1974 Letara Auto Convention (FINAL RESULTS)

The all new 1974 Primus V6 engine - available in the Astrona and the RT320

Our inline 6 has done good service, powering our midsize Astrona as true sports sedan. The second generation now recieved it’s facelift, featuring the new engine in the top 2400 trim.
Besides a more modern styling, the new engine is lighter and thriftier - and due to it’s more compact shape, easier to service. In times of expensive fuel and emission rules, we now threw out the carburetor in favor of an injection system, exclusive to the 2400.

If you can live without four doors and five seats, the RT320 - an all-new model - uses the 3.2 liter version. The wedgy shape is as modern as it’s features, like the “Check-Mate” (yes, pun intended), an electronic device that allows the driver the surveillance of all parameters, like G-forces, oil temperature and pressure and lap times. No, it’s not a supercar, but among the true sports cars, it offers reasonnable performance for an attractive price.

PRIMUS - The First Choice

3 Likes
NEW ERA OF LIBERTY
Distributed by Liberty Corp.

Liberty Corp. 1974
Building 420, 69th Avenue
Philidelphia, PA, USA
+1-215-xxx-xxxx

5 Likes
SUBMISSIONS ARE CLOSED

NO MORE SUBMISSIONS WILL BE ACCEPED. Bins will be posted later.

3 Likes
BINS

Before getting into the results, we first have to address some cars that, unfortunatley, violate the rules. While I don’t want to do this, it is neccessary to keep the competition fair. Cue the sad piano music

Camno Sprint Wagon

@crwpitman1

Reason: Overpriced by 1,110 AMU

The judges walk past a sports car in the parking lot. It catches their eyes, but then remember that this car has an unfair advantage compared to the other cars

Swanson 112

@Ludvig

Reason: Resub Late.

A car drives in the parking lot… right when the convention was about to start. The judges told Swanson that they aren’t able to register the car.

Swanson 955

@Ludvig

Reason: Wrong Family Year, Very High Aero.

The judges look at the other sports car… well, sport plane it should be said. Maybe flying cars aren’t yet ready for the public. Maybe in the future.

Sorry to those binned, but I wish luck to those who will move on to the next rounds.

2 Likes

Sorry about the price. I triple checked before I sent, but when reopening the price is different. I am fiddling around with it now and the price is not changing until I close and reopen. Is this a bug? Has anyone else noticed this? Really bugs me.

1 Like

Thank God I qualified, but only just - my car cost $30k AMU exactly.

This happens a lot in automation. It’s good practice to close the game and reopen it when checking submissions.

2 Likes

Well, my styling star is out. But at least my slightly homely sedan still has a chance.

This was supposed to act as a preview for the next round of LHC, but with so few eligible entries, I’m expecting a good result - and my submission will hopefully influence my next LHC entry in some way.

At least they didn’t burn in hell :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

One day you’ll be famous for making the most competetive bins.

1 Like
STANDARD CATEGORY RESULTS

June 5th, 1974. 12:48 PM.

It is twelve minutes until the convention starts. People are waiting outside the convention center with their tickets. A judge announces to the whole convention centre that it is almost time for opening. All of the car manufacturers are preparing to open their booths, to show their future cars to the Letarans. In an empty assembly hall, a group of judges are finishing up evaluating the concepts, while some workers set up for the award ceremony in a few hours. Here is what the judges say about the cars:

Mara Kavaler

@AndiD

The car at the top of the list was the Mara Kavaler; A rather generic car with nothing too special about it. The most interesting thing about it was its rather large 5.0L V8, which caused it to be the most polluting car and the least fuel effecient car. What did surprise the judges was that it was the most comfortable car, with it rivaling some of the cars in the R-Class! Not only that, but it was close to being the most safest car in its class.

Canmo Kestrel Sprint

@crwpitman1

The Canmo Kestrel sprint was the second car on this list and it was quite the polar opposite of the previous car. It has a rather “out-there” design and it featured a 2.2L I4, making it almost the most effecient and economical car, but suffered due to it’s low safety. Everything else about the car was average, except for the price and service costs, which was 15,000 AMU and almost 1,000, making it the most expensive car in this class and almost the most expensive car to maintain.

