1974 Letara Auto Convention (FINAL RESULTS)

1974 Letara Auto Convention
I am an actual idiot. I accidentally slammed my elbow on the keyboard and posted this early. I'm so sorry ;-;

In the 1960’s, A convention center would be built in Letara to hold auto shows, but remained mostly unused, and when use, it was for minor automotive events. However, this year, a letter would be sent out to all major car companies that sold their products in the great country of Letara. It said that they would be invited to the 1974 Letara Auto Convention, where they would be able to show off concept cars or any cars that may be sold in the future. The convention would last 4 days (Not in real life), with a car being elected as the best in a category each day. At the end of the convention, 1 car would be elected with “Car of the Year” award. Ready?

SCORING
Scoring will be based on the priorities given and how well your car compares to other competitors.
CATEGORIES
PRODUCTION
The first category that will be used for the challenge is the production car category. These will be cars that are more likely, or will be produced. There will be 3 Sub-Categories for this section: Standard, LuxurySports, and Best of the Year. These cars will have a more realistic techpool limit and budget. Despite this, there will still be some freedom for the car you produce.

RULES FOR PRODUCTION CARS

• 25 Tech Points to Distribute Towards the Engine
  • 40 Tech Points to Distribute Towards the Car
  • Quality can’t be higher/lower than ±4
  • Techpool in one engineering area can’t be higher than 8.
  • Model, Trim, Family, and Variant year must be set to 1974
  • Fuel type must be one of the following:
    • Unleaded Gas with an octane rating of 91, 95, or 98 Ron
    • Any Ethanol Gas
  • Minimum Standard 60’s Safety
  • Headlights, Taillights, Brake Lights, Reverse Lights, and Indicators are all required.
    • Headlights must shine White or Yellow
    • Brake lights and Taillights must shine red
    • Reverse Lights must shine white
    • Front indicators must shine orange, Rears must shine red or orange
  • Mirrors Required
  • Wiper Required
  • An interior isn’t required, but are still highly preferable
  • No race parts
  • Aero is allowed, but nothing over the top and crazy
STANDARD (S)
The standard car category will be cars that are meant to be for everyone; a family car that anyone can afford, or maybe a city car, or a truck. Who knows? This category is very flexible, however, there is a budget and there are some priorities.

RULES

• 17,500 AMU Max Budget

PRIORITIES
High - :star: :star: :star:

• Drivability
  • Comfort
  • Safety

Medium - :star: :star:

• Price (The Lower, The Better)
  • Reliability
  • Emmisions
  • Fuel Economy
  • Service Costs

Low - :star:

• Practicality
  • Size (Lower is Better)
  • Utility
LUXURYSPORTS (R)
This is a combination of two categories of cars: Sports and Luxury Cars. The goal is to create a highly vauluable and prestigous that drivers dream of owning. Use this oppurtunity to show the power, or comfort, that your brand is able to deliver!

RULES

• 30,000 AMU Max Budget

PRIORITIES

• Comfort
  • Sportiness
  • Prestige
  • Design (Interiors are still not required, but are recomended for this category)

• Drivability
  • Safety

• Emmisions
  • Reliability
CAR OF THE YEAR

The car of the year award is what all car companies dream of; even just getting nominated is an achievement! These cars are the bestest of the best from both categories. The top 4 cars from each category will be placed in this category, and will then be scored and ranked. The winner of this category will host the next auto convention. If they decline, the next person on the podium can host it.

SCORING

• Score from the first category
  • Design (Interior still isn’t required, but would benefit)
  • Uniqueness
  • Emissions
  • Safety
  • Bonus Points for any New and Advanced Technology
What counts as new tech?
  • Turbo System
  • EFI Fuel System
  • Catalytic Converter (Any)
  • Advanced Automatic Transmission
  • Air Suspension
  • Cassette Player
  • 80’s Safety
NON-PRODUCTION (X)
This category will contain your crazy prototypes that aren't at all realistic, but they are definetley neat to look at. This category will far less strict rules and budget, and will mostly be judged on design, and not engineering. Let your imagination go wild!

RULES FOR NON-PRODUCTION CARS

• Max Budget 45,000 AMU
  • 40 Tech Points to Distribute Towards the Engine
  • 55 Tech Points to Distribute Towards the Car
  • Quality can’t be higher/lower than ±7
  • Model, Trim, Family, and Variant year must be set to 1974
  • Fuel type must be one of the following:
    • Unleaded Gas with an octane rating of 91, 95, or 98 Ron
    • Any Ethanol Gas
  • Minimum Standard 60’s Safety
  • Headlights, Taillights, Brake Lights, Reverse Lights, and Indicators are all required.
    • Headlights must shine White or Yellow
    • Brake lights and Taillights must shine red
    • Reverse Lights must shine white
    • Front indicators must shine orange, Rears must shine red or orange
  • Mirrors Required
  • Wiper Required
  • An interior isn’t required, but are still highly preferable
  • Race parts allowed
  • Aero is allowed. Feel free to go a little crazy, but don’t go stupid with it.

