The Car Shopping Round (Round 64): Tears in Heaven

Thanks for the feedback, Strop. It will definitely help me in the future.

I’m not in any way saying the Series 6 Wagon was good, which is why I’m not surprised it didn’t make the list. My competitive nature dictates that I’m disappointed by that result, but I’m not surprised. It was extremely fast in a straight line, moderately well equipped for the money, among the better looking cars available, which I’m proud of, I’m learning to work with fixtures better, and theoretically very spacious. With current game calculations we’ll never really know for certain. Other than that I will admit it wasn’t fantastic, and I was never pleased with the economy. As I saw other entries being posted I realized that you would really have to like the good aspects of the Series 6 to ignore the bad aspects and choose it over something else, which I knew wasn’t going to happen. I don’t know you well, but I understand you well enough to realize that you are a reasonable man who takes everything into account.

In reality I was trying to make points in other places to make up for comprises in more important areas. I could have fit somewhat bigger tyres on the rear but I wanted to go for the bonus points of having the same tyres all around, which ended up not playing much into the equation. The fact of the matter is that I made a car with stats in the average range of everything else, but the terrible gas mileage killed it. Trying to wow you with an impressive engine didn’t compensate for that, and in the real world probably wouldn’t for most markets.

But now I have tons of information for the next iteration, of which there will be one, and plenty of ideas to make it better. The 6L V8 with AWD will probably stay, but it may become a track package rather than a sport package, with a more reasonable powerplant for the sport package. The only place to go is up.

Cheers - Racer13

[quote=“Racer13”]Thanks for the feedback, Strop. It will definitely help me in the future.

I’m not in any way saying the Series 6 Wagon was good, which is why I’m not surprised it didn’t make the list. My competitive nature dictates that I’m disappointed by that result, but I’m not surprised. It was extremely fast in a straight line, moderately well equipped for the money, among the better looking cars available, which I’m proud of, I’m learning to work with fixtures better, and theoretically very spacious. With current game calculations we’ll never really know for certain. Other than that I will admit it wasn’t fantastic, and I was never pleased with the economy. As I saw other entries being posted I realized that you would really have to like the good aspects of the Series 6 to ignore the bad aspects and choose it over something else, which I knew wasn’t going to happen. I don’t know you well, but I understand you well enough to realize that you are a reasonable man who takes everything into account.

In reality I was trying to make points in other places to make up for comprises in more important areas. I could have fit somewhat bigger tyres on the rear but I wanted to go for the bonus points of having the same tyres all around, which ended up not playing much into the equation. The fact of the matter is that I made a car with stats in the average range of everything else, but the terrible gas mileage killed it. Trying to wow you with an impressive engine didn’t compensate for that, and in the real world probably wouldn’t for most markets.

But now I have tons of information for the next iteration, of which there will be one, and plenty of ideas to make it better. The 6L V8 with AWD will probably stay, but it may become a track package rather than a sport package, with a more reasonable powerplant for the sport package. The only place to go is up.

Cheers - Racer13[/quote]

However, you may still have won in the Australian market though… There are a large number of cashed up Aussies who’d relish the thought of 6L of V8 and would see the lairy driving characteristics as a benefit, not a flaw! :laughing:

I still win the least power prize :smiley:

YAY for me. I’m bad at this game :smiley:

@Vri You’re not bad, you’re just good at making detuned engines. I actually seem to have a problem with not knowing how to make detuned engines, so maybe we can share notes and both end up in some sort of middle ground. :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

@HighOctaneLove Well at least there is a market somewhere. Just not the market I was after, haha. Always look on the bright side of life, right?

Cheers - Racer13

To make a wagon or a van… Hmm… Not too many body styles from this period, especially for vans and CUVs.

I’m almost ready with my choice of vehicle for this. Just trying to finalize some of my design choices and pick a paint color for the display model.

Putting weight o.k. the drive axle always is a clever thing to do, usually I don’t spend too much attention to that, something I should watch out for. I don’t want to be a sore loser and I don’t know the drive axle lengths on the car, but I thought that above 300 nm car constructors generally shy away from FF due to torque steer becoming very hard to combat, I could be mistaken though. Don’t want to take anything away from Nials win though, with a V6 I imagine the drive axles could be pretty equal, damn clever. Just wanted to bring it up since I didn’t see any mention of it anywhere.

The Denki-Hogosha JLT RMX is Just what you need. Many seats and Not much power for a low, low price.

[size=85](Lyrics taken from youtube.com/watch?v=XZq2l0iLV7Y Pegboard Nerds - Just Like That)[/size]

(Also some little errors slipped through in editing. Whoopsies)

1 Like

Presenting my entry for round 2 of the Car Shopping Round!!! :smiley:

Are you a working family who’ve decided to finally splurge on a new car? Have you no interest in “hoonin” but’d rather get there comfortably and safely?

If you answer “yes” to both these questions then Bogliq Automotive has the vehicle for you!

Introducing the 2007 Bogliq Gypsy GLXi…

A spacious six seater with the road manners of a sedan and the offroad ability of a 4WD, the Bogliq Gypsy is a family truckster with a comfy interior, gutsy V6 and full off-road 4WD ability.
The Gypsy is also great on fuel while being smooth, refined and easy to drive… And all for the tiny sum of $35K au! :open_mouth:

Buy the best, buy Bogliq!

