The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

People’s Hero: Tishillyman Sagata 3.8 Turbo.

Written by Keith Hutchinson
First published on Driver’s Edge on Web, 17th July 2016

Back when I was in high school in 1988. There were 2 types of car we student drove. The school I attended to was not a luxurious one, but neither was it a hole. But the list of cars we had in the parking lot was quite interesting. A lot of people just drove a reliable used Dearborn or Mitsushita, typical bangers you could get for a few hundred to low thousand. But for every tin boxes, there are always some nice wheels. I knew of a guy who had a Bavaria UWOT28. That car was nice, but not exceedingly special, we always had 3-4 in the lot. Today we swoon all over nice example of those. And that’s not counting all the Dearborn Pinto Sport V8 that were very popular with hotrodders of the day.

A few years ago we start to get nostalgic for those cars. The feeling that still persist today. It doesn’t matter if it’s a battered small Japanese Ossan car, or the quintessential redneck BKOO Coupe. And that’s not even counting the car we couldn’t afford. All the Italian supercars, all the proper sports car that adorn our walls. That’s why a lot of these cars are appreciating in value massively. I’ve seen a Conan S44 “Euro” with small engine that went for low 10’s. Man, I remember the time when you could have a derelict one for hundreds!

The fact is, not all of us could afford all those cars back then. We can now, and we’re taking them up very quickly.

For me, one of the best 80’s nostalgia car that ever exist was one on the poster ads I put up above. Tishillyman Sagata.

I still remember vividly story of how I first saw one. It was a typical rainy day in 1988. Obviously. I was in New England back then. A dreary day by all account. As I got to school in my '77 BKOO however. A car pulled up in our parking lot. It looked like a product of it’s time, 1988. It didn’t look all that flashy back then, and finishing in exact Burgundy colour. It doesn’t look flashy today.

The car was gleaming, all new, with temp plate still on. A guy stepped off it, he was a thin man in glasses, very nerdy, I knew the guy very well, his name’s Jeff and he’s my classmate. He was not a pinnacle of cool, but on that day. Man, he became nearly unapproachable. Why? He just bought a Tishillyman Sagata Turbo, man! Back then that car was in the class of it’s own.

As much as it looks like typical Sagata, we could feel the difference just by standing next to it. It’s almost as if there’s an aura oozing from those 1980’s bodywork. Apart from the car’s factory bodykits, including a tiny lip spoiler. There’s not much to indicate that this was any difference. Oh that and the boot badges, which proudly presented 2 most important things you could put on a car in 1980’s.

It was TURBO DOHC.

Twin cam, turbocharged. The Sagata Turbo was special for that exact reason. They claimed that the 3.8-litre 6 cylinder engine produced “270hp”. Which technically was true. It did produce 270hp. But that was not flywheel horsepower. The car actually produce 270hp at the wheels and thus flywheel number is closer to 320. And that’s before we started to screwing around with the engine’s computer and turbo boost controller.

What Jeff had wasn’t a typical yuppies’ mobile then. It was a muscle cars killer. It might look like a businessmen express, but unless you were in another expensive German sports car, you ain’t gonna catch Jeff. But the Sagata was NOT expensive. It was about the price of normal German’s rival. Bavaria 280E and Carlotta 200i. But the Sagata had 320hp! It would take the Bavaria MK or Calotta MechS to beat one, let alone typical muscle Mangusta or BKOO that other kids had.

You may think that with a lot of power and angry, teenage hormones, Jeff totalled his Sagata. And he did 2 years later. Surprisingly, it wasn’t his fault at all. A BKOO truck ran red light, t-bone his car right in the middle.

The Sagata have, sadly, become unfortunately rare these day. A lot of people had one back then, and they wrecked a lot of them. Those that aren’t wrecked have been modified beyond usable point. 400hp? 500hp? Try 600hp with no internals reinforcement. But the nice original examples are exceedingly uncommon today. I think that is a shame. Because I remember how the drive in Jeff’s original example back in 1988 was already a hoot. You didn’t need to alter the car in anyway to make it good, it was already excellent.

Since the day it was totalled, Jeff never had another Sagata Turbo. Which I think is a shame, because I know, deep down, he still yearns for the day he could have one again.

Like I’m still yearning for one right now.

11 Likes

Hint of What I’m going for:

+

6 Likes

12 Likes

8 Likes

'80s THE TURBO ERA!

Is there anything better than a car made by a brand of a 3rd world country using bigger brands parts? [spoiler](modified GM engine)[/spoiler]
Of course not! You have the same great engine [spoiler](sometimes even better)[/spoiler] inside a sport car using the same great parts, for only a fraction of the original car price!

So what are you waiting to buy the all new Gamma Guara Turbo?

