The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

I there anything against creating a modern trim with a quite old body?

Iā€™ve got something I can make work. Will build an all-new variant of it, but everyoneā€™s going to have something unpleasant to compete withā€¦

I just need to decide whether itā€™ll look better in Red, or Orange, keeping in mind that those colors have meaning in Storm Automotive loreā€¦

Which fuel should I choose to emulate diesel in terms of price?

is dizel ute even a thing?

I have absolutely no idea :smile:

is flatplane v8 in a ute a thing?

I have never heard of car-based utes which offer flat-crank V8s and/or diesel engines.

And I just cooked up a wildcard that may spring a surprise or twoā€¦

I mean generally speaking and as far as the rule set goes the term ute in Australia pretty much means any light commercial vehicleā€¦that isnā€™t a massive huge American thing. So think Hilux aka the best-selling vehicle in Australia at the moment rather than just only Holden and Ford utes.

4 Likes

Ohh itā€™s on! I have thought about a line of light trucks. Did have the Hilux in mind. Already have a name in mind.

ā€œDonā€™t blame the Ruck, Johnson! Itā€™s a solid Ruck!ā€

As soon as Australia was mentioned yesterday, I knew what I had to make. Now to find the perfect body in Automation.
What mods are allowed, High Quality Essentials I assume, but can we use others? I may need to find a particular bodyā€¦

Apparently the body I am looking for hasnā€™t been made :cry:
Time to find a suitable bodyā€¦

Soo this time around, should I know something about her not likingā€¦I donā€™t knowā€¦car shape that looks like a mexican or maybe she really hates quad light and itā€™s obvious becauseā€¦stuff?

1 Like

My biggest difficulty right now is whether to go Jackal or Starfire. Some of you might recognize the first name. Most, if not all of you, wonā€™t know the second.

Either way, itā€™s going to beā€¦ Interesting.

Iā€™m going all out and building a ute with the internals of the LS400 :stuck_out_tongue:

Scratch that, Iā€™m making it a twinturbo V8 while Iā€™m at it

6 Likes

I think I have the Excel sheet and formulas set up correctly, looks like my 2006 test vehicle would incur $127,447 in service costs?? Is the service cost formula supposed to calculate for a 30 year period based on the ā€œ*30ā€ part of the equation? That canā€™t possibly be per-year service costsā€¦

I copy pasted the equations into excel and pointed the variables to the appropriate data entries. Maybe someone can see where I have gone astray.

i think you havenā€™t mathed gud

I think the *30 can be correct, he explicitly said that in Australia running a car is expensive, and that calc is for 10 years, so itā€™s like 3 times more than Gasmea in the same period of time. But i did not understand the Fuel Cost, which value we shoud be use? Previusly on the post he said ā€œfuel cost comes to 180 * fuel price * L/100km per yearā€, ("For 91, itā€™s $1.70/L, 95, $1.90/L and 98, $2.10/L "); why multiply it by 30? IMHO it would be more correct to multiply it by 10.

P.S. One copyright strike :stuck_out_tongue:

I assumed the ā€œfuel costā€ referred to the ā€œyearly fuel costā€ as calculated by Stropā€™s formula. I also assume the ā€œserviceā€ cost formula was a yearly service cost, but because of the *30 and +11 to trim age portions I am a bit confused.

Copyright? Was that your excel sheet I changed for this? It was easier to copy the bones of it than make all the headings and things from scratch. :\

One more edit: Strop mentions multiplying the in-game bills by 3, could the ā€œ30ā€ be a mistype and supposed to be a ā€œ3ā€? Still seems rather high for a yearly service cost ($25,715). The +11 I assume means that cars up to 11 years old do not incur increased costs, which makes sense based on the ā€œloreā€ of the challenge.

I think itā€™s better to wait for strop and donā€™t choke the thread with suppositions.

So: @strop can you better explain this part?

=(Emissions Tax + Insurance + Fuel Cost)* 30+((Trim and Engine Service Costs)* ((1-1.05^(Trim Age + 11)/(-0.05)/10)* 70/Reliability))

Why multiplied by 30? Why adding 11 to the trim age?
What is Fuel cost? The yearly fuel cost calculated with the formula on your post?
Trim and engine service cost are the sum of both or only the number you can find in ā€œDetail Statsā€?

By the way, talking about the excel sheet copyright strike: I was joking

1 Like

I donā€™t mind, actually I was hoping to make a public sheet myself but havenā€™t had a chance. Also probably a good idea to vet the sheet as yes, itā€™s quite possible that I accidentally tripled the fuel cost on top, and that will overly weight fuel consumption!!!

And yes, I made a big deal of 'strayan utes because they conjure up the image but other workhorse utes like the Toyota Hilux do the job well. Whether itā€™s what we really want dependsā€¦

Iā€™ll correct the formulae tonight, and release the client details. Then we can really start cooking with gas.

Edit: some clarifications.

The costs are calculated for ten years of ownership. Since the costs in Automation are calculated annually, thatā€™s * 10, so multiply that by 3 again gives you 30. A regular mid to high end Ford Falcon Ute will on average actually cost you close to 10k AUD to run a year, not even joking. So expect the total running costs to be anywhere from 60-100k or even more.

As for service costs, I am fairly inflating the costs because these vehicles are often used and abused heavily. The majority of them end up binned fairly rapidly. The remainder are collector items. Our client will do their best to keep it running perfectly but her needs are fairly strenuous, no avoiding that. Thatā€™s why I used a geometric series to calculate accumulated costs over ten years, based on the age of the car. The big question people are asking is why does it look like I calculated 11 years instead of 10 though?

Consider the geometric series 1 + x + x^2 + ā€¦ + x^n. How do you calculate this? Multiply it by (1 - x)/(1 -x). You will find that all the terms cancel and gives you (1 - x^(n + 1))/(1 - x). In this case I nominated, I think, x = 0.05 or something, hence (1 - 0.05^(n + 1))/-0.05. but n here is the age of the car plus ten years. I just put in 2017 - trim year for that, so thatā€™s why it reads (1 - x^(2027 - trim year))/-0.05.

Feel free to continue asking, I was very tired when I wrote the sheet so it may have other errors.

5 Likes

Would an Automatic or a Manual be the preferred choice?