The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

My euro/muscle love child is looking pretty out of place among these exotics, I’m starting to regret sticking with the pushrods and the reasonably (for America) sized engine. Well at least I made it past the first cut.

This is the best writing I’ve seen in ages! No matter who wins, this round will be a tough act to follow!

And the Arrowhead, in a nutshell, arose from my idea of building a pony car with performance to rival a 328 at a much lower price - and with superior reliability to boot.

As for the results… it’s way too close to call as things stand right now. Most (if not all) of the cars that made the first cut are real contenders… Any of those could end up winning!

2 Likes

I didn’t realise he wanted an unreliable car. :sweat_smile: One of the reasons I have a ‘low’ redline is to maintain the sporty torque curve instead of it petering off towards redline. Clearly I was on the wrong track trying to emulate the performance of a real world non-super sports car of the period.

Yeah the Automation world contains a lot of decisions we make to optimise, as opposed to compromise. There’s probably a lot less undersquare engines here than in the real world, but the reasons for that and the upcoming changes to the balance that may affect gameplay are discussed elsewhere.

edit: damn I’m excited, I keep refreshing hoping the results will update soon

6 Likes

the decisions i had to make
if had i put a 3.0 nasp V6. it would be slower than the current inline 4 turbo, and also use more fuel than turbo
if had i put a 3.0 turbo v6. it would be bit faster, use more fuel, the car would weight more. and lets not forget the automation’s v6 turbolag

what could i do (after i read the review)
since a 3 liter inline 6 couldn’t fit inside transverse/longitudinal. i made a undersquare 2.0 liter inline 6 turbo. which had proved to be way better

• acceleration went from 6.9 to 4.9
  • i could rev it higher and had more power. 50 hp power increase
    -used less fuel than the inline 4 turbo. from 10 liter to 9.50 liter
2 Likes

Thanks for feedback everyone I’m glad it’s turning out okay because I’ve got a bit of a surprise planned :wink: Hopefully, it will be a unique sendoff for this round.

@titleguy1 Well thankfully cars came in at a mostly steady pace allowing me to get most of the reviews done earlier than the deadline.

@szafirowy01 Sure, go right ahead.

@Leedar It wouldn’t have really affected reliability much at all. Since a number of entries suffered this fault so I’m going to offer this advice that I myself had to learn from the members here as the game doesn’t really make it very clear.

A general rule is that you should always have some RPMs left over the peak. It will help the overall engine score and will help other scores like sport. Usually around at least 400-500 RPM above the peak output will be fine in most situations from the 1980s to present.

Final update incoming soon.

11 Likes

There are three, sometimes mutually exclusive goals of design in Automation competitions: best track performance, best Automation scores, and best subjective qualities. It’s often hard to tell which competition runners are looking for.

Personally, I avoid going into excess RPM reliability loss (due to internal limits or valve float, not raw RPM) for subjective reasons (I like making engines that are rock solid and have room for owner modification, rather than racing-style engines that are already at their limits).

It’s not universally true that an engine needs to have a redline after peak power to meet any of the three design goals; doing so is generally associated with high performance to smoothness/economy ratio, but low performance to weight/volume/material cost, low performance limits for a given design (cylinder count, valve train, etc.), and less satisfying subjective engine qualities for a sports car market (surging or flat torque near red line is more satisfying than declining torque, i.e. ‘running out of breath’). Aside from smoothness and economy, exceeding peak power also is important for maximum track performance when peak power is rule restricted.

1 Like

It’s about power access, if your peak power is at 7000 rpms and you’re at 80% power at 6500 then by putting your redline at 7500 your allowing the car to ride the peak power up and back down the curve, it also allows you to stay higher in the power band between shifts, instead of shifting at the peak of you power then dropping down 1000 or so you can shift 500 rpms past peak and catch the next gear 500 rpms before peak. If you build your engine with this mentality from the beginning you can set the bore and stroke to accommodate the higher rpm limit.

5 Likes

___

The Client enters

Cue dramatic music & lighting.

A Storm approaching in the bay. Still evening light washes across the waves.

I stand with the 14 gleaming new rides in stark contrast to the battered and worn warehouse. He takes a look at me and before I can speak he reaches into his pocket and pulls out…a cigarette and flips out his lighter. Lights it up.

