The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

@lordvader1 I think this is the executive decision you are yearning for.

There may be a delay while it all gets straightened out. I’m sure strop will consult members he trusts for input, but I think it’s clear that we are about to see some rule revisions to get the CSR back to functioning under its original premise.

Ah, I love originalism.

3 Likes

perhaps. but i rather get to host it after i win a round rather like this.

for now i can make my own challenge in a new thread i just need to write down the text and rules

2 Likes

Can we just not escalate this any further? It’s become a bit pathetic, don’t you all think?
To my knowledge, 4LGE chose TR8R as the next host, yes? So TR8R should be the next host. That is the way I see it, and it seems the most logical.
This has all got out of hand, it shouldn’t be as complicated as it is.

3 Likes

tr8r refused to be the host as well

its either koolkei or thecarlover, who ever hosts i just want this thing to roll, but for no we are pushing a big stone uphill

1 Like

Way I see it, he only wants his name off because nobody voted for him. It’s understandable that people like having hosts that have proven themselves before (I voted for somebody else myself) but as he was chosen by the previous host, it would make sense for him to be the host for the next round unless, of course, he refuses.

this all went utterly complicated. how did this all scene happened in the first place

4LGE hosted a round —>
denta won -->
denta refused and passed the honor to ornate -->
strop said if ornate passed he will pass too -->
ornate refused to host, and asks who will -->
Myself offers to host -->
ornate gave me the host -->
i waited for strop to make a decision what will happen next -->
after arguments der_bayer should be host and refused -->
tr8r was meant to be the host and then strop made a pool vote -->
tr8r said he is not interested into the host -->
waiting for strop to reform rules and things—

2 Likes

ummmmmm

i guess my round wasn’t borked enough to be remember as a round that almost failed then? :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

First of all GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT FFS!!

I ACCEPTED the hosting and stated that there wouldn’t be pages and pages of reviews.

Then the thread got hijacked with everyone shouting how they want to host it.

Then @Strop decided a poll was needed.

I then removed myself from the running because of, what I see as, forum politics…I deal with enough politics at work and gaming is how I relax!!!

So Strop, as the originator/god/emperor/dictator of the challenge gets to decide how it’s run, changes the rules as needed, and then gives the challenge to whomever he sees fit.

Rules that I’d like to see are these:-

• If you can’t run the next round then DON’T enter.
  • The host should give a top 5 and the offer goes down the list.
  • If you win and don’t host because “I don’t have time” then there is a 2 round suspension
5 Likes

I would very much like a penalty for a) taking too long to finish a round b) submitting late

Uhh… that seems a bit harsh mate :laughing:
Why not allow the liberty of denying to host a round?

1 Like

OK…maybe my venting went a little too far…

Then again…

Fire up the Death Star!!!

okay. me or TCL?

I know a lot is going on, but…

I’m all for T8R8 hosting (should they want to) because of the “top 5” especially since it would get things sorted out pretty quickly. It would allow for CSR to move on quickly for now while rules get amended to prevent the current issues from manifesting themselves again. This way we can keep going with the challenge, the new host is someone more deserving than me or koolkei (seeing as neither of us was in the top 5), and there will be about a week until the next round to think up a proper solution through rule changes.

If the round should go to me or koolkei, I’m okay with that as well. I just want things to get moving in a way that’s as fair as possible.

@thecarlover

Not me…not now.

Maybe if I’m runner-up (or preferably winner) in the future but not today.

What the hell has happened here man?

I don’t get it. A mistake was made, then it was rectified. It could have easily stopped there and then as has been pointed out.

Somehow in there we got to personal insults, a witchhunt trying to find who was to blame and then some completely irrelevant social and political views?!

This is one of the biggest/most popular forum challenges on the go and we’ve got enough politics and drama going on to rival a series finale of The Good Wife.

As @TR8R has definitely decided he doesn’t want to host, that leaves the three other interested parties in the poll. Can I suggest no more fuel is thrown onto the fire and we wait til @strop returns and closes it off?

If it’s of any use to you strop, I’ll happily sit and lop the posts off the thread back to wherever you want them in the interest of keeping it neat and in order.

11 Likes

I disagree massively. Just because my life is somewhat busy and I don’t have the time to write a bunch of reviews, doesn’t mean that I can’t spend 30-odd minutes, as you said, relaxing by playing the game. If that rule is accepted, you’ll alienate a lot of people, like me, strop, klinardo, normanvauxhall, der bayer, all of whom I know have limited time.