Primus Astrona

@Happyhungryhippo

Next up is the Primus Astrona. Another average car with nothing too crazy and it has all around pretty good stats, except for a lower reliability compared to other manufactures, but it was still high. It was the safest car presented at the convention despite the outdated safety system, and was rather easy to drive.

Vaughn Firebolt

@Knugcab

The Vaughn Firebolt another simple yet good car, except for it being the hardest car to drive. Despite this, it was still considered rather safe. It had low servicing cost and purchasing cost, making it a rather cheap car to buy and own. Additionally, the emissions and reliability were both well, making it a rather good car to own, as long as you ignore the fuel economy.

Planar Genoace

@lotto77

The Planar Genoace was an all around ok car. It wasn’t the best car presented, but it wasn’t the worst. It really didn’t have any stats that stood out; everything was either above or below average, except for its horribly low comfort. Besides that, the judges didn’t see anything too interesting in the car and moved on the next car.

The Knightwick

@mart1n2005

The Knightwick was probably one of the best cars presented at the show. It was the cheapest, most reliable, almost the most econimical, and easiest car to drive. The only downside was its horrible comfort due to it lacking any form of entertainment, which was a rather odd choice for a concept car, but some sacrifices have to made. If some form of entertainment was included, it would probably be the perfect car.

SAETA SEV

@Petakabras

The final car was the SAETA SEV, a car focusing on being the most economical car, which it was, with achieving a fuel economy of 6.8L/100km. In addition, it was the least polluting car in its class. Unfortunatley, it had a high price and the highest service cost compared to other cars which weighed it down.

After a little bit of conversing, the judges come to a final decision, and start to prepare themselves for the award ceremony.

Final Results
THE RESULTS

4:00 PM

The people at the convention start to crowd in and grab a seat before the judges announce who will win the best regular car award. The room goes silent as the judges announces the rankings:

6th: Canmo Kestrel Sprint (@crwpitman1)
5th: Planar Genoace (@lotto77)
4th: SAETA SEV (@Petakabras)
Tied for 3rd: Vaughn Firebolt and Mara Kavaler (@Knugcab & @AndiD, respectivley)
2nd: Primus Astrona (@Happyhungryhippo)
1st: The Knightwick (@mart1n2005)

Those of you with the ability of sight and literacy can see that there is a tie in 3rd place. Because of this, instead of 3 cars going to the Best of the Year category, I have decided to send 4 cars instead. Good luck to the people those people and the people in the next round.

10 Likes

It looks like the facelift really helped the well-proven and popular premium sport sedan, however, Knightwick engineers were obviously more inventive and deserve the gold medal. Congratulations to Knightwick from Primus. And, of course, best regards to all other competitors.

The Primus somehow reminds me of the Chrysler 160/180 and the Opel Rekord C/ Commodore A. A rather usual, inoffensive sedan for the era aspiring to be a bit upper class, doing its job well even if it doesn’t spark excitement among all of the die hard car enthusiasts.

2 Likes

You are quite right. The car takes inspiration from the Opel Commodore and Ford Taunus, with a slight touch of Alfa Romeo spirit.
The pre-facelift is even more Commodor-ish.

SPORT-LUX CATEGORY RESULTS

June 6th, 1974. 10:24 AM.

Day 2 of the convention is going to be starting in about 2 1/2 hours. The judges decided to try get up a bit earlier today to allow for more judging time. This category had a sports-car majority, with 3 cars being sports cars, and 2 cars being luxury cars.

Sadly, one of the luxury cars had to be binned

Liberty Bell

The judges really loved this car, the only issue is that they were the ones that made the car… of course they would love it! They had to bin it in order to prevent a scandal occurring that would ruin future auto conventions.

After reducing the “lux” part of the “Sport-Lux” category, the judges overviewed the submitted cars.

Wolfram WLF-6

@abg7

The first car the judges looked at was the Wolfram WLF-6, which was your pretty standard sports car. But standard doesn’t mean bad, of course. It was quite comfortable and sporty compared to the other cars. It was the most opulent car presented at the convention, but most of the other cars were at a similar level. Design-wise, it still represents a pretty standard sports car.

