The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Ah, that explains it :stuck_out_tongue:

But Iā€™m Polish, not American. And although I tend to use British variation of English (at least when Iā€™m aware of the differences), I drive on the MORE correct side on the road and use probably more popular economy figures. That is, additionally to the most proper and logical l/100km :smile:

1 Like

The one that is used by the nation who went to the moon.

1 Like

The Continental Commuter
LVC- atlas
more or less a car you would say that is rear engined, but nope
so twin carb DOHC 2 liter engine with 100 hp and 8.9 liter per 100 km is enough

5 Likes

I am once again faced with a proper dilemmaā€¦ Should I build an upmarket continental commuter, or something cheaper and more conducive to mass production? Anyway, this round has a somewhat romantic feel to it.

1 Like

@strop no disallowed car bodies except the Barth bodies. However, not even racks can save the small roadster: it isnā€™t practical enough.

@Ornate thatā€™s right, it would actually be detrimental to performance. However useful to just get a little extra if for some reason your car doesnā€™t achieve minimum practicality. It will have an impact on the aerodynamics rating, but can be appealing in Turin!

@Der_Bayer yes, 3 seats minimum. Intentional loophole, as it is usually either 2 or 4. And good that you mention comfort and safety! Turns out that there were things I didnā€™t think of last night.

Well, I have the idea to weigh the stats of comfort and practicality against each, as choices benefiting one can be detrimental to the other. For now, I am suggesting that for the people commute, it is acceptable to be very frugal. For the continental, standards are of course higher, but no need to be excessive.
For safety, I suggest equipment that is better than nothing. The faster you go, the more confidence it would spur to be in good safety. This specifically applies to the continental cars.

Iā€™m trying to balance the people commuter with a bias towards average and frugal, while the continental class cars seek a different kind of prestige, which is not the in game prestige.

@TR8R itā€™s US MPG. Use with slight discretion, I didnā€™t build a car in automation with exactly 10l/100 km to verify that. But the unit converter should be correct :wink:

3 Likes

This round is going to be extra competitive due to a lack of decent bodies and technologies, gotta play mind games before revealing entries :smirk:

Now a thing that I should be pointing out before you just beeline for the body with the lowest drag coefficient, specifically for the continental commuter.
The actual shape will give bonuses for compensation. The less aerodynamic the base body appears in stats, the stronger these bonuses get. This will allow bodies with worse aerodynamic efficiencies to gain a chance if they actually look streamlined.
A visual presentation:

THE GOOD

THE BAD

THE UGLY

If your engineers arenā€™t as drunk as the creators of this atrocity, this body right here might be an option for the peopleā€™s commuter.

15 Likes

time to build a Mercedes 504K then

6 Likes

For a Continental Commuter is there any limit to the amount of valves you can use? Really cool challenge btw :+1::+1:

@Mythrin The only valve train limitation on Continental Commuters is that they mustnā€™t use dual overhead cam on V-engines. Otherwise, no limit on the valves, as long as you can have it reliable enough :wink:
Thank you! And welcome to the forums :smile:

Ohh, also, when you have your entry ready, export it in Automation and then send the zip to me via a message.

Most certainly will thank you for the info

Should be interesting, I wonā€™t be able to submit a Petoskey model as in my companyā€™s history, their factories were burnt to the ground courtesy of a mob war. Time to debut my other Yankee companyā€¦

a car that follows a simple tradition,
it canā€™t break down if thereā€™s nothing to break down

4 Likes

The 1949 Cresge Alpha:

Originally Cresge Tractor and Equipment Co. Cresge was known for building tractors during the 1930s. After World War II they decided to expand into the automotive market. The Alpha was their first model. Using the same engine found in their tractors, the Cresge Alpha immediately had the advantage of reliability plus an ease of acquiring replacement parts as most Cresge parts suppliers could provide what you need. After the debut of the Alpha, the company changed itā€™s name to Cresge Automotive.

4 Likes

Do the amount and size of vents go into the aero compensation?

During the 1940s, WMD considered the European market as a good place to do business. The 1949 Xelum Classic was designed with this region in mind - cheap to buy and run, but easy to drive.

It wasnā€™t very powerful, but was small and light enough to make the most of what little power (and torque) its overhead-valve straight four produced, and could exceed 100 mph - just. Its reliability was certainly icing on the cake of a decent mechanical package.

I thought about sending in an upmarket continental cruiser for this round, but after realizing the error of my ways in the previous round, I decided to build a cheaper mass-market commuter instead.

2 Likes

@Ornate I was considering that. However, to not limit individual design, itā€™ll be of relatively low significance, sharing a category with other fixtures.

I like the variety of cars so far! Keep it up :slight_smile:

Only thing I got from this challenge is that we need a Tatra 77 or 87-like body in the game

4 Likes

Or a Mercedes 504K. Please make it someone!!! We need more streamliners!

3 Likes

So because I was in such a hurry and misread the practicality rule, I ended up building a minivan.

Not sure people want a minivan. Should I submit the utter wildcard knowing it will get nothing but shits and giggles, or should I go back to the drawing board? (I think my engineā€™s pretty nice though).

2 Likes