Now, the rules and precedents before were: Winner gets to host, if not, one of the top 3 hosts, else, poll. That’s how it went so far. We could choose to increase it to a top 5, but as things were so far, 4LGE going down the order had no merit and wasn’t per “the rules”, the poll, on the other hand was.

To sum up the ideas here in a sensible way, my suggestion for future rules would be:

• Together with the winner, the round master should publish a top 5, in order of final ranking.
  • The winner gets to host the next round.
  • If the winner can’t do it, he passes the torch to 2nd place, if they can’t do it, then 3rd placed, and so on.
  • In case no one of the top 5 wants/can do a round, or they don’t reply within, say, 24 hours, we open for everyone who can do it to put their names forward in a period of xx time. After that a poll is opened for xx time and the winner is the next round host.
9 Likes

Oh Boy…
Anyone got Popcorn they’re willing to share?

2 Likes

Haha wow. I guess I shouldn’t even sleep on it :joy:

It’s ok @adamd I do need to read what people think and how they are feeling. Part of the issue here is that people are somehow referring to me as unilateral dictator or something when I’m the one who is trying to accommodate for the interests of the majority. I assume that this is because ultimately I still get the final say as OP. It all feels a bit like the history of Turkey/ the Ottoman Empire.

Now that I’m awake, I’ve closed the poll. In the interests of expedience, after a close contest I see @koolkei has come out as preferred, so you’re up. I apologise to everyone else who got caught up in this schmozzle, especially @T8R8, because yes, they were nominated but due to a lack of clarity in the rules I wrote last year we didn’t have any consensus, hence my leaving it to a poll. The poll clearly spoke. In retrospect I agree I should have made it an open ID poll for transparency, but let’s leave that as is.

When I get back I’ll start consultation on how to rectify the hosting rules. It’ll probably take most of this week but this is a community challenge for the community to run, essentially, so we’ll just aim to be as fair as possible.

11 Likes

It would work out perfectly if you manage to get the rules into effect right at the end of this upcoming round, I think, as that allows for thinking time and then going back and critically evaluating all the decisions.

1 Like

Admittedly, I’ve left my round in a terribly anticlimatic way, as I tried to stretch the time frame not any further than I already did. But I feared for any further impatience. So I’ve done an all-nighter, on top of the Sunday spent on the rest of the reviews, to wrap it up in a what I thought workable manner.
To my colleague, I then looked like this:
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/7f/7f77546945f948560cdc26b12b99d5ccd390c2e39d2849d3423ae7608dac066a.jpg

But my struggles shouldn’t scare anyone off, and I apologize for any troubles this may have caused.
I wanted to make a great round. I dared to make a complex brief. I envisioned to create a rich plot.
However, I was entirely new to making something like that and couldn’t make out what to expect with this, then failed to get things all ready and prepared in time.
It turned into an appeal for more time. However, I enjoyed writing the reviews a lot, and I only hope you liked reading them, at least.
I knew I’ve f****d up by the mid of the last week. My time constraints and the disappointment of not being able to make it in the way I envisioned was getting me more and more stressed. So I set my dedication to get it finished with the reviews all done.
That’s it. First ever Automation-challenge that I hosted, a concept that could’ve been blown up to halfway-DBR levels, but conceptualized in only a night, done within the confinements of the CSR, with my poor planning and speed. Yeah, there were one too many things for it to go wrong in some way :sweat_smile:
However, I did not regret taking this opportunity, and might use the experience, in some other way, in future endeavors :wink:

Also, who in the hell is 'T8R8"? I only know a TR8R here :joy:

7 Likes

Shit my bad sorry for that too @TR8R. Of course that makes more sense phonetically :joy:

One thing we should say here, it’s very flattering in a way that people want to pour their heart and soul into writing some kind of magnum opus in the confines of the CSR… But we should remember that the CSR has exactly that: confines, and it’s those confines that hold the promise of more content regularly that keep candidates entering. The rule adjustments are probably going to be stricter and more stringent to reflect this. In the meantime, if you do have a challenge that you think wkw this is great but it’s going to take more than a week to finish… Think about hosting it independently!

(I’m aware that this may mean you get less entries and this lacks the sense of accomplishment that you’re hosting because you won the right.)

3 Likes