The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

@DeusExMackia: Ironically, it’s basically the same front end I used in the last CSR, with the '87 Sinistra Warrior SE-4. Modern version of the lights, LED foglamps, but pretty much identical. I was trying to find a nice balance between “Looks good for this era” and “Can be reused many times over the years.” I figure, it can carry from late '80’s to mid '00’s without being too badly dated, and carried forward if desired.

Of course, nothing about Sinistra is final until UE4, but that’s not stopping me from trying some ideas.

@abg7: Mine wasn’t intended to contrast, but in a way, I’m glad it has. You went for one half of the equation, I went for the other. You built an efficient and comfortable ute that’s likely a great driver’s car. I’ve built a ute designed to haul things, but is capable of also hauling ass. I aimed to have decent fuel efficiency, though with 7.7 liters of V8 under the hood, it’s not the most efficient, and not the most comfortable, but still reasonable enough, I think.

Basically, this was my way of building a better version of the Storm Jackal, one that fit within the budget and wasn’t quite so insane.

2 Likes

Can you guess the side I’m trying to appeal to here. Who needs a useful utility vehicle, amirite?

4 Likes

Hmm. Here’s me hoping that @Strop will buck expectations and weight performance unexpectedly low. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Can confirm that this idea is a good one :wink:

2 Likes

From the factory brochure.
The Centauri Ridgeback Express, the hard working ute for the hard working driver. Powered by a 6.0 liter turbo straight 6 revving to 6000 rpms mated to a 6 speed transmission this rugged hauler is up for whatever challenge you throw at it. Inside you have comfortable seating for 3 with a durable interior, everything about this vehicle is designed with an eye towards longevity, this will be your solid companion for many years to come. $17,900

4 Likes

I haven’t opened any entries so far, but I have downloaded entries from the following:

@lordvader1
@doncornaldie
@HighOctaneLove
@TR8R
@DeusExMackia
@abg7
@Madrias
@nialloftara
@Mikonp7

I think that was all of them so far.

5 Likes

2010 JHW Peregrine HST

Light on gas, Big on fun!

from $16,500 AUD

6 Likes

Just an FYI, you said the spreadsheet was made by “BobLobLaw” in your original post, but my name is “TheBobWiley”.

ooh, err, misattribution is bad. Thanks for letting me know!

2 Likes

Sometimes I think you should have a furry deer character with teal color fur.

Joke aside, I really appreciate the great immersion you create around the rounds.

2 Likes

Well now, actually you may not remember that Cen and I did sneak in a teal deer into our sponsor lineup :laughing: on no less than your Znopresk Zeus for the AMWEC.

The proof:

4 Likes

Dropping the Electronic LSD has suddenly opened up so much money… and my grip didn’t change much… cool. Now I have to rework the car. Really hoping I can get the styling done this week before the deadline as it should help push it to the top. :slight_smile:

Looking at the posts so far… my 40mpg, 0-100kmh in 6.9s, 131mph top speed UTE looks weak… but the costs are so damn low! Fear not, I am trying to make a more powerful engine, I want to at least get to 100kmh in 6 seconds.

2 Likes

Yeah e-diffs are pretty damn expensive. They’re only worth it in cars in whom otherwise all you do is lay fat elevenses. Fun fact: the first CSR was won by Niall with a car that only worked because it had an e-diff: otherwise 400bhp in an FF sedan would have been real trouble!

3 Likes

2015 Versal Penumbra Bi-Turbo

2 turbos and 3.5 litres of V6 power allow speed and performance whilst retaining reliabilty. If you want a ute with class on the inside this is the one for you 2 leather seats and great infotainment keep you comfy , most importantly comes with air conditioning.

13 Likes

I can’t help but notice an uncanny similarity between my entry and yours: bright blue exterior color, turbo six-cylinder engine up front, and a full premium interior!

In 1994 Petoskey Motors built the Daemon for export.

The Daemon was designed to be a multipurpose vehicle with variants serving multiple needs much like the Model B was from the 1940s.

Different variants included a wagon, sedan, hatchback (pictured) and utility. The car used the 301 TriForce V8.

Consumer studies showed little chance for success in the United States as they had their full size car demands met with the Enforcer. Wagons were equally met with the Enforcer Estate and Stasera minivan. The Petoskey Lakota served the purpose nicely that a pickup variant would assume so it was clear this car had no chance in the US. So they turned to the export market.

This particular vehicle for sale is a 1997 Petoskey Daemon TK.

This vehicle is of the second generation which was made in Australia. The engine is a Yankee built Gen II 301 TriForce good for 313 horsepower. The TriForce is well known for output without the sacrifice of fuel efficiency. A rear coil spring setup allows for decent handling qualities while maintaining decent load capacity enabling you to haul damn near anything.

Come on down and take a look at a Daemon!

9 Likes

Hey mate, saw this in the classifieds today and I thought it was just what you were looking for. Not the most powerful UTE out there, and it doesn’t have a massive bed, but look at that economy, body, and paint work!

(I will put up my standard car brochure in the next day or two listing the full specs of the vehicle from the factory and showcasing better pictures of it. I think I have this dialed in as best as I can without trying out an entirely new engine so I should submit it the same time I put the brochure up. Really wish there was a Ford Falcon body.)

EDIT: I built a bigger engine and dropped the 0-100kmh times by half a second, only losing about .14 L/100km (~1mpg)! The reliability has gotten pretty low unfortunatly, but it’s been well balanced so the Total Ownership cost only increased by $400, and the Buying Price actually dropped about $200!

8 Likes

Those similarities are purely coincidental I assure you. But yes they are quite similar

1 Like

BM Viper

Mad enough to make the outback scared, and every traffic light stay green

8 Likes

farmer at day
racer at night

8 Likes