What's a compact and what isn't a compact?

So, this is in response to this:

(My apologies @titleguy1 for taking so long to respond to this, I’d be honored to have a test drive in…uh, I mean Gavin would love the chance to test drive the Auriga :wink: )

Problem is, I really don’t know exactly what to call this car, as there are some major EU-US differences on what these cars mean. Furthermore, my own definition of what a compact is has changed since being on this forum. So, I feel like we need to define exactly what is and what is not a compact.

As it stands, this is how I see the follow types of car:

This is a Hatchback (eg VW Golf, Ford Focus)
Wheelbase: Less than or equal to ~2.6m

This is a Compact (eg Ford Mondeo, Vauxhall Insignia). I sometimes call them “Compact Sedans”
Wheelbase: ~2.6m to ~2.8m

This is a Compact Exectuive (eg BMW 3 Series, Audi A4). Essentially a premium compact.
Wheelbase: ~2.6m to ~2.8m

This is an Executive Saloon (eg BMW 5 Series, Jaguar XF)
Wheelbase: ~2.8m and up

Translating this into Automation, and please PLEASE correct me if I get any of this wrong, these are some of the above cars in automation.

Hatchback: Erin Merna, Brivio Roma, Shromet Radiant, Emperor Sapphire, Maesima Prova Hatch

Compact: Saminda C3, Maesima Prova Sedan, EADC Verona, Adenine Valence

Compact Executive: Erin Tauga, Auxuras ITL, Sachiuri sL200, IMP Impakt

Executive Saloon: Erin Berlose, Zavir Espada, Toronto 519, Zenshi Altrea, Rennen Sagacious

So, from this, where does my ordering/categorization go wrong or right? Is compact even the right word; do we need something more specific? Have I just got it all wrong? Help! :smiley:

Tagging those whose companies I’ve mentioned so they can help:
@szafirowy01 @phale @Dorifto_Dorito @Starfish94 @Awildgermanappears @CadillacDave @Rk38 @thecarlover @Grandea @DoctorNarfy

7 Likes

Im not gonna actually help here because my opinion in this really doesn’t matter but I’d like to know who seriously would consider a car as big as a mondeo “compact” in any sense

1 Like

@Noporian Ah, well once upon a time, the Mondeo was a much smaller car, I haven’t quite shaken that image :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s also a handy comparison chart at the bottom. Mondeo (Fusion here) is a midsize car. When we had the Mondeo here as the Contour in the 90s, it was a compact.

3 Likes

Oh well. That will be hard. Well, here in Poland this categorisation (AFAIK being basically a continental European one) is different, so for me both your (British) and American don’t make sense :smile: And I in fact use my own variation of it. But, basically PL/EU categorisation reserves “compact” name for C segment cars and nearly completely separates the size class of the car from its body style. And what is C segment, many of you may ask? Well, this:

And what about all other cars you’ve shown?
Mondeo - D segment / middle class, liftback
Series 3 - D segment / middle class, sedan (yes, there’s absolutely no differentiation between premium, standard and cheap cars in classification - Audi A1 and Dacia Sandero are in the same B segment)
Jag XF - E segment / upper middle class, sedan

Compact sedan would be Jetta, for example. Premium compact would be Merc A-class. “Compact” word is often also used for minivans or SUVs despite them officially having their separate segments (M in Thecarlover’s link, K in Polish Wikipedia, and J, respectively), as well as “city” for B segment sized cars.
No matter if it’s Mazda 121, Skoda Rapid, BMW 3 or RR Phantom - it’s a sedan, in Britain called saloon. Fiat 500, Opel Astra, Renault Vel Satis - hatchback. 5 door variants of Mondeo, Mazda 6 and Renault Laguna, Audi A7, Porsche Panamera - liftback.

I think using a single definition of a compact is not really possible on such international forum as this.

3 Likes

Well there is one thing I can include which is the EPA vehicle size class, according to them, this is a compact

3 Likes

Over in America, sedans with a wheelbase around 2.8m is considered a midsize.

If you’re reviewing it in America, the Auriga is a midsize sedan which competes with the likes of the Honda Accord, Mazda 6, and Chevrolet Malibu. A compact car would be a Honda Civic, Hyundai Elantra/i30, and Toyota Corolla. In Europe, it’s a saloon.

1 Like

NNNope. In Britain, that’s a saloon. In the rest of Europe, that’s a middle class - so more or less the same as midsize - sedan. In fact I think that modern US and EU classification became very similar - the rest would be exactly the same as you wrote.

The Wikipedia article I linked explains all of this. It includes EPA classifications.

For anyone too lazy to click through, US EPA classification is based on passenger + luggage space. That seemingly would create a loophole for cars with large exterior dimensions but relatively cramped interiors; maybe that contributes to why cars are getting larger but maintaining their size class.

But it works similarly in European classification - segments are defined rather not by exact dimensions, but by example cars. Modern D segment cars can reach even 4.9m length, while 20 years ago that would be large even for E segment.

All segments are gradually growing, though. Example is the 1998 Corolla I learned to drive in. That thing’s the size of a modern subcompact, while the Camry of the time is closer in size to the new Corolla.

At the other extreme, a 1960s American compact is quite a large car by today’s standards. Best way to designated cars in Automation is to look at the designation of cars of a similar size at the time it was built.

3 Likes

Second Gen Taurus sits lower than a Fiesta, also is about 300 lbs. lighter. So My mid-size car is lighter than a new compact.

Saloon/sedan, hatchback, estate/station wagon; these are all body styles, completely independent of size class.

5 Likes

Welp. Other than pointing out that a full sized car in aus is a family car eg ford falxon holden commodore nissan patrol etc etc im not touching this with strops pole let alpne mine…but

a buzz box would be something like a carolla or diahatsu copen(damn they are fun)

A city car would be a focus or lancer/wrx

1 Like

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE

also hands off my pole :anguished:

1 Like

Thought that would get a rise from you lol

3 Likes

Not that kind of rise :wink:

5 Likes

Right! Well, thank your for your responses guys, they’re very much appreciated. I think mid-size is the best term to use, and then I’ll just add on the body style on the end (mid-size sedan, mid-size wagon, liftback, premium etc).

It is an issue though that every segment seems to be growing. Cars are so damn big these days!

DAMMIT STROP NOT AGAIN I THOUGHT WE TALKED ABOUT THIS

3 Likes