1 Like

So, you’re looking for something comfortable, with lots of seats and reasonable cargo space? We may just have the vehicle for you.

The Storm Meteor, a minivan for those who enjoy driving. It’s not exactly fast, and it doesn’t exactly have a ton of horsepower, but what it does have, we think you’ll like.

Let’s just start in the driver’s seat. The instrument cluster is all digital, complete with turn-by-turn directions right next to the speedometer from our top-of-the-line sat-nav system. The center console has room for both CD’s and cassettes, as well as four cupholders for the front seats. Entertainment is provided through a 6-CD changer in the dash, as well as a cassette deck and AM/FM radio. We may have gone a little overboard with the speakers, but we think it’s for the best, with 21 strategically placed speakers providing the best possible sound from whatever media you may have put in there. Air conditioning is zone-controlled in three major zones: Front seats, middle bench, and rear bench. These zones are individually controlled from one another, so everyone can be comfortable. Just in case you want it, we also have heated seats for all 7 passengers.

Now, I know what you’re thinking, you only need 5 seats, and we’re giving you 7. Not to worry. Our seats fold flat, so if you need the space for cargo, not passengers, you can fold any of the 5 rear seats flat.

Outside, it’s a fairly standard minivan. Power sliding rear doors and a power lift-gate should make loading up easier, and the aerodynamic shape should help with fuel efficiency.

I understand, the MPG is a little low, but remember, you’re sitting in a top-of-the-line premium minivan. We’ve done what we can to make up for the fuel efficiency without sacrificing comfort. We’ve coupled the V6 with a 7-speed automatic with a fairly tall overdrive gear, but you’re looking at about 22 MPG combined.

Ah, you want to know how it handles a few bumps and potholes? We built the Meteor with hydropneumatic suspension because we wanted it to soak up the bumps. Now, sure, it does take some getting used to, and we understand it’s not exactly for everyone, but it does make for an excellent ride.

Driving assists? Well, power steering and ABS are standard, as are traction control and stability assistance. AWD should help in most situations, as will the viscous limited-slip differentials. What good is AWD if you still get high-centered on a parking divider, after all?

Now, admittedly, our engine isn’t likely as powerful as our competition, but we’d like to think we found a perfect balance between not enough and too much power. There should be enough there to pass cars with ease, but it’s not designed for the race track. We’ve also done extensive research into the effects of engine noise and how it affects the comfort in the passenger cabin. Too much, and it’s disruptive and distracting, but too little, and there’s not enough engine noise to drive by. We tried to leave just enough noise for driving while all-but-eliminating the rest, then provided you the means to block out the world.

Our asking price is pretty close to your budget allotment, but still under it, and you are getting a lot for your money. If it helps your decision any, in that purchase price is a 10 year, 200,000 mile warranty, as well as free service and oil changes at any Storm Automotive dealership.

I totally had you pegged (geddit?) for a Pegboard Nerds fan when I saw the Monstercat logo on what looked like an album cover on your latest avatar :slight_smile:

If it wasn’t for 2007 rule I would simply resubmit the car I made for strop’s quest :smiley:

ditto^

except for some revision fixes…

Oh this looks awesome!

“they completely ruined Peapod”

I died laughing. My grave will carry the words, Strop did it.

So for this round, do we submit cars via PM as well, or just post the stats here?

Your new age Cross Over SUV has arrived!

Gone are the days of having to choose between a small family car, a van, a sports car, and an off road capable truck. Why not have a car that does all of these things! (Though may not necessarily excel at any of them)

Here at Kirk Automotive, we’ve developed the perfect balancing act for your family: the CX55

CX55 stands for Crossover, 5 Doors, 5 Pasasngers, and a 5500lb towing capacity.

So is this the next car for you?

Overview
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/Overview_1.png
There she is! Designed to look more expensive that it really is, the Luxurious CX55 could easily pass for a $60,000+ luxury SUV. But it’s not. In fact, it’s about half that price!

Before we go any further, lets walk around the whole car
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/Side_1.png
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/Backj.png
Our designers went out of their way to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. Brushed Silver accents throughout create a classy, dressed up look that Mom will love. Dad will love the aggressive look and strong stance. Both will love that it’s height and door openings have been specifically tuned to make it easy to get kids and cargo in and out with minimal fuss. The large rear hatch with separately opening window make moving large amounts of cargo, even long items, a breeze. Optional roof racks and trailer hitch adapter that goes between the exhausts allow for increased utility for those who need it.

The theme of strong angles and rounded edges are carried throughout the car, inside and out. When you get inside the driver seat, you will feel confident and empowered. The instrument panel will be totally black, until you put in the key. Then it comes alive with white, new age LED backlit instruments, including a speedometer that goes up to 160MPH on the right, and a Tachometer on the left, both of even size. A screen in the middle of the two digital displays lots of important info. A rocker key on the steering wheel allows you to switch between information such as Fuel Economy, Tire Pressure Status, Engine Error Description, Maintenance Reminders, Off Road Info, and much more.

