The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Im kinda color impaired, thats not baby blue?

Dang it, Should have Submitted when I Had the Chance instead of holding back for Possible Tuning, Ended up having no Internet for a few days (Went over Data Limit & Router got Unplugged) Therefore I Couldnā€™t submit once I was OK with it.
anyway, Hereā€™s what I Had, The Letto Motors Eclisse, With a Price Tag of $49950, Itā€™s a Good Choice:

Since itā€™s to Late to Submit, Iā€™ll attach it here if anyone wants to check it out they can.
lordletto21 - CSR35-LordLetto.zip (29.2 KB)

4 Likes

What exactly is meant by this? Are the brake pads too aggressive, or did the car come with vented disc brakes with too many pistons as standard?

1 Like

Vented brakes w/ 6 pistons. 6 piston brakes are rarely used on standard street cars

Vented disks, I donā€™t think I had 6 pistons, 3 or 4 on the fronts.

either or bothā€¦

if i had not been late tooā€¦ 550hp wouldā€™ve totally overpowered the competitionā€¦ if that is of any significance even.

Vented discs were fine, itā€™s all the 6 piston calipers coming up. Those werenā€™t found on this type of car at the time (and still arenā€™t, as far as I know), so it would be a maintenance concern. Same as one car had titanium conrodsā€¦ thatā€™s not exactly the kind of thing you find here. The brakes were just a common occurrence and that certainly makes it easier to pick some finalists.

Also, Iā€™m nearly finished with the finalists :slight_smile: Still havenā€™t picked a winner yet, but Iā€™m crunching a few numbers for it.

5 Likes

Since when is a big front grille with chrome vents ā€œboringā€? Steph is clearly a little bitch without enough class to drive our cars. Big front grilles are the epitome of social status in car language.

Also if 6 piston vented discs would automatically eliminate someone from the competition, why not make it clear in the rules in the first place?

well let me explain
it is not meant to be clear. because itā€™s included in the sensibility ā€œruleā€
and what you consider sensible, he may not agree. so thatā€™s subjective.

but subjective is unfair you say? well re-read the challenge name again. itā€™s a Car Shopping based challenge.

like irl if you were to buy a car. why would you pick Car B over Car A when itā€™s clearly 110% better on paper? bias, subjectivity, reputation and all kinds of stuff that doesnā€™t connect directly with the car itself right?

so yeah. that kind of bias exists in this challenge series too. so a bit of luck is also involved.

sorry to break it to you. hope that can dilute the salt away from you :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

The back of the car was rather nice, but the front seems rushed if that makes any sense. It could use vents or something on either side of the grille to help fill the space. I didnā€™t flat out eliminate cars for styling, even if there were ā€œconcernsā€ around that in the reviews; only the colour and the convertible top or glass roof were the big thing in terms of style. Consider this a bit of constructive criticism: itā€™s hard to use 3 fixtures (4 if I count the lip) on a modern car and not have it seem unfinished.

Edit: just compared the version I got and the photos posted. Seems you have CaptainD00M vents on there, which I made clear to not use. I was judging looks on the car in front of me, not any posted photos.

As for the brakes, you canā€™t expect a round host to list off every single component or combination thereof that is not found in the target car market. I made it quite clear that I wanted realism and would eliminate non-realistic choices that purely boosted stats (hence why some disqualifications were made on engines). Since most CSR rounds have a target market, itā€™s up to those entering to research that market and see the type of choices they should make to appeal to the round host. This is especially true when realism is a strong consideration. Quickly hammering out a car to submit within the first day is usually not the way to go in terms of making a competitive entry.

5 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. I didnā€™t know who created the vents, all my mods came from steam workshop. And donā€™t get me wrong, I am not mad at anyone as I know my car wasnā€™t the best in terms of stats, but I know it wasnā€™t boring to look at.

@koolkei remember that the ā€œsensibilityā€ rule isnā€™t an actual rule in a game based on producing road legal cars. And keep in mind that not everyone is an expert car building genius and are in fact beginners. Therefore what people see as sensible will vary, hence why so many of us used ā€œunsensibleā€ options.

1 Like

#CSR35 Final Results

######(Stepping into character one final timeā€¦)

So, like, my birthday is in two days! Yay! Iā€™m sooo totally ready for my new car! Now, like, thereā€™s 8 cars I like that daddy is okay with buying and I need to, like, pick one. This is so hard!
Daddy says I should, like, look at all the good and bad of the cars but that he will, like, say no to something that costs too much to drive, you know?

1. So, like the first car I wonā€™t get is the Gardner Vallejo Sport. Itā€™s, like, the least flashy and totally the slowest. Also, like, too cheap. Cheap cars are so not hot. Maybe mom will like one as a, like, third car.

2. Next one to go is the Evgenis Phoenix CC 5.0 V12. Itā€™s, like, the least comfy car. I need something comfy. Itā€™s super fast and, like, really flashy, but the stereo is totally not the most kickass. Daddy says itā€™s one of the cheapest to drive, but what-ever.

3. The Valiant 12 Coupe has totally got to go. Itā€™s, like, not super fancy inside. Itā€™s totally easy to drive but, like, I donā€™t like it enough, you know? Daddy says its best on gas, but I donā€™t care. Itā€™s totally not the fastest.

4. The Zeal Nix, like, has to go too. The inside is totally the smallest and itā€™s, like, not super flashy. Itā€™s not bad but also, like, not super good, you know? Thereā€™s still that stupid speeding ticketā€¦

5. Ugh, this is so hard! Why canā€™t I just, like, get all these cars? The 8Nickel 7 SPec isnā€™t what I want to get. The other three cars have a more kickass stereo. Daddy is also, like, worried because it was totally the fastest car. How sweet of him.