I break the silence…“So you asked for it…” I start walking over to him arms open in an inviting manner.

“Here they are, 14 of the finest and greatest rides on the planet!” He takes one step towards me a grabs me by my shirt collar. Pulls out my weapon. Empties the shells to the floor in a clatter.

“They damn well better be…don’t try anything.” Raising my hands I manage to stutter “T-test them out for Y…yourself and take whichever you want.”

He turns to the cars and cast me aside. “Keys in the ignition I add” He takes a few steps towards the nearest the Ryujin. “This.” He points to the Ryujin. “Get this out of here!” Without questioning his reasoning I signal the dockworkers to take it away. He then turns his attention to the

Erin Scarlet X 3.8. He looks back at me and says

“Really?”

“Well, It’s got a great engine probably the best out of th-”

“What am I, James Bond?” I can’t afford this. Get it out of my sight"

Sigh, he’s not a reasonable man. But I’m not going to get on his bad side so the fantastic Scarlet must go along with the Ryujin.

Then he notices the Antonidas Scorcher “now this is what I’m talkin’ about.”

He walks over and opens it up then begins to take out the T-top “Hmmm…this could come in handy.”

He then he jumps up gravitating towards the Centauri Panther 5700Zi. Stepping inside checking it out the dash. He seems fairly pleased until he notices

“Wait…where the hell is the boost gauge!?”

I put my head in my hands and sigh “Umm…well you see it’s actually…It doesn’t have one. It’s naturally aspirated.”

The client repulsed leaps from the Panther. “I don’t need any of this last generation bull…Okay, you got it?” He gestures. “The Future is Turbocharged get these NA dinosaurs out of here.”

So just like that. A collection of fine automobiles were hurriedly taken from the warehouse. In a barrage of burning rubber and V8 roars. Such a shame to see the all those beauties go. Especially since they were such great performers. At least those dockworkers will get to enjoy their performance. Even the client seemed a bit dejected to see sleek designs like 822 Street and Arrowhead leave.

This left us with only seven cars left. The Adenine Mist, Taore RZ-2000 Turbo, Zavir Aera Turbo, Komodo Scalar 4Drive, GSI Butzi BiTurbo, Matteo Miglia Merlo Turbo and the BMMA Salmon GT-Sprint. A motley collection of vehicles now sat for their final judgement.

7th @phale - Adenine Mist

The first to go was the Adenine Mist. Sure it had the best fuel economy and was a great handling little machine. But the issues at hand were… Well, the client took an instant dislike toward the little sports car maybe it was the wing or something. Then he had trouble get in and finding the right seating position. But in the end, there was no denying it was the slowest vehicle left sure it was cheap and economical but so was the bus. So it had to go.

6th @4LGE - Taore RZ-2000 Turbo

Next on the chopping block was the Taore RZ-2000 Turbo. The spunky sports car was a real hit in the styling department. The client loved the TURBODRIVE button. But against the remaining competition, even that button wasn’t enough to match up. The large capacity engines smoked it. It wasn’t cheap enough in economy, outright price or servicing to match. So with regret RZ-2000 had to go.

5th @szafirowy01 - Zavir Aera Turbo

This left us with the final five. First to go was the Zavir Aera Turbo. The only four-cylinder to make it here. But while it was quick and extremely fine handling car. It’s poor fuel economy, expensive servicing costs. Plus a harsh ride that almost made it impossible to light a cigarette. Along virtually no practicality at all it so it had to go.

4th @koolkei - Komodo Scalar 4Drive

Next up was the Komodo Scalar 4Drive. This had a lot going for it. Being the most practical, comfortable, safest. Yet oddly also the loudest, outshining the V8s. It was also the cheapest to buy. Not only that but the client loved the styling although as I wondered it could really do with a nice spoiler. But it had somewhat poor fuel economy. In the end, it just wasn’t that sporty among the rivals left. Plus handling couldn’t quite match up either. But did do well especially considering the price.