As you look to the center console, you’ll be greeted with a very handy Hard Drive Based Navigation. (Flash Memory was still too expensive in 2007) The 80GB Hard Drive contains 15GB of GPS information, which include free yearly updates at your local dealer. The other 65GB of storage can be used to store your music collection. The system is able to convert your CD’s into MP3s onto the drive for you. Alternatively, USB hookups allow you to plug in flash drives to transfer your own, pre-created MP3 files. This is all played back on an 12 speaker Polk Audio 5.1 Surround Sound System. 7 Front Speakers create phenomenal detail and sound stage (Center Mid-range, dash tweeters, door mid-range, and door woofers), while rear speakers keep the kids in the know (Tweeters and mid-woofers in the rear doors), while a 12" shallow mount subwoofer in the trunk floor fills out the lows. This stereo is an upgrade included in the Touring trim featured here.

While enjoying the great stereo and convenient navigation, you’ll be enveloped by soft and supportive leather seats. Trimmed with two tone black and white, the interior feels like it was designed by a modern artist with a degree in chiropractics. Both front bucket seats have have 10-way electric controls with three savable presets each. The driver’s presets also remembers the side mirror positions. The carpets are padded with space-age acoustical materials that are thin and lightweight, but are incredible sound insulators. All the while, the seats and carpet are pre-treated with a special stain resistant coating. Spilled drinks will bead and wipe right up, so don’t feel bad about eating on the road! To encourage this behavior, all doors have drink holders, as do the front and rear center consoles.

Design
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/Design_1.png
So what comprises the CX55?

At it’s heart is a well mannered high efficiency V8 that displaces almost 5.2 Liters. (Technically it’s closer to 5.1, but 5.2 sounds better!) Designed to be quiet and acoustically pleasant, the high efficiency V8 manages to average over 22MPG in this 2 Ton machine. This is in part to the silky smooth 6 Speed Automatic (No more cool new age transmissions for you guys! :wink: ), which enables the engine to cruise at 70MPH at only 1790RPMs. This compounded with direct injection and a low-end torque tune create great gas mileage while still providing great performance in all driving conditions. Mom will feel super stable with the easy to drive Geared Differential AWD system which distributed all of that torque to the best possible location.

This is all place atop a fully active Double Wishbone suspension system which glides over bumps. You’ll soon learn to forget about looking for bumps in the road, as you just won’t feel them. In fact, even off road, the active suspension system and geared differential AWD system will crawl over anything under 8" tall, even with the stock tires. With 270ft-lb of torque at idle, you’ll hardly need to push the throttle to do so, either. Now this is no truck. The independent suspension does it’s best to cover all of it’s bases, but 5500lb is about all you’ll want to tow before the back end gets a bit too loose. You won’t see any solid axels or leaf springs here. But it sure makes the processes more comfortable for the people inside, and does wonders for road performance.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/Engine_2.png
Just like the rest of the car, the engine is a jack of all trades. While 308HP @ 5500RPM with a 5500RPM redline does not sound extremely powerful, the low end torque and light weight make this a very snappy driver. The best part is the ease and consistency you get while driving it. The Variable Valve Lift system is aggressively tuned for low end torque, with a cam profile that allows the engine to smoothly idle at only 500RPMs. It also is what allows for the superb fuel efficiency while cruising. Around 2000RPMs, the system kicks over to a more moderate cam profile, which allows the torque to climb a little higher. You’ll see how nice it is to only have a 70ft-lb of torque variance throughout the RPM range, peaking right in the middle of the RPM range.

What’s more amazing is this direct injected 27.6% efficiency engine achieves what it does using only regular unleaded fuel. In fact, run Premium Fuel in her, and she’ll advance the ignition timing to give you 321HP and 354ft-lb of torque. That’s over a 4% increase in power, and you’ll get about a 3.6% increase in fuel economy. But even on regular fuel, all versions of this engine exceed emissions requirements worldwide. That with the 22+ combined MPG makes this one of the greenest SUVs on the market.

Track Performance
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/Performance.png
So you’ll probably never take this car on the track. But hey, it’s nice to know what it can do. 0-60 happens in a more than acceptable 6.9 seconds, while highway passing hardly requires downshifts. While the suspension really wasn’t designed for racing, the 53F/47R weight distribution and powerful vented disk brakes give it respectable track times for what it is. Not to mention the torquey V8, 6-Speed, and AWD help as well.

Conclusion

Wrapping things up, the CX55 is the ultimate crossover. But we lied. We claimed it was a jack of all trades, master of none. There are some things it masters: Driveability, Livability, Practicality, Comfort, Safety, and Value. Speaking of value, how much is this thing? You’ll be pleased to know that we are safely at $34,495, and that’s with our 5% margin to ensure that we’re here to honor the warranty.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Carskick/Price.png
Your perfect family crossover or executive chariot await. Order today!

Well… That rear end sure is… Interesting. ahem cough It’s innovative.

im still wondering… is 186HP going to be enough here…

Most Compact Crossovers here in the US have about that…Sometimes less. Guess it depends how big the car is.

Yes please submit your cars via PM.