Primus RT320

@Happyhungryhippo

The next car is… wait a minute did the judges accidentally add two of the same cars to the competition? Nope! This car looks very similar to the previous car. Sadly, the car doesn’t perform as well. The car had very low comfort, especially for a category like this, and it was the least opulent car presented. To make things worse, it had the lowest safety in this category.

Wolfe Vampira

@Karhgath

Now this car… it’s something alright! This car probably has the most wild engineering and design choices. Just one look at the car and you’ll get what I’m talking about. Under the hood was a 4.5L V12, the only one in its category, producing ~325HP. This made it the most sporty car and almost the most opulent car presented in this category.

Wraith Neapolitan

@Knugcab

The last car, and definitely not the least, is the only luxury car in this category; that car is the Wraith Neopolitan. Of course, because it was the only luxury car in this class, it would be the most comfortable car presented. Sportiness would obviously not be a strength in this car, but it did have the highest safety. Design-wise, it has a very standard luxury car exterior and interior, with it looking similar to the Liberty Bell, but it is still a well designed car.

The judges had a harder time choosing who would win, even though there were less cars in this category. But after some time debating, the judges came to a final decision. Now, they start preparing for tonight’s award ceremony.

Final Results
THE RESULTS

The hall for the ceremony was more packed than yesterday’s, most people managed to find a seat in time. The lights start to dim as the judge walks on stage. He starts to announce the results:

4th: Primus RT320 (@Happyhungryhippo)
3rd: Wolfe Vampira (@karhgath)
2nd: Wraith Neopolitan (@knugcab)
1st: Wolfram WLF-6 (@abg7)

Sorry for the delayed results. I wish good luck to the people in the next rounds!

9 Likes

I made a spartan driving machine, but it’s nowhere near comfort and luxury. Maybe next time I’ll be closer to the targeted audience. Congratulations to abg for winning this category

FUTURE CATEGORY RESULTS

June 7th, 1974. 10:57 AM.

The judges knew that this category would be one of the hardest to judge due to the variety and uniqueness presented in this category. They gathered started talking about each of the cars presented at the convention.

Mons 356-Esque

@cake_ape

The first car featured was a Mons 356-esque, a racing concept car that is built specifically for the track. This made it the most sporty car in this car, but it was the least safe and almost least comfortable car presented in this category. Even though it is track car, it isn’t as prestigous as the other cars presented, but is still average. The design is nice and simple, and it follows the principle of “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. However, the design doesn’t really say “concept car” as much as the others.

Walkenhorst-Manthley 650X

@Fayeding_Spray

The next car was also track focused, with it achieving similiar sportiness, and unfortunately similiar comfort, to the previous car. However, the safety was a polar opposite, with it achieving the highest safety in this category. Quite surprising for a track car! Unfortunatley, it was not too opulent compared to the other cars. In fact, it was actually the least opulent car presented. Design-wise, it had a very strong racing design that made it stand out at the convention.

Wolfe Urbania

@karhgath

Moving on is this… thing. I would say car, but the term car really doesn’t describe this. There are some many strange things about this, from its 3.5L Flat 6 that somehow fits, or just the size of it! The car managed to fit a luxurious interior, making it the most comfortable and opulent car presented in this category. However, even though it had a massive engine, it was not at all a sporty car. Additionally, it was extremely unsafe. The design of the car isn’t the most appealing, but was still prefered by the judges due to it’s small form factor and attention to exterior detailing.

Planar Ghiraga

@lotto77

The final car presented to judges was the Planar Ghiraga, a car that is meant to be a sports car. However, due to the presence of track cars in this category, the sportiness was not as high as those cars, but it was still average. Comfort and safety were both average in this category. One thing that stood out was how opulent it was, both in design and engineering. It was another car with a luxurious interior, which boosted its prestige. It also featured a very futuristic design, with hidden headlights in the front and a light bar in the back.

The judges were satisfied with all of the cars presented in this category, with each car bringing something unique to the table. The judges ended up having a long debate deciding what car should win in this category, but after a while, a decision was made.

Final Results
THE RESULTS

The audience was quite excited for this category. The announcer came on stage to show who won the best futuristic car award:

4th: Walkenhorst-Manthley (@Fayeding_Spray)
3rd: Mons 356-Esque (@cake_ape)
2nd: Planar Ghiraga (@lotto77)
1st: Wolfe Urbania (@karhgath)

Congrats to Karhgath with the smol car! Car of the year will be done soon. Good Luck!

