VicVictory's touring beater (02 XD Elantra)

So my previous “beater” (2000 Outback) was too damn nice, and a friend of mine bought it off of me to replace her Scion that she wrecked. Of course, since beater car events such as the Gambler 500 are just too damn fun, it was inevitable that I’d get another ride.

I’ve been browsing everything from Craigslist to Copart (salvage auctions) for quite a while, and test drove a few vehicles that didn’t really strike my fancy. One of those happened to be equipped with a manual, and after that I knew I wouldn’t be satisfied until I found a beater in which I could once again row gears.

Yesterday, the Craigslist Gods rewarded me for my faith.

A 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS (XD body) 5-speed with the 2.0L Beta 4. As you can see from the pics (these were her ad pics, it was too dark and late for me to get others when the deal was done), she’s actually got a sunroof, which was rare here for manual-equipped models.

Interior is actually surprisingly clean and nice. Mechanically she’s in pretty good shape, though I have to sort out an issue with the clutch hydraulics, because the pedal goes almost all the way to the floor before any action happens. Previous owner obtained a full-size spare at some point, and left it in the trunk for me. This is nice, given what I plan to do.

Exterior is all kinds of roughed up. Front bumper is pushed in about an inch or two at the center, though the hood opens/closes fine and the radiator core support is straight as an arrow. Driver’s exterior door handle is broken. Matching paint scrapes on either side just in front of the rear wheels, plus that big one on the front bumper. Nicks and dings all over. Some places where the clearcoat has peeled entirely and/or someone has laid down some spray paint to cover bare metal. She’s got a branded title, issued as “rebuilt” in 2004. So she got nailed hard at some point that year then put back together properly enough that the WSP said “Okay”.

Truly, a properly sketchy jalopy.

Current Plans:
Replace broken door handle ($10)
Obtain generic roof rack, and put my roof basket from the last beater on it ($50-ish)
Address clutch hydraulic issue (possible bad slave cylinder, not uncommon on these)
Hunt for used studless snow or light truck tires
Thoroughly wash it and remove all the bits of Douglas Fir droppings from every nook and cranny on the outside
Invite my artistic friends over for a booze, food, and paint session to address the worst cosmetic issues in the coolest possible way.
Transfer my fuzzy dice to the rearview mirror of this one

10 Likes