Two tier Little Dev Updates

Lately life has gotten a whole lot busier and I have stopped watching the little dev updates regularly as I used to, as they tend to be a somewhat long format, especially for youtube.
Most dev videos for other games tend to have just a couple of minutes and they are rather more straight to the point.

How about we implement such types of videos for automation?

The idea goes: have short videos, up to 3 or 4 minutes in length, to show progress as it stands in a very brief and direct manner, pretty much just highlighting the topics that are being worked on.
Then, less often, have longer duration videos, that explain the changes in depth, as is done nowadays, in a longer, and more informal, format.

That way, people who otherwise would skip over the LDUs might start watching them and be able to follow development more closely, and if they are intrigued, or need further details, they can watch the more detailed video.

When discussing this on the discourse, many many workaround routes were discussed and pointed out. I might adopt one or two of them myself, but one must think about the casual player who doesn’t play the game all the time.

3 Likes

That would mean too much extra work not going into game development IMO. I can see the desire for and usefulness in that kinda thing though and it would make sense. For those that don’t have much time there is the Steam News section too where usually the content and status is somewhat summarized.
Producing a Little Dev Update takes about half a day as is.

2 Likes

Hmmm… personally, I like the long format videos. I think the Steam news section summary is a good enough compromise.

3 Likes