The Gasmea Police Pursuit Vehicle Challenge

Since 1973, the standard Gasmean police cruiser has been the Vanguard Quartermaster. A large sedan with an even larger engine, it’s served Gasmean regional police departments. However, the limitations of the Quartermaster have been revealed, especially as oil prices increase and parts become more scarce. Regional departments have been buying their own cars since the late 70s to replace them, with mixed results. Instead of signing another contract with Vanguard, the Gasmean Secretary of Law Enforcement announced on February 18, 1982, that the new Gasmea PPV would be chosen in a competition.

The Spec:
—Model year 1982
—Needs to be body on frame, for cheap durability
—Price of 15,000 $ or less, these need to be affordable for all departments
—5 seats, bench in back
—Fuel economy of 10 mpg (23.5 L/100km) or above, Quartermaster had an abysmal 7.4 mpg (31.8 L/100km)
—Open beta build, please.
—Must have a radio.

Scoring:
Entries that meet this spec will be subjected to a variety of challenges:
—An automation track test (weighed the least, do not worry too much about track time.)
—A set of three simulated pursuits in BeamNG.drive, against a contemporary V8.
—Ties will be broken by having one cop car pursue the other.

The criteria for judgement will be:
—Speed: How fast can it go?
—Acceleration: How quickly does it speed up and slow down?
—Service costs: How much will it cost over its service life?
—Safety: WIll it protect the officer?
—Aesthetics: Is this the vehicle Gasmeans want to see policing the streets?

Other considerations:
—A vehicle of standard size (for Gasmean/American standards) will be useful in today’s policework, the large Quartermaster suffered from being too large for some tasks
—Police lights or styling of some kind would be appreciated
—All entries will be compared to the Quartermaster, linked below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ORgwyHrv3Md-9Xs6CuVnXySpi1sUr32g

Submit the .car by PM here or by PM through Automation discord.
Deadline for submission:
March 4, 2018

Good luck!

I understand you’re new here, so I’m gonna be a bit nice. Probably worth dumping this challenge for now until you’re more experienced with how challenges are run (by entering current forum challenges) and have some more experience with the game.

If you decide to ignore me, I’ve left some concerns below.

Dump the requirement for Body on Frame, make it Service Costs and Reliability factor

Dump the Top speed/Accel requirements and make it a weighted score

Change it from Price-per-unit to Overall budget and expected units

Be more specific about sizing rather than “Standard Size” (That’s different from country to country)

Change from a Specific Safety type to a Judged Safety Score

Dump the Beam Crash Components, Automation cars just outright perform better.

2 Likes

I’ve taken these into account. Thank you!

there still is the body-on-frame requirement, basically eliminating every european manufacturer

EDIT:
using dropbox to share the .car file is far from optimal
i get that you might be unable to directly upload it, but google drive would’ve been the beetter way since not everyone has dropbox

1 Like

Does that include a markup or not? I’m assuming it’s the latter since the customer is not an individual, but a police department looking to procure a whole fleet of vehicles at once.

Acknowledged. Link replaced with a Google Drive link. I feel body-on-frame is important though, so that is staying.

And, abg7 is right.

I would’ve given it a go, but the body on frame part… Ehhh. That means it will be a truck, if anything.

well at this point i have two choices…

enter a 70s truck

not enter at all

gotta go for the latter cuz no way is the police roaming around in outdated trucks…

EDIT:
also, just because the crown vic was body on frame does not mean that any police cruiser has to be

1 Like

One more thing: Are there any upper limits on PU and/or ET for the variant and/or trim? At any rate those 3 rear seats have to be full-sized, not 2+3, and the radio can be easily represented by a basic 8-track player.

I’ve decided to lift the body-on-frame requirements, after seeing the general reaction.

1 Like

ehhhh open beta

Well, the model year is 1982. I can see if people don’t want to use ladder frames, and it’s good that you lifted the requirement. But… at least in America, in 1982 most of the police cars still used body on frame. Just food for thought I guess. Still better that the restriction was lifted.

fair point, but pretty much no non-american manufacturer would have a ladder frame car except maybe a truck…

obvious communist spotted

Submission time closing in two hours.

Submissions closed. Thank you, everyone who entered!

is there actual entries?

cuz nobody has pit anything related to entries here
:thinking:

I’m sure we’ve had a decent number of entrants, but ads were not required here.

fucc…
if so, then i got fooled by things being quiet here…