PRIORITIES

• Design (Interiors are still not required, but are recomended for this category.)
  • Prestige

• Comfort
  • Sportiness

• Safety

TIMELINE & SUBMISSION

Discussion about the rules will end on Friday, January 27, 2023, @ 23:59 GMT. Submissions open on Saturday, January 28, 2023, @ 00:00 GMT and close on Friday, Febuary 10, 2023, @ 23:59 GMT. Please PM your .car file to me and post an ad before the deadline. It is my first time hosting a challenge, so feedback and patience is much appreciated.

SUBMISSION

• You can submit up to 2 cars
    • You can only submit 1 car per submittable category (S, R, X)
  • Your model and family must be named with the following format
    • LAC - 1[Category] - [Forum Username]
    • Trim & Variant Name is free
    • Example: “LAC - 1R - FidleDo” is a car being submitted in the LuxurySports Category
  • PM your submission to me on the forums

COPY & PASTE
Standard: LAC - 1S - <FORUM USERNAME>
LuxurySports: LAC - 1R - <FORUM USERNAME>
Non-Production: LAC - 1X - <FORUM USERNAME>

If there is an issue with your submission, I will try to let you know as soon as I can. However, I cannot guarentee noticing at the right time, so I’d make sure to check everything before you submit.

One last and very important thing: Have Fun with It!

CHANGELOG
Changelog

Edit 1:

• Increased Techpool Points allowed
  • Loosened Quality Limit
  • Increased Pricing
  • Allowed More Gas Options
    Edit 2:
  • Major Rule Overhaul
    Edit 3:
  • Changed Budget in all categories
  • Changed Pricing on Priority Ladder
  • Slightly Reduced Tech Pool
  • Clarified Submission Rules
  • Added what counts as new tech
    Edit 4:
  • Reminded people to PM their submissions
4 Likes

Maybe make it so the car has to be based on/inspired by an LHC entry? Not necessarily literally, but just paired with an image of the LHC car?

ok these are concept cars. Why are we making them with stuff that makes it so that these cars would actually be made, cuz they never are

1 Like

Yes. I think that the car you make should be based on your brand’s design philosophy, or possibly a new philosophy your brand will try out.

The reason for some of the rules and requirements being in place is more to bring in more realism, rather than to limit cars. However, I don’t mind making some changes to make it so that your brand brings in some innovation.

my main issue is price and techpool, I think those should just be buck wild like concept cars usually are, claiming that they can use technology that they usually cant

The increased tech pool compared to LHC is nice (+3 in engines, +16 trim), but price is still very low, I agree - my luxury cars are twice the price allocated here. Even with the new tech pool place in most costly components, my luxury car is still 35k and cannot even enter the priciest category.

Considering luxury cars are starting to get taxed at 25k, the price should definitely be higher.

I would suggest that, if you want an affordable category, have a specific category for it. “Best car you could actually buy”. Otherwise most performance and luxury brands in Letara won’t be able to enter (other than making worse cars for the show).

Otherwise a really great idea.

3 Likes

this, but instead of that. Have a production category, and a none production category. Production can have cars that might actually get made, none production is for stupid ahh cars

What do you think about doing each category one at a time, so you have more entries per category?

Regarding Techpool and pricing, I have increased the both, and allowed for higher quality and more gas options.

Regarding some of the categories that you have proposed, some of them I do like the idea of, so I think that it would be best to decide the via a poll.

Number of Submissions
  • 1 Submission (Current)
  • 2 Submissions (1 Per category. Pros: More cars you can submit. Cons: Possibly longer grading time)
  • 3 Submissions (1 Per category. Pros: You can submit in every category. Cons: Possibly way longer grading time)

0 voters

Categories
  • Keep the categories the same; Luxury, Innovative, Sporty, Best. More of a competition like challenge.
  • Categories based on if a car will be produced. Category 1 will be cars that are more likely to be produced (Lower budget, Lower techpool, More Realistic), with 2 subcategories: Standard cars and LuxurySports cars. Category 2 will be cars that are not going to be produced, and are used to show how cars can push the limits (Higher Budget, Higher Techpool, Less Realistic). Car of the year would only apply to category 1 cars. More of a relaxed challenge. Possible delay of submissions opening.

0 voters

3 Likes

Major Overhaul Complete

I have now changed the rules of the challenge to match what y’all wanted from the poll. Due to the tie in the number of submissions, I just decided to go for the middle and just allow 2. Submissions will still open at the same time. Feedback is much appreciated!

5 Likes

Since techpool has a huge impact on price, and price is 3-star for category S, I’d vote for much stricter techpool rules at least for that category. (Quality rules are fine IMO)

Since this is Letara, how about taking the LHC3 techpool rules, adding a few selected points here and there (similar to the evolution from LHC2 to LHC3) and making that techpool mandatory for category S at least?

