The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Or another company (companies?), which can sell you a car in any colour as long as it is black :wink:

3 Likes

Scarab Nova S: The perfect purchase for the up and coming.

Factsheet:

159 HP, 0-100 in 8.3 s, 100-0 in 33.4 m, topspeed at 215+ kph, 5 spd automatic gearbox, 8.25l/100 km, FWD

Nice premium interior with a CD. Whispering quiet. All available driver assists

Nice Exterior

9 Likes

God damn I spent so much time trying to find a way to squeeze my production units down to 100. I was stuck at 100.02 for this and that reason and having to make all kinds of funny decisions to fit things into the time budget.

Anyway. I’m going to enter this highly competitive fray with a mysteriously understated car. Meet: the Sei Executive.

In the 90s, Sei was known as a premium series of cars for the aspirants, the rising stars, and the leaders, ranging from, well, this model, the Executive, up to the sporting luxury saloon, the Emeritus (you can find very small traces of a Sei lineup in various executive themed contests in this forum).

The Executive is your well-earned mug of Earl Grey, after an interminable period enduring nasty instant in a styrofoam cup. Why a mug, though? Because it’s not pretentious, not a diva, and it’s not trying to outdo your boss with fancy tricks or sneaky shortcuts. It is what it is: versatile, dependable, and most importantly, bloody nice to sit in and drive.

On paper, the union of advanced materials, all-around independent suspension, a V6 with advanced fuel injection system for maximal efficiency and a five speed auto inform you that you have arrived at a new tier of existence.

approach slightly influenced by my attempts to match phale’s stupid drivability and economy scores

The cabin experience translates fantastically: a pliant ride, with barely any engine, road or wind noise, swaddled in adjustable, plush leather seats and surrounded by a woodgrain veneer dash. Set the environment to suit you with automated climate control. Add your personalised touch to the atmosphere playing the tunes of your choice thanks to the inbuilt CD player that comes standard. The Executive is confident in claiming to be one of the comfiest, the most drivable cars in its class. And not one to get ahead of itself, the Executive is also more reliable than most of its premium rivals, and far more frugal, and all around cheaper to run, making it one of the most livable too.

In the Sei Executive you know you have a purpose built family sedan cruiser that you can not only rely upon, but trust to make your journey as pleasant and fuss-free as possible. All that, for 18200AMU.

15 Likes

That looks very very nice! I know mine doesn’t match yours in stats but Leo has said before that what matter more is the choices you make to reach those figures. The one thing I know I’ve an advantage on is that mine isn’t FWD :wink:

I agree that what matters more is how one reaches the stats, hence my subtle jab about the car being what it is and not trying to be more than that :wink:

FWD vs RWD was one rather large decision I had to make which ultimately also decided the power output I was going for. I initially had a 200bhp 3.2L i6 turbo in this, that would have gone in a RWD car. But then I realised my car was starting to have identity crisis as why would I try to mate a turbo sporty engine (for 98 anyway) to an auto transmission, without going full sport, as some here may have done… and others not quite?

So I went full commuter/cruiser and took out the turbo. With that, I had very little reason to insist on RWD drivetrain… and therefore high power outputs too. Besides, given the lightweight construction, 140bhp for 1100kg is plenty :open_mouth: …for this kind of car :laughing:

One might then ask: why did you stick with the independent suspension instead of semi-trailing arm etc.? Simple answer: I couldn’t make it work out as well for value, and also, all of Sei’s cars used independent double wishbone suspension on all corners from the get go.

5 Likes

Semi-trailing arm is independent, too :smirk:

2 Likes

excuse my error. I’ll edit my post.

2 Likes

Everyone is posting their stats so here come mine…

When most people think of DMA they think trucks quietly working around the farms and construction sights and 4x4’s beating around all sorts of terain. But what many don’t realize is DMA has a full linup… including the F98-L with class leading comfort and reliability. With the interior whispering sit down and relax and an styling that doesn’t scream hey look at me the F98-L will quietly get you to your destination.

The economy tuned 2.4L inline 6 sports an impressive 35mpg US and with an estimated service cost just a touch over $2000 per year the F98 will cost less in the long run than many of its lesser priced competitors.

Final price $19,240

7 Likes

11 Likes

I never posted my stats…because of other people’s stats…which are vewy VEWY scarwey…

1 Like

hopefully mine is one of those scarwey posts :stuck_out_tongue:

im too tempting throwing all tech that i got from sacrificing automatic transmission like Japanese car in 90’s but on other side i dont want to fall into ‘not sensible’ pit which i can see some people already poking the on that

The comfort is very strong… Stronger than mine… Strangely enough I found that the low boost turbo helped comfort perhaps due to better low end torque and lower throttle response? Did you use one?

I tried using a larger body earlier, as I noticed with 5 seats one is handed a 9.1% comfort penalty, but larger body was also more unwieldy in general.

NA I6 and a manual rear wheel drive

I used an identical combination for my entry, but only arrived at it after experimenting with other configurations.

My Highway To Hell Submission : The Betta Osmosis

Have you ever wanted a Luxurious, Powerful and very Sporty Italian five-seater sedan? Powered by an efficient, smart, Turbocharged VVT/VVL 16-valve 1.7 engine producing 210hp while achieving staggering fuel economy figures of 7.13L/100km and only costing $18720, the Osmosis is the car for you. Rear-wheel-drive, the engine in the front and a 6-speed in the middle assure loads of twisty-road fun. 7.6secs to 100km/h and a top speed of 235km/h. Just as staggering as it looks.

8 Likes

In 1998, Rennen released the 5th generation Angeles.

2.8L V6 Premium trim shown in Winter Sapphire Metallic.

Available as a coupe, sedan, or wagon, the Angeles was designed to be more comfortable, more stylish, and above all, a more engaging driver’s car. Initially offered with a 2.0L Inline 4 or a 2.8L V6 in 3 trims of Value, Premium, and Executive respectively, the Angeles SA5 would go down as one of the best-selling Angeles’ in history. The 2.8L V6 was all-new for 1998 and featured MPFI and Variable Valve Timing, among other technologies and produced upwards of 190 HP. A Premium V6 model has been sent in the competition. It costs, at launch, under $18,500.

Here are some additional statistics.

12 Likes

Look at all these salient selling features!

200+ horsepower!
30 MPG downhill!
Purely gestural chrome surrounds!
Not just active suspension, semi-active suspension!
Electronically-controlled fully CNC-machined variable geometry salient selling features!

Presented here in Piano Black (piano not included).

11 Likes

The 1998 DMV Downdraft Deluxe:

The 1998 Downdraft Deluxe is our first luxury sports sedan here at DMV. However, don’t think that means means we’ve settled for a lesser model. The Deluxe Gets you our 178 horsepower DOHC 2.5L V6. That may not be as big or as powerful as our competitors’, but in spite of this, none have as much pep in their step (and it qualifies for Low Emissions Tax breaks!). Combined with our slick shifting 6 speed manual transaxle with a viscous limited-slip differential, the Downdraft gets to 60 MPH in a spritely 6.7 seconds, on up to an Autobahn worthy top speed of 153 MPH. And you’ll do it in our (optional) supple leather interior with heated seats. Perfect for the driving enthusiast who needs to impress both potential clientele and fellow gearheads. All for the low base price of $16,500.

4 Likes

You say leather heated seats, but your comfort figures, budget and weight suggest standard interior, unless you shaved serious cost cutting elsewhere!