6. My own top 3! Yay! So, like, next is the Pearlite Voyant. I love it but itā€™s also, like, huge, and thatā€™s hard to park, you know? Daddy made me remember when I tried to park his Hummer. Itā€™s also, like, cheaper and slower than the others.

7. So hard to decide! Well, like, the Bush Nicolae V12 is next to go. Why? Stereo isnā€™t totally kickass. Like, thatā€™s important, you know? It was super comfy, but I want the music too. I still love how flashy it is.

8. Last car! My future car is, like, totally the AM California. It looks like an Aston Martin and that is sooo hot! Itā€™s, like, not the comfiest but what-ever, the stereo is totally awesome. Itā€™s super flashy. Daddy says itā€™s super re-lia-ble so it shouldnā€™t break down. Yay! I canā€™t wait for my birthday in two days to drive this instead of my Mini!

(Stephy is, like, never coming back now. Damn it! I need sleep.)

Well this was a fun round to host :slight_smile: I hope it was enjoyable, even with a lot of cars getting cut for the same reason.
##Congrats to MarcoAlla for making Stephyā€™s favourite car.

Here is the top 7 list in order for hosting the next round (skipping phaleā€™s third place finish as he has already expressed that he will not be available to host the next round).

1. MarcoAlla
  2. Leonardo9613
  3. DoctorNarfy
  4. Nomade0013
  5. Microwave
  6. Cheeseman
  7. partario
19 Likes

Congratulations to MarcoAlla that AM California was deservedly handsome and thanks for hosting this round @thecarlover it was like, totally, fun! Stephy should make a comeback :joy:

Now I wanted to raise a question here as I like many this round fell into this trap of going for the stats with more piston callipers despite your warning! They were too tempting and as for the titanium conrods, well I actually forgot to make a sub-variant of the NRZ-996 engine. Still, I didnā€™t really expect to go far as Maesima would clearly be too common for Stephy :stuck_out_tongue:

But Iā€™d like to get some feedback about brake piston callipers as my research into real life cars via their brochures and such they almost never mention how many piston callipers at best youā€™ll get the size and type. While the game information does provide some perspective on which types to use itā€™s still a bit limited.

So does anyone any more information/advice/etc about such things?

5 Likes

Looks like @MarcoAlla deserved to winā€¦ for the first time! If only I had given my car 4-piston front brakes and a self-shifting gearboxā€¦ then I would have stood a much better chance of being a finalist this round (although I reckon my car would have been too cheap anyway to win overall). 6-piston calipers are a pain in the tailpipe, maintenance-wise, which is why they were (and still are) often reserved for serious performance cars, or more commonly, offered as aftermarket parts in real life.

1 Like

Wow! thatā€™s an unexpected victory for me, there was a lot of nice car!
Thanks @thecarlover for the competition, it was really fun!
So, this itā€™s my first victory in a CSR and i would be very pleased to host the next round, but thereā€™s a couple of things you guys have to know, first my english itā€™s not so good, and in the twelfth on march i will be at the Geneva International Motor show, (the real one), whitout an internet connection. Probably i can launch the next round tomorrow, but the twelfth i wonā€™t be able to respond to you.
Tips or suggestion are strongly welcome!

6 Likes

Who would have thought that a Bush would go second. I never expected it even to be a finalist, let alone come that close to a win - especially given how half assed the styling was, due to that weird bug Iā€™m having.

Congratulations to @MarcoAlla for winning.

2 Likes

Your English seems better than anything Stephy could do :wink:

As far as not being there for a day, thatā€™s not a problem. You can post the ruleset for the next round and say to not submit anything until after the 12th in case the rules have to be edited.

@Rk38 6 piston brakes seemed like they might be going too far, so I went and did some research and found that theyā€™re typically aftermarket performance upgrades and such, so not actually race per-se, that was just the dumbed down way to put it for the character. A single large piston is actually the industry standard (even the BMW M3 used that in 2005, not sure about currently) pressing on one side of the disc while anything higher than that is usually high performance, with at least one piston on either side of the disc to clamp down on it. However, the game doesnā€™t allow for different sizes of pistons that affect the wheel differently, and so 2, 3, and 4 piston setups are often used for realistic braking performance even though real cars rarely have them. Full realism would be 1 piston brakes, and 2 for the more high performance cars, but those really donā€™t work all the well in the game and so I set the cut-off at 6 pistons since those were going too far. A few cars had better braking performance when switching to 4 piston calipers, though the comfort stat was usually the most negatively affected by the change.

6 Likes

Ah, thanks for explaining. I guess thatā€™s why the majority of brochures donā€™t feel the need to list it if a single piston is enough. Iā€™ve only been looking at regular car brochures I should mention and the occasional affordable sports car.

But oddly enough I just stumbled on this brochure just after making my comment. It seems the Lexus LFA actually came with 6 piston brakes on page 14 . It is of course far more expensive and introduced later than this round was set so your rule was still fine.

Hmmā€¦in fact, looking at higher performance cars your rule still holds as the Aston Martin DB9 (2004-2009) only seems to use 4 piston setup on page 39. While the 2004 BMW M3 brochure makes no mention of the piston count so Iā€™m guessing your right about the industry standard.

Ohh, so the standard type seems to be a floating calliper which is usually only single while anything more is would be a fixed type with more on both sides like you said.

6 Likes

Oh wellā€¦ know I know why nobody else went with muscle bodyā€¦because you used some part of grey matter while reading op.
Great challenge btw and congats to new winner!

4 Likes

Gz to @MarcoAlla

FOA had an Aston clone but went with the monstrosity that Stephy knocked the badges offā€¦ We, at FOA, know that the badges were on when we sent it for viewing! :laughing:

2 Likes