It is powered by a 3.0L inline-6 Turbo engine [spoiler](coff, Opel, coff)[/spoiler] that develops 230hp!

All this power is put to the ground by an 4-speed automatic gearbox for all your confort! [spoiler]Laziness[/spoiler]
(We also sell a 5-speed manual gearbox, but the auto was the one sent to test)

All that for only $17,550.00

9 Likes

Automation is being a bitch and still isn’t letting me rescale fixtures. The last two or three rounds we either cars I had already styled or completely half assed, as per the Bush Nicolae.

This one called for something good, and I even had a really nice idea, I felt, of making a mid-engined car, with a V6 engine, but it would call for a lot of styling tweaks, something I cannot do right now.

3 Likes

'87 BM Bean

Small doesn’t have to mean slow, and a naturally aspirated V6 makes sure of that. Coupled with a cutting edge all-wheel drive system, 62mph is achieved in a mere 4.8 seconds, carrying on past 140mph.

With 284 horses of pure fun under your foot, the hatchback just got hotter. [spoiler]Only $18,850[/spoiler]

7 Likes

Just under 10 hours left!

21 entries so far

@conan
@Dorifto_Dorito
@abg7
@nialloftara
@DeusExMackia
@doncornaldie
@HighOctaneLove
@Mythrin
@Fayeding_Spray
@DoctorNarfy
@Madrias
@NormanVauxhall
@lordvader1
@JohnWaldock
@Mikonp7
@laffinghyena
@ramthecowy
@ApocalypticInfinity
@Nomade0013
@TheElt
@koolkei

14 Likes

Boyd Serpent

Timeless minimalist design updated for the 80s. Lightweight construction and driver-focused 2 seat leather interior for the cultured enthusiast. Make a statement of taste and class with the Boyd Serpent. (Pictured in Smoky Mountain Blue.)

New for '87, the Serpent Turbo, featuring:

• Turbocharger with intercooler, increasing power output by 20%
  • Torsen® limited slip differential
  • Close-ratio transmission
  • Lightweight computer-machined billet steel crankshaft

RRP $15 860

8 Likes

Huh, it’ll be a close call. I’m not at home until then, thought there was a bit more time to go. Is it alright if I present it a little bit later?

Yeah, alright I’m willing to extend the deadline since I now realise there may some confusion with the time zones differences. So I’ll extend the deadline.

So you now have 46 hours 45 minutes remaining…

To make things fair If you’ve already submitted your entry you are allowed to revise your entry once before the new deadline comes to pass. (Just to note you can submit your adverts up to say rough 24-48 hours after the closing of entries and it doesn’t have to be anything fancy, just the brand name, trim, cost and image of the entry, etc)

Good luck everyone!

8 Likes

I made a car, but i think it’s pointless to submit it, it’s a 470HP turbo spaceframed “road legal” Group B.[quote=“Rk38, post:6742, topic:6447”]
You will have to balance performance, reliability, safety, economy and running costs will all be looked at along with sportiness and driveability.
[/quote]

3 Likes

I’ll have it!

I’m also struggling, thought I had a good vision but I’m just not quite feeling it! So this extension is handy for me.

i’m happy enough with this. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

THE NEW '87 LAMBDA INTEGRALE 16v

The rally car for the road!

The new INTEGRALE 16v it’s powered by a 1995cc L4 16v TURBO engine capable of 210hp and 298Nm of torque. Thanks to the advanced AWD transmission with a 55/45 torque split, the INTEGRALE accelerate form 0 to 100km/h in only 5.6s, providing excellent performance on every surface.

Have you ever immagined a 3 door Delta? here it is!

Starts from 18720$

The LAMBDA INTEGRALE 16v comes standard with an ANTHRAX cassette! Anthrax - Caught In A Mosh (Lyrics) - YouTube

16 Likes

I’m curious whether any of these turbo cars have any drivability or fuel economy. :laughing:

good fuel economy as a carburetor v8

@MarcoAlla Wow that is a good replica! I love it!

1 Like

Ok settled on an angle, now for the question…

To booscht or not to booscht?

Booscht: Hilarious acceleration, better speed, faster on track, totally fits the 80s brief, budget F40 insanity…

Not to booscht: Way better drivability, better handling and weight distribution, better driving pleasure for sporting purists, definitely wouldn’t get panned for being a terrifyingly expensive terror for 10 years like the original F40 did.

:thinking:

6 Likes

I went boost because the 80s were the turbo boom. Suddenly lots of turboed cars appeared and started to become common.

Of course all these stats are worse than a N/A, but the turbo is the 80’s soul.

The Gamma Guara Turbo is basically an Mazda RX-7 FC with a modified GM engine, LanEvo fog lights and some body differences to avoid a sue.

2 Likes