The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

I’ve noticed several challenges running Open Beta recently, and have now installed it myself. I haven’t spent too much time in it yet, but it’s been stable so far. And in the grand scheme of things, if we identify any bugs, that’ll help make the game better.

So I’d say yes. Let’s run with the Open Beta.

Edit: I have also just received the first contestant, so looks like we’re locked in.

since all modern people movers are purple (damn shame bug)

this is the Taurus
made from AHS steel and partial alu (weight saving-kinda)

this has a v12 NASP making 655 HP and 576 nm
reliability of 70.5
and a economy of 25.05 %

1 Like

now its too late to apologise - Timbaland - Apologize

Hmm. The 90s MPV isn’t part of the High Quality Essenitals. On the one hand, I don’t want to be too restrictive, especially if some people have the purple bug. On the other hand, next time a challenge specifies High Quality Essentials, I don’t want to not remember which bodies are in it and which not. If there’s a way to easily tell the difference outside trawling the HQE list for each item, I don’t know it.

Therefore, if nobody objects I’d propose amending the rules as follows:

Car Body mods from Steam Workshop are allowed, but you must provide a link to it so I can go and unsub after the challenge if I need to. Other mods will remain restricted to High Quality Essentials because I suspect it’d get very confusing very quickly.

@lordvader1, your engine is also not named according to the rules. You get one chance to revise your car. I would wait until there is some feedback in the thread with regard to the proposed rule change before resubmitting, just in case.

Weird that a lot of the more recent mods (such as many of my bodies) aren’t in the mod pack. It hasn’t been updated in awhile.

idk what mods high quality thingy has, i have all steam workshop mods, why cant you have all steam workshop.

idk why the engine changed his name, i put csr14 on it and clicked save :C

This is the mod pack: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=469666352&insideModal=1

This is looking like it’ll be fun. Car I’m designing isn’t exactly a looker, but it’s unusual in its own way… Let’s just say it’s something Storm Automotive is rarely ever known for.

CSR13 reviews have been updated with screenshots!

I’ve got something fairly promising in the works for this, and it looks totally badass :smiley: And yes, more car bodies = more variety = awesome!

Edit: by “more passenger space is better” do you mean more seats are better?

i usually avoid challenges that say
no steam workshop mods
or
high quality essentials only

if my car cant qualify, i wont try it a second time, i will just pass for good, like i would win the 1st place

So you’re looking for a track-ready yet practical taxi? I suggest a 2015 Petoskey Lakota.

More specifically the Xtreme package which makes this beast perfect for the track. Ample space for five passengers, plus room for any luggage they might be carrying. When this baby moves, you will forget the weight as it outperforms many muscle cars of it’s day. We suggest the Lakota because the unibody chassis served our needs perfectly, plus the turbocharged, direct-injected 432 provides optimal performance with surprising fuel economy in return. While it may not be the most efficient vehicle out there, the economy achieved is remarkable when you take the power output of the engine into consideration.

Petoskey Motors: Simple budget, exquisite taste.

1 Like

Gentleman, start your lawyers.

3 Likes

Well, if you’re looking for something that’s fun to drive and equally fun to ride in, why not consider a Storm Medusa? No, not the 1986 one, although it, too, would be a lot of fun. No, this is a 2015 rebuild with modern parts, a new limited-production run of a classic milestone in Storm Automotive history.

Let’s start simple with the basics.

LED Headlights, so there’s no need for maintenance. Fairly simple design, easily forgivable if you mistook it for just another mid-80’s car. Double Wishbones all the way around. AHS Steel unibody, aluminum panels, just like the original. The lower lip provides a little bit of downforce, there’s a very small wing on the back, and the engine isn’t turbocharged, unlike the original, because we wanted to preserve the exhaust note.

The exhaust note of what, you ask?

This proud ‘little’ 3 liter V6. DFI, DOHC, fairly powerful for how little it weighs. Designed to throw around some decent power, while at the same time not being quite as thirsty as a bigger engine.

Plus, we really didn’t want to make the engine any bigger.

Interior’s even simpler. Premium seats for 5, Premium infotainment with lots of speakers in case your passengers want some music with their snarling V6, all the driver assists, so that your driver isn’t exhausted at the end of the day and dreading the next day of driving this car, and a top-of-the-line safety system in the event that an accident does happen. Power delivery is through a 6-speed sequential, with a limited slip differential to ensure maximum traction. Suspension was intentionally kept simple, with progressive rate springs to take some of the bite out of some of those bumps you might find.

Gas mileage isn’t great, but we think it’s appropriate for the power output of the car. Cargo space is sufficient for just about any luggage you might imagine.

Now I know what you’re thinking. Why an 80’s design? Why this car?

Well, two things. Two notable things that Storm Automotive isn’t typically known for doing. One, the car is rear wheel drive. Two, the engine is comfortably settled in behind the rear seat. Yes, this is a rear-engined car, much like some notable sports-car manufacturers choose to use. While it may not be the fastest in the lineup, we are sure you and your passengers will enjoy the white-knuckle thrills only available to those who sit in front of their engines.

1 Like

if you want to keep your previous car what I do is export the file into a created export review file under games this way I always have the base model saved to my computer and it saves space in Automation so you do not have so many cars to go through. With my challenges I download the cars check that they are within regs i then archive their zip file in my messages and in my saved import files until the day of the competition

Presenting the 2015 Bogliq Ambassador RS!!!

Comfortable, fast and stylish, the 2015 Ambassador is waiting for your order! :sunglasses:

And at $33K driveaway, these power-wagons will be laying rubber out the door!!! :heart_eyes:

Rest assured that when you buy a Bogliq you’re in safe hands…

Buy better, buy Bogliq

2 Likes

Apologies for remaining stuck in the past (literally), but I thought I’d just show something I cooked up based on what I learned from CSR13 :slight_smile:

A 34mpg pickup with 3079L of cargo capacity which gets 97 utility in beta! With styling inspired by oppositelock and Denta :wink: Priced at $19560 with 20% markup. It still probably would have lost to the Utilight because that one was just so efficient and inexpensive, but this shows how much efficiency you can get at the other end of the scale!

2 Likes

4 Likes

@HowlerAutomotive; I know it says that the only mods allowed are the ‘High Quality Essentials’, but would it be possible to use a modded body if I provided a link? If not, that is absolutely fine.

@DeusExMackia, since there have been no objections, I will amend the rules as per last night’s proposal:

Car Body mods from Steam Workshop are allowed, but you must provide a link to it.
Other mods will remain restricted to High Quality Essentials.

@Darkshine5 - I have been using the export trick but it seems I should have cleaned up my folders before reimporting it because on my first attempt it came back all mixed up with the changed engine. I’ll have to make a system for the challenge though, thanks for the tips.

1 Like

By “more passenger space is better” do you mean more seats are better?