The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

I guess @DoctorNarfy can repeat it himself to make it official, but I read on Discord that the competition doesn’t care about emissions.

That’s Correct. Catalytic converters were barely available on cars in poorer countries in the late 80s, and did not become mandatory until the 90s. Not necessary. It’s a nice benefit, but the money could pretty much always be put somewhere else better.

3 Likes

Very interested in this challenge. Love a cheap car challenge :smiley:

6 Likes

Do manufacturing facilities factor into the competition at all, i.e. is there a penalty for requiring special facilities like forges or expensive tooling like with monocoque chassis?

2 Likes

New from NNCC (NoName Car Company) comes the NNCC Troupe. NoName is pronounced No-Nam-ay.

An exciting prospect for emerging countries and economies.

3 seating configurations, 2 trim levels.

It’s a cheerful little vanette or a family car. If you buy the 4/5 seated variations then it’s BOTH as the rear seats are easily removed when you need to shift stuff.

This blurb should have been in the advert (below) but it’s too late now! :laughing:

7 Likes

Of course cheaper parts mean cheaper ownership costs, which is a big benefit. Forged Pistons would probably be a borderline trip to the Gulag, But as far as just assembly, in the case of monocoque, I would not be that concerned. Orbistan may not be the richest country in the world, but they do have advanced enough assembly from military engineering and whatnot that it wouldn’t dissuade them from picking a car based off an assembly choice. You just need to ask yourself how the car is to live with for a poorer citizen, rather than how it is to assemble.

5 Likes

O.K.B. 1000 ‘Ishak’

Car That Will Last Longer Than Tenk. $6200

10 Likes

#Erin Merna S 1.6 “Orbistan Special”

It’s a Mk 4 Erin Merna! Only this one has been slightly modified to make it more suitable to this very new market for the company. It’s a base level S trim model with a 1.6l i4 engine, which has only had to have minor modifications to allow it to run on 80 RON fuel, meaning you still get [rainbow]m̶u̶l̶t̶i̶-̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶ single-point injection![/rainbow]*
cos Erin 1980s lore

Other than that, this is still very much the same as a model you would have been able to buy in the 1980s, save for some slight cost savings on build quality…

*Edit: May have falsely advertised, this model only has SPFi. We got our own lore wrong ffs.

11 Likes

Type 85 (proposal)

Cute car for communist people (CCCP). $6600 production cost.

7 Likes

is it amd ? i had to underclock mine to make it not make black and grey lines on my screen

Orchid Abysma 1600L

An all new model from Orchid based on the original Lyrel chassis using the same glass, doors and bonnet. No panels should be rusting any time soon due to their coating and the interior is designed to be rugged and simple with an easy to use radio and cloth seats are fitted.

Simplicity from a very non-western car… * timid eye movements *

[spoiler]Not the best first impression of Orchid I know many of the workers were reluctant to even conceive the idea of such a vehicle.[/spoiler]

9 Likes

Contendiente Nadezhda.

Workers need tools. We’re here to provide these tools. The all new Contendiente Nadezhda is powered by a 1.3L, naturally aspirated, long stroke I3. Workers will have plenty of torque to carry heavy loads.

Mounting MacPherson struts on the front and leaf springs on the rear, this car will be very capable offroad. We’ve also payed special attention to engineering times: it will be able to be assembled in time. This pickup only costs 7100$ to produce, comrade.

7 Likes

Mmmhh… Maybe it can work.

@Mythrin Audi called. They want whoever in Orchid stole their designs of the Audi 80 to own up.

5 Likes

So similar to mine its not even funny…

True communist car must always steal from capitalist swine. Creative employee go straight to gulag.

2 Likes

#Introducing the '85 Yucatan Santaka

Designed with the finest Mexico has to offer, the Yucatan Santaka is the latest word in cheap, rugged transport.
The ancient OHV engine has been teamed up with modern tech to produce sufficient power and adequate fuel economy.
Meanwhile, the off-road ready mechanicals are perfect for transversing low-grip terrain, like mud or snow.

Get yours now, for just $7,400.

11 Likes

Man I tried so hard to make this body work, but I had to dial back the quality sliders more than I was comfortable with, in exchange for the 4x4. I decided on a wagon instead…

9 Likes

PEMA - Medellín

The PEMA is a small colombian manufacturer that just oppened up and expect to make business with the URSS government.

Our newly project is the Medellín, a wagon so you can carry all that “luggage”.

It’s powered by a 2.0L OHC engine, granting torque and enough economy. Our carburettor means cheaper cost repair, since an electronic fuel injection will easily suck the little money you have on your pocket.

The space is great! 2284L for passengers and 903L for “luggage”.
The price for such a car is of only $7500.00.

(PS: There is only one color for production, the “Blood Red”, it’s a paint made from our enemies blood. This one will be especially made using capitalist blood.)

6 Likes