4 Likes
CAR OF THE YEAR

June 8th, 1974. 9:12 AM.

The final day of the Letara Automotive Convention has arrived, and this day would be the most exciting. The judges would meet for the last time to debate on which car would recieve the coveted “CAR OF THE YEAR” award. The judges looked at the cars that entered into the finals.

Wolfram WLF-6

@abg7

The first car that the judges decided to look at was the Wolfram WLF-6. It was scored the highest in its previous round and it did pretty well in this round. It had a decent design compared to the other cars, but it didn’t really attract the attention of the judges. What did catch the judges’ eyes was the amount of new technology it had an EFI system and a catalytic converter in the engine; a cassette player and 80’s safety tech in the interior. This made it the least polluting and most advanced car presented.

Mara Kavaler

@AndiD

The next car, the Mara Kavaler, was not built for this category. While it wasn’t downright ugly, it really didn’t have a unique and eye catching design compared to the other cars. The interior design was also quite lackluster. It lacked new technology, it had average safety and its emissions were abysmal, with it being the most polluting car in the category. It was so bad that the convention hall that contained the Mara Kavaler had to be evacuated on the 3rd day!

Primus Astrona

@Happyhungryhippo

The judges looked at the Primus Astrona next, which was another car not fit for this category. It shared the same design issues as the previous car: Not unique and eye-catching. It also had similar safety and lack of technology too. Thankfully, it didn’t have disaster causing emissions like the Kavaler.

Wolfe Vampira

@karhgath

Now here is something a bit more interesting: The Wolfe Vampira. This car was probably the most unique one that made it to the finals, as it had a very eye-catching design. However, it was a bit of polarizing, as there were some people that weren’t fans of the looks. The car had that same new technology as the Wolfram, except for the Catalytic Converter, which gave it a boost in interest.

Wraith Neapolitan

@knugcab

The Wraith Neapolitan was the next car to be reviewed by the judges. While the design may not be as eye-catching as the previous car, it does still have a rather great design, and the interior was really nice! Even though it is a luxury car, it did not have futuristic safety tech, yet it was still the safest car presented. The only new tech it did have was a catalytic converter.

Vaughn Firebolt

@knugcab

The next car the judges looked over was actually made by the same company as the previous car, even though it is a different marque. Like the previous car, it had a great design and very well made interior that was a favorite! It too, had a catalytic converter. Unfortunately, it did not have as high of a safety score.

The Knightwick

@mart1n2005

The last car that would be presented to the judges is the Knighwick. A rather simple car, there isn’t anything to unique about it, except for it being a small hatchback, yet the judges still liked its simple design. The interior was rather basic in design too. The car brought no new technology to the table and was the least safest car presented.

The judges were finished, and knew what car the shoud elect as car of the year. The judges were rather excited, but a little sad, that they would be giving the award out and closing the convention.

Final Results
THE RESULTS

The audience started gathering in the auditorium 20 minuted before award ceremony. Today was the most attended day, with every car enthusiast rooting for something to win, including the Kavaler! At 4:00 PM, the lights went out as a judge walked on stage with an envelope and a plaque. He opens the envelope.

And the car of the year award goes to...

Wolfram WLF-6

Full Podium
  1. @abg7 (Wolfe WLF-6)
  2. @Knugcab (Wraith Neapolitan)
  3. @karhgath (Wolfe Vampira)
  4. @Knugcab (Vaughn Firebolt)
  5. @mart1n2005 (The Knighwick)
  6. @Happyhungryhippo (Primus Astrona)
  7. @AndiD (Mara Kavaler)

Congrats to @abg7 and their car that has been chosen as the car of the year. They will have the privilege of hosting the next auto convention. It they do not want to host, then the next person on the above podium can decide whether or not they want to host, then the next, and so on. Try to create it soon after LHC submissions closes and try to keep it based around the challenge. I’m glad that all of you had decided to join in and enjoy this challenge and I hope you have a wonderful day or night!

6 Likes

Thank you for hosting.

Also, I am surprised, delighted and relieved to be announced as the overall winner of the 1974 LAC. And I am ready to host the next LAC as a sequel to this one, after submissions for the current LHC have closed.

1 Like