3rd @oppositelock - GSI Butzi BiTurbo

Now logically speaking the GSI Butzi BiTurbo should win this one. It’s unquestionably the fastest vehicle here. Both in outright speed and off the line, even around a racetrack or the quarter mile, however, you cut it it’s damn quick. Yet still, it’s able to pack a plush ride for four. While returning very reasonable fuel economy and relatively good servicing costs. Although it is a rather unassuming almost plainly styled vehicle, that can be a bit tricky to drive at the limit. But mostly it’s minimalist looks couldn’t win over the client. No matter how much he drove it. The avant-garde lack of rear taillight design not only presented a very real danger on the roads. Taking the minimalist approach to extreme levels. Which in the end only achieved an empty forlorn look to the tail. In a more just world perhaps this car would win but we live in a dark timeline. The next one was the hardest choice of all.

2nd @NormanVauxhall - BMMA Salmon GT-Sprint

The BMMA Salmon GT-Sprint our client loved the styling of this one. While it was down against its rivals in outright performance. It still a really fun car to drive. It had the best fuel economy of the five. Lowest servicing cost and the engine was the smoothest of the bunch and with the AWD it was a breeze to drive too. But in the end, our client realised he was not Kurt Russel no matter how much John Carpenter music he listens too.

1st @Strop - Matteo Miglia Merlo Turbo

This left us with only one vehicle, the unlikely Italian entry. The Matteo Miglia Merlo Turbo. While we all found its paint job a bit strange. As it tends to hide the exquisite styling of the car beneath a layer of mysterious dark hues. There was no denying it was a pretty machine. Sure the front wasn’t as brutal and aggressively striking as the GT-Sprint. But the side and rear profile were the stuff of bedroom posters.

Our client figured that back of this car is all anyone will ever see anyway. Now this car was far and away the sportiest, most prestige and best handling vehicle here. Sure it was only okay on gas, the magnesium wheels were an expensively crazy choice. Only a mad Italian company would think logical. The viscous LSD completely second rate compared to the rest with geared LSDs.

But as we all know it’s car with faults like these that we can forgive as where it matters on the road they are golden. The faults don’t detract from the car they’re part of the charm and character of it. That’s something the Italians always do well. Sure it’s not perfect but that’s what makes it great…it’s also a total blast to drive.

As the last cars left the warehouse. The client walked over to me put his hand on my shoulder took a drag from his cigarette and then said.

“Not bad, not bad at all. You did good.” He hands me back my revolver. Then climbed into the Merlo and fired up the big turbocharged V8. Smoked the tyres all the way out into the dock and disappeared back into the rain-soaked neon glow of the city. I let out a sigh of relief I’ve escaped with my life.

Epilogue

But as I looked out into the docks with the rain still pouring down. I couldn’t help but think…damn it! Why didn’t I keep one of those cars for myself? I’ll never get a cab in this weather and the nearest phone box is at least a mile away. I didn’t fancy waiting it out here in this draughty warehouse. Maybe a cigarette will calm me down.

But as I went to light it I noticed one of the dock workers still putting away a car. Wait they’re loading them onto trucks. Those were my rides to sell. What the hell is going on? As I’m about to rush over some dark black sedans like the Kimura pull up. Armed men get out. Their leader he was a short man with striking features. No doubt it was the Mafia. He walks up to me says.
“Your friend from the docks sent me.”
That bastard sold me out.
“Hey look, man, I don’t want any trouble…you can keep the cars.” Oh crap, this looks bad now.
“I’m sorry, it doesn’t work like that.”
He pulled out a stainless steel pistol from his dark suit jacket and pulls back the slide.
“You’re being replaced.”
Like Hell. I dive behind some crates. Avoiding the barrage of fire. Surrounded, with no damn ammo in my gun. I pulled out my speedloader and prepare for my final stand. But then I hear sirens in the distance. Peeking from the corner. I see the flashing lights of the police closing in and something else.
A familiar engine rumble…it couldn’t be but then that Merlo flew past and pull up outside. The client letting out a wave of gunfire give me enough cover to make a dash for the car. I slide over the bonnet and into the passenger’s seat. In the confusion, I thought we’d get away but the docks were now swarming with Mafia and police.
“Buckle up.”
He said putting away his gun as he shifted into gear and lit up the wheels and flicked on the Mixtape No.4.
We sped through the dockyard which was now a hive of activity. The Merlo’s outstanding handling sliding around every blocked corner. As the police and mafia closed in on us. Around the maze of shipping containers. Damn those guys all over the place.
“Those bastards are taken my cars!”
I said as the mafia rushed to unload all the entries.
But without responding the client put out his pistol. Slide around a corner and fired towards the following pack. The shells hit their tyres. They spun out of control, rolling over into the nearby trucks. The whole thing exploded into a fireball. That seemed to take care of the most of them.

