look much like a Toyota.

That may be a good thing :joy:

When I heard about the 86 I was excited.

When I saw it, I was like:

1 Like

may I ask if a wheelbase of 2.79M is acceptable or is 2.7 the max

That’s where I am at the moment I’ve got one wildcard option and one sensible and a few other outlandish ideas. All because my MRZ-3 fell just outside of the rules.

@phale I litterally ended up making a Toyota with one of my designs.

2 Likes

It’s meant to replace the 86 but you don’t have to try to emulate Toyota’s design language

As mentioned earlier, I’m willing to stretch to 2.8, you just have to make the extra length really worth it!

Well, the way I look at it, Storm’s answer to the Supra would just be “Even More Power” so I’m not too worried about the high-ish power figures I’m throwing around.

Can we recreate existing vehicles in the Toyota lineup and adjusting them so that the GT86 isn’t needed?

Introducing my new engine its not turbo but it does make a unique sound and over 200hp and is fitted in a very unique fashion lol transverse RWD as I didn’t like the engine sticking out the bonnet

2 Likes

Oh man the CSR is making me a hell of a tuner… 6.2l/100km out of a 302hp engine isn’t bad at all :smile: proud of that

Any safety requirements?