Perhaps also for R and X, with a few (R) and a couple (X) TP points for everyone to distribute freely for a few selected unlocks or stat boosts? (For category S any points to choose will end up in chassis, engine family, fuel system or interior anyway if price stays 3-star…) Max price may need a slight adjustment in this case for all three categories (or even not?).

See also

When you say one car per category is that one production and one non production? Or one luxury sports and one non production.

@AndiD

I don’t want to reduce the tech pool too much in the categories because these are meant to be concept cars with futuristic tech, but I will reduce it a little bit. I will also reduce the budget a little bit and the pricing on the priority list.

@mart1n2005

What I mean by you can submit 2 cars per category, I mean submittable category (S, R, X). This means you can submit two cars in the production category, but one has to be S and the other R.

2 Likes
SUBMISSIONS ARE OPEN!

Submissions are now open and will close on Friday, Febuary 10, 2023, @ 23:59 GMT. Good luck to everyone participating, and I hope you have a good time.

2 Likes

I am finding these price targets tricky. However, Canmo has a couple prepared.

First is a production-capable exotic inspired by Ferrari and Lamborghini - the Sprint Wagon Concept. It’s a V12 powered shooting break style wagon with 2 seats that fold into a bed. Glass spans between the tail lights, similar to the Lamborghini Espada.

The second is the introduction of the first generation Canmo Kestral. This car shares
a platfrom that evolved into my Canmo Sprint coupe from the 80s that I submitted to another competition. In essence it’s a be-spoilered mild concept version of a new production car, with some added vents, alloy wheels and paint to match the Sprint Wagon Concept. It’s powered by a new 2.2L featuring high technology such as fuel injection and dual overhead cams - this engine would go into the production car in a cheaper tune.

4 Likes

1974 Walkenhorst-Manthey 650X-G5 Turbo Concept

Presented to the LAC in 1974, the 650X concept was the first official presentation by Walkenhorst’s official Motorsport arm, Manthey Racing. This formation was spurred by the increase want for sport performance models, and the want for Walkenhorst to go racing officially.

The 650X concept goes all in on the idea of Turbocharging. Taking a 3L Inline six, adding a turbocharger, allowing it to make 650hp to the rear wheels through a 5 speed gearbox. The concept presents an idea for how Walkenhorst and Manthey could present themselves in motorsport competitions going forwards.

7 Likes

I still think that none production should have an unlimited price

is anyone even going to read this? I guess I'll just put a spaceship here (_)(_)=====D~~

Planar History Files: Planar’s 1974 Letaran Auto Convention stand.

For the 1974 Letaran Auto Convention, Planar brought two cars, the cheap and sensible PG15 Genoace, and the out-of-this-world Ghiraga III concept.

PG15 Planar Genoace

The first car unveiled was the new revision of the Genoace, Planar’s small and cheap car that was never officially sold in Letara. The PG15 brought to the '74 LAC was nothing more than a styling update of the car, but they still showed off their sporty 2000 model to gauge interest for cheaper Planars in Letara.

OOC: Just imagine the B pillars on the Genoace are black I only just noticed that they were the wrong colour before posting WHOOPS.

Planar Ghiraga III concept

The Ghiraga III was a wild concept intended to show what the future model of their Ghiraga GT would look like. But of course, being the 70’s it was a wild wedge concept with even wilder ideas.

Externally, it was already what you’d expect from a crazy wedge concept. Thin lights up front flanking air intakes that housed hidden pop-out headlights, all part of a plastic integrated bumper, BIG side exit exhausts, a large lightbar up the back, and futuristic wheels.

Internally, however, was something else entirely. According to Planar it was driven by two gas turbines, showing the cleaner future for the company through high-tech engines. In reality it had two dummy turbines in front they could point to, but it was just a fancy fibreglass shell wrapped around a chopped up supercar chassis, complete with a mid-mounted V12 for when it needed to be moved.

8 Likes

1974 Wolfe Urbania Concept

Wolfe is proud to present at the 1974 LAC the new, truly personal luxury car - the Urbania.

This concept car idea came to Wolfe engineers after the unprecedented floods of '69. How about a small car that can do it all? Semi-amphibious, it can wade through low bodies of water, it can handle some rougher terrain and it is small a nimble. And fast.

Performance is not to be glossed over - With 200hp, this tiny car can accelerate to 100km/h in about 4 seconds! It can even reach 200 km/h when you are late to an important meeting.

The interior is 100% Wolfe - handmade, plush and state of the art amenities. It can even seat two comfortably, and the folding passenger seat can make way to enough luggage space for a weekend getaway.

The Urbania - it can take you anywhere!

12 Likes

If the Genoace is meant for the common man, and designed and engineered accordingly, then the Ghiraga is the answer to the question “What would Planar’s flagship supercar - a halo car for the whole company - look like?” I’m sure the gas turbine would be unworkable, but the V12 won’t be - and a production version of the Ghiraga deserves nothing less.