But the boss kept coming…having taken control of the Sagata 3.8 Turbo. Damn, that thing is one of the few car powerful enough to catch us up. The police were in hot pursuit too. As we shored things up and gunned it for the dock exit. We screamed up the ramp flying over the nearby parked cars and crashing in a flash of sparks on the on the streets.

The Sagata followed suit but the police lacked the speed and piled up into the park cars. The Merlo weaving between the traffic and bullets from the Sagata. A few police cars managed to follow but the Mafia made short work of them lighting them up. Turning them into explosive wrecks. Smashing into innocent traffic.

Now it was a straight fight between the Merlo and Sagata. The first and last cars from our test clashed together. Around the mean streets of the city and through many gratuitous boxes in the tight alleyways. Coming out of the lanes and narrowly avoiding a truck. Letting the Sagata catch up. It was side by side with the Merlo.

They rammed into us. Trying a pit manoeuvre smashing into the beautiful bodywork. But the client was too good a driver and Merlo too fine a handling car to let go. We just drifted along for moment until the client spun us around and sped off. Darted the Merlo across a red lit intersection causing a massive pile up. Somehow the Sagata made it through too.

Flying it down the longest straight in the city, The road under the rail overpass. Clocking out at around 250 km/h while trying to avoid passing traffic from the streets. The Sagata could barely keep up. I clung from the window desperately getting some shots off. Taking out the Sagata’s wing mirrors. As I dump the shells letting them flying into the cabin. We reaching the end line.

We see a gas station. Now’s our chance. The client shifted down, handbrakes and slide the Merlo around 180. As we fired at the Sagata take out front tyres on the right. It slides helplessly into the gas station. Exploding into a massive fireball destroying the Sagata and the Mafia with it. Although we were too cool to look back and check.

Basking in this crowning moment of glory. We hear the sirens approaching. The police were still coming. The client shifted it back to first and smoked the tyres as we sped off down a back street and into the night.

Hours later.

He pulled up back at my apartment with the Merlo looking a little worse for wear. The left-hand side of tail dented and pushed in. The rest of the body littered with bullet holes, scratches and dents. The premium cabin now filled with broken glass and bullet shells.
“Well…I guess you owe me a new car.” He quipped.
Looking at the condition of it.
“I suppose…you’re right.”
“But next time, make it red.”
“You got it, buddy,” I replied still wondering how the heck I’d be able to do that now that my contacts were dead and the docks were a burning wreck.

Slow pan out towards the city as the battered Merlo slowly cruises off into the distance.

Congrats to @strop and thank you to everyone who entered it was fun.

26 Likes

Holy hell. That was a fun round. Really nice. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

No surprises here - it seems that the client preferred the brute force of a turbo to the linearity of normal aspiration, and fittingly, the sportiest car (which happened to look most like an F40) won!

So after 37 rounds, CSR finally comes full circle. Well done @strop!

And hats off to @Rk38 for hosting the most compelling CSR round ever, and creating an epilogue straight out of Miami Vice!

P.S. The Merlo actually looks ace in dark colors such as the deep purple chosen for the example submitted.

5 Likes

Holy hell that was fun to read! And what a soundtrack. Glad the Scarlet didn’t get destroyed or damaged, those things are worth quite a lot these days :wink:

Big congrats to @strop, I am digging the looks of the Merlo and the name is just so perfectly exotic (if a little bit a of tongue twister ;)).

Superb round @Rk38, you most certainly did not disappoint. Easily one of the most memorable moments of this competition so far.

