1984 Letaran Auto Convention (completed)

1984 Letaran Auto Convention (completed)

A sequel to the 1974 Letaran Auto Convention that ties in to the recently concluded fourth round and the upcoming fifth round of the Letara History Challenge.

Ever since it hosted the first Letaran Auto Convention in 1974, the Lerance Convention Center, a vast building in the national capital of Letara, has been a place of interest for the world’s motoring press. Since then, every year, every major car manufacturer with a presence in the Letaran market has been invited to the LAC. A decade later, it remains a showcase for their concept and production-ready cars, as well as any advanced technology they may utilize. Are you ready to show Letara what your products can provide to the car-buying public?

General Rules (all production cars)

All submissions in any production car categories must follow the rules stated below.

• Tech pool allocation: 25 (engine), 40 (car); maximum tech pool of 8 in any one area.
  • Maximum quality of +5 in any area for car or engine.
  • Model, trim, family, and variant years must all be set to 1984.
  • Fuel type must be either unleaded (91, 95 or 98 RON) or any form of ethanol blend.
  • A 3-way catalytic converter (either normal or high-flow) and two mufflers will be required.
  • At least Standard 70s safety will be required, but Standard 80s safety or better is recommended.
  • All cars must have at least one pair each of headlights (white bulbs and lenses), taillights (red bulbs and lenses), brake lights (red bulbs and lenses) and indicators (orange bulbs and lenses).
  • All cars must have front (orange) and rear (red) side reflectors; these may be integrated into the headlight and taillight assemblies, respectively.
  • Although not required, all cars may have a visible third brake light, mounted centrally in the rear and at or above trunk height. They can be mounted on aero fixtures (wings, lips, spoilers). If a car’s lore post states the presence of a third brake light, but no such fixture is fitted to the actual car, I will assume it is placed either ahead of the base of the rear window or at the top of the trunk lid.
  • All cars must have a fuel filler cap.
  • All cars must have two mirrors (one each on the driver and passenger sides).
  • All cars must have at least one front windscreen wiper.
  • An interior is recommended, but not required.
  • No race parts of any kind (semi-slick tires, as well as racing headers and intakes).
  • Functional aero fixtures are allowed – you can have positive downforce values at either end of the car (or both, just don’t go too crazy with them.
  • Advanced trim settings may be used, but in moderation.
  • Most mods are allowed, except for the Legacy Body Pack (which I don’t have).
  • No V16 engines (I don’t have the requisite key).
List of Advanced Technology

The following items are classified as advanced technology for this year’s LAC:

• Carbon-fiber panels and/or chassis
  • Multilink rear suspension
  • V10 engines
  • 5-valve DOHC heads
  • Lightweight forged and low-friction cast pistons
  • Any type of variable valve timing (VVT)
  • Twin-scroll turbochargers
  • 4-piston vented discs
  • 4-speed advanced automatic transmission
  • CD player
  • Advanced 90s safety
  • Traction control
  • Adaptive dampers

The two production car categories are as follows:

Standard (S): This encompasses a wide variety of cars for the masses, from entry-level (sub)compacts) and mid-sized family cars to (mini)vans, pick-up trucks, and SUVs of various sizes, with a maximum budget of $25,000 AMU. The priorities for this category are as follows:

Major Priorities :star: :star: :star:

• Drivability
  • Safety
  • Comfort

Moderate Priorities :star: :star:

• Price (less is usually more)
  • Reliability
  • Emissions (trim)
  • Fuel Economy (in US mpg)
  • Service Costs
  • Design

Minor Priorities :star:

• Practicality
  • Utility

Luxury/Performance (R): This is a category reserved for upmarket, luxury, and high-performance cars (including supercars), with a maximum budget of $40,000 AMU. The priorities for this category are as follows:

• Sportiness
  • Prestige
  • Design
  • Comfort

• Drivability
  • Safety

• Emissions
  • Fuel economy (in US mpg)
  • Reliability

Letaran Car of the Year

Only the top 5 cars from each of the two categories above are eligible for this award. The scoring criteria are as follows:

• Score in original category
  • Design
  • Uniqueness
  • Emissions
  • Fuel economy (in US mpg)
  • Safety
  • Bonus points for use of any advanced technology (as listed above)

Non-Production Concepts (X)

These cars will not be intended for production, but are meant to draw as large a crowd as possible (hopefully for the right reasons). In this category, design takes precedence over engineering, but the rules are identical to those for the two Production Car categories, with the following exceptions:

• Tech pool: 40 (engine), 60 (car), with no limits in any area; maximum quality of 6.
  • Race parts (intake, headers, semi-slick tires) may be used.
  • Maximum price: $70,000 AMU.

• Prestige
  • Design

• Sportiness
  • Comfort

• Safety

Schedule

Rules discussion ends at 11:59 pm GMT on Monday, March 6th, 2023. Submissions open at 12:00 am GMT on Tuesday, March 7th, 2023 and close at 12:00 am GMT on Tuesday, March 21st, 2023.

Submission Guidelines

You may submit up to 3 cars, with a maximum of 1 car per category. For each category, the model and family names are as follows:

Standard: LAC - 2S - your forum user name
Luxury/Performance: LAC - 2R - your forum user name
Non-Production: LAC - 2X - your forum user name

Regardless of the category, I will only accept submissions through forum DM (not Discord), and each submission must be accompanied by a post on this thread showing a picture of the car(s) submitted. However, if your entry violates any of the rules stated in the OP, I will not reject them immediately; instead, I will inform you as soon as I can, although there is no guarantee that I will notice any rule breaks - so make sure to (double-)check your submission before you send it.