6 Likes

So I hope everyone enjoyed that round. Now while a few people attempted to recreate classic 80’s legends. I actually had in mind a certain car in mind while creating this round. That along with the extensive research…many hours of synth wave 80’s music I realised something like a Ferrari especially the iconic F-40 would have to win it. Although I didn’t count on the BMMA Salmon GT-Sprint… Because damn @NormanVauxhall that is one sexy design.

Anyway this was the car I had in mind, a fictional car from the little known anime Riding Beam called the BUFF which as it happens is a sort of Ferrari meets Group B RS200 inspired crazy thing.

Here is my attempt to recreate it here and I’ll leave the design here for anyone to mess do what they like with it.

Rk38 - Riding Beam.zip (30.7 KB)
From this diagram, I found online you see it has an insane boost, and huge engine apparently allowing it to reach 100 km/h in only 3.2 seconds. So @oppositelock you were nearly spot on stats wise.

In addition, these were some quick reference benchmarks from the era. I used to help gauge where the entries sat.

Mazda RX-7 GT
136kW
245Nm
1210kg
Top Speed 240 km/h
0-100 6.5 seconds
Fuel economy 14.3l/100km

Nissan 300ZX Turbo
167kW
334Nm
1479kg
Top Speed 251 km/h
0-100 6.7 seconds
Fuel economy 12/100km

Porsche 911 Turbo Sport
243kW
431Nm
1360kg
Top Speed 275 km/h
0-100 5.2 seconds
Fuel economy 13.7/100km

Audi Quattro Sport
225kW
350Nm
1300kg
Top Speed 250 km/h
0-100 5 seconds
Fuel economy 11/100km

BMW M3
147kW
240Nm
1165kg
Top Speed 235 km/h
0-100 6.7 seconds
Fuel economy 8.3/100km

Toyota Celica Turbo 4WD
136kW
250Nm
1410kg
Top Speed 220 km/h
0-100 8.0 seconds
Fuel economy 9.1/100km

Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
173kW
344Nm
1692kg
Top Speed 243 km/h
0-100 7.5 seconds
Fuel economy 10.9/100km

Ferrari F40
356kW
576Nm
1100kg
Top Speed 323 km/h
0-100 4.7 seconds
Fuel economy 14.5/100km

Now just to make it clear for the next round of hosting here’s the top seven (why seven? For nineteen eighty-seven of course) I and everyone else kind of mostly forgot about the telling if you can host. But @phale has told me he isn’t available and I don’t think @oppositelock wants to either. So please if your name in this list could let me know if you can host the next round or not.

1st @Strop [color=green]- available for hosting[/color]
2nd @NormanVauxhall [color=red]- not available for hosting[/color]
3rd @oppositelock [color=red]- not available for hosting[/color]
4th @koolkei [color=green]- available for hosting[/color]
5th @szafirowy01 [color=green]- available for hosting[/color]
6th @4LGE [color=green]- available for hosting[/color]
7th @phale [color=red]- not available for hosting[/color]

Best driveability @LordLetto - Letto Crown Victoria with 62.6

Worst driveability @4LGE - Taore RZ-2K TURBODRIVE with 34.3

Best sportiness @Strop - Matteo Miglia Merlo Turbo with 50.1

Worse sportiness @LordLetto - Letto Crown Victoria with 11.2

Best comfort @DoctorNarfy - Shromet Interval 340GT with 47.1

Worse comfort @TheElt - BM Beam with 19.5

Highest Safety @LordLetto - Letto Crown Victoria with 51.6

Lowest Safety @TheElt - BM Beam with 27.2

Most Prestigious @Mikonp7 - EcaMobile Modern Talking with 43.9

Least Prestigious @Madrias - Sinistra Warrior SE-4 with 23.4

Most Practical @LordLetto - Letto Crown Victoria with 64.1

Least Practical @Leedar - Boyd Serpent Turbo with 0.0

Highest Reliability @abg7 - NMI Arrowhead 5.7 with 70

Lowest Reliability @doncornaldie - 226L with 46.6

Heaviest @thecarlover - CM Quebec SC at 1522.5kg

Lightest @szafirowy01 - Zavir Aera Turbo at 918.1kg

Most Economical @Dorifto_Dorito - OAM Phoenix GTi Overdrive using 8.78l/100km

Least Economical @TheElt - BM Beam using 17.91l/100km

Highest Top Speed @ramthecowy - Ryujin clocking in at 296.2 km/h

Lowest Top Speed @DoctorNarfy - Shromet Interval 340GT clocking in at 191.7 km/h

Best Acceleration @oppositelock - GSI Butzi BiTurbo 0-100km/h in 3.5 seconds

Worse Acceleration @LordLetto - Letto Crown Victoria 0-100km/h in 8.2 seconds

Best Cornering 20.00 m @Strop - Matteo Miglia Merlo Turbo pulling 1.17g

Worse Cornering 20.00 m @LordLetto - Letto Crown Victoria pulling 0.89g

Best Quarter Mile @oppositelock - GSI Butzi BiTurbo 0-100km/h with 11.82 seconds

Worst Quarter Mile @LordLetto - Letto Crown Victoria 0-100km/h with 16.02 seconds

Best Braking @phale - Adenine Mist stopping in only 28.85 m

Worse Braking @Conan - Tishillyman Sagata 3.8 Turbo stopping in only 34.57 m

Fastest ATT Time @oppositelock - GSI Butzi BiTurbo with a 2:13.15

Slowest ATT Time @LordLetto - Letto Crown Victoria with a 2:39.74

Best Throttle Response @DeusExMackia - Erin Scarlet X 3.8 with 44.4

Worst Throttle Response @lordvader1 - LVC ARCA ARCHA with 23.2

Smoothest Engine @TR8R - First Order Automotive Hunt DCi with 84.8

Least Smooth Engine @Madrias - Sinistra Warrior SE-4 with 39.8

Most Powerful Car @oppositelock - GSI Butzi BiTurbo with 271.3 kW

Least Powerful Car @Madrias - Sinistra Warrior SE-4 with 111.1 kW

Loudest Car @ramthecowy - Ryujin with 59.4

Quietest Car @Conan - Tishillyman Sagata 3.8 Turbo with 23.9

Most Expensive Car @DeusExMackia - Erin Scarlet X 3.8 with $23,790

Cheapest Car @lordvader1 - LVC ARCA ARCHA with $14,690

Most Expensive Car to Run @doncornaldie - 226L with $4,034

Cheapest Car to Run @Dorifto_Dorito - OAM Phoenix GTi Overdrive with $2,324

Most common Chassis Materials
Corrosion Rest. Steel Monocoque / Corrosion Rest. Steel Panels

Most common Suspension setup
Double Wishbone front and rear

Most common Gearbox type
5-speed manual

Most common differential type
Geared LSD

Most common engine type
V8

Words Written
Over 10,000 words.

20 Likes

Riding Bean is a classic! Thats one fancy replica you’ve got there :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Least comfortable, least safe and least efficient? Well at least I can say I crammed a silly V6 in a hatchback and it was relatively quick in a straight line (So long as the line wasn’t very long).

Love the little breakdown at the end, nice to see the best and the worst!

2 Likes

@Rk38 this round… has got to be right up there. One of the best under the name of CSR. I don’t think anyone doubted you for a second (especially after that wikia reveal of Anikatia :joy:) but this is beyond belief. So many gifs. So many photoshops. Comprehensive lore. References. Songs. 10000 words+ of writing. The quality of production of every bit is top notch, if not beyond. Seriously, I bow to you. Big :heart:.

that said, not meaning to undermine your results or anything, but this…

I’m not sure about because the Ryujin has an indicated top speed of 296.2kmh in my game. What does it say on your end?

9 Likes

dude
stop.
csr
too good

this is only a round
not a full blown challenge.
too much effort
the standard has been lifted again.

other than that. i’m pretty speechless. didn’t even expect that r extra ending.

8 Likes

Oops, my bad! That one slipped past me as I kinda just threw that list together last minute. You are correct the Ryujin is the fastest. I’ve fixed that now.

3 Likes

Wahey! At least mine is good at something (even better that it’s main purpose is speed, so all the better) :smile:

2 Likes

This round is something indeed. A lot of people really got into it.
Very good . I am excited for part 2

In my game my car has 43.9 Prestige. Could you maybe tell me what it says in yours ?

2 Likes