This is also the first time I have hosted a round of a challenge after winning its previous round, so I appreciate your feedback and patience.

Changelog
  • Date set to 1984
  • Updated list of advanced technology
  • Adjusted price for Luxury/Performance and Non-Production categories
  • V16s outlawed along with Legacy Body Pack mod

Above all, good luck, and have fun!

3 Likes

I’m curious why you chose 1992? Shouldn’t it be 1984 - the last year of Round 4 to showcase concepts for the next round that will start in 1985? At least the previous round of LAC was set to the last year of LHC round 3 (1974) to showcase cars for the current round (1975-1984). So to me it looks like you’re skipping a round of LHC and gambling on the timeline of the next round.

I actually agree there. A gamble not only on the timeline, but also on the regulations. We have no idea how they will look in 1992 yet.

Another note: When there js another round of LAC, there most likely wouldn’t be a good rp-year to for convention to be hosted without it being to close to the current set year or being to late in the timeline. It is best to possibly switch it to earlier time like 1984 in order for the timeline to make sense.

Good point. I am actually considering setting this LAC in 1984 (to better tie in to the current round of the LHC, as well as the next one), and will allow the winner (or the highest-placed entrant capable of hosting) to host the one after that - setting LAC2 in 1992 may turn out to be a step too far forward in the Letaran timeline.

Update: I have decided that the next LAC will take place in 1984 after all, and have adjusted the rule set accordingly.

This was also a time when profound change swept through the world of car design, as the link below shows - if you need inspiration, just click on it.

4 Likes

1984 Mara Zora LK3

This clean sheet development of the early 1980s was a replacement for the Tovarysh/Companion of 1950s vintage in the budget city / small family car market, representing Mara’s first venture into transverse FWD layouts.

The Zorya / Zora was going to be available as a 3-door regular hatchback (as seen on the convention) or as a taller 5-door hatchback and panel van.

While a few different engine configurations were explored during development, the Zora ultimately received a thoroughly modernised B-variant of the Konyk I4 1.3 OHV engine which had already powered the Zora’s predecessor.

The most notable aspect on the inside was that the dashboard sported a number of electronically indicated warning lights.

8 Likes

I forgot to tell you this, but submissions are now open. The rule set is finalized.

Zephorus Autos

logo3

GGL Edition

A production ready concept

Luxury, Sport and [REDACTED]

5.5L V10 producing 475hp as standard

All models will do over 200mph

Engine shown above is for the [REDACTED] trim specification, aiming to produce enough power to exceed 1:1 hp:kg

These cars are not a real product of any manufacturer, any likeness or other similarities to real brands is purely coincidence.
13 Likes

Can you elaborate on what “advanced technology” means? Is that things that are desirable to have?

I believe so

1 Like

1984 KESSEL STRATA

Ford’s Probe III concept (and subsequent Ford Sierra production car) shocked the world with its revolutionary design. Now Kessel is ready to take the world by storm with the brand new Strata. Sleek, futuristic lines are as exciting as they are functional, improving aerodynamics, stability, and fuel economy.

5 Likes

VAUGHN PRESENTS:
THE 1984 SIRIN

So, this is of course a concept car? No. It is a regular production car, that soon will be available at your Vaughn dealer.

The Vaughn Sirin means the return of the fun, affordable sports car. Midship all aluminium 2.8 litre V6. 5 speed manual transmission. 4 wheel disc brakes. Fiberglass body panels - will never rust, weight under 1000 kg!

Wanna let the sunshine in? Targa tops will fix that for you. Other equipment included: Leather upholstered sports seats, leather wrapped sports steering wheel, ABS, electric windows, and a premium sound system with tape deck.

Now, this looks inviting, doesn’t it?

The all new Vaughn Sirin. Soon at a Vaughn-Wraith-VCV dealership near you!

8 Likes

New 1984 Primus models for Letara

Primus Globus offers a lot of new models for 1984 - at the convention we show the two most important ones.

After 15 years of absence in the compact class, Primus’ brand new Advance 1.8 GL offers everything you’d expect from a modern car. According to it’s name, the multi-valve engine and the Digitrans automatic are a dream-team, and it has noticeable space and comfort to offer. This car is everything you need, if a totally reasonnable car is what you are looking for.

The all-new Astrona is a revolution in the midsize class, no other competitor is that modern. We think, we’ll be able to go even further. The Astrona Turbo is as expensive as the Imperator 320 - and what can you expect for this?
Mind-blowing performance and a firework of newest technology for sure. The interior offers best quality aluminium and leather surfaces, and the passenger space matches with full-size cars. The full-time AWD system distributes the power the most efficient way, and it makes sports cars green with envy on the roads. This might be the hottest offer in the midsize class, and you won’t wish a full-size boat unless you’re an old man who doesn’t like spectacular things any more. Which is totally fine, we have also facelifted the Imperator…

PLEASE NOTICE - HETVESIAN SPEC MODELS SHOWN. LETARA MODELS MIGHT DIFFER IN DETAILS.

9 Likes

Canmo is bringing 3 cars to the 1984 show.

First up is the Canmo Chickadee, showcasing the sporty Sprint 3 door hatch. The Chickadee is a new FWD compact for the brand, taking over for the Kestrel in the small car lineup as the slightly larger RWD Kestrel is due to grow in size in the near future. All Chickadees are powered by 1.2L 3 cylinders - in 80hp or 101hp Turbocharged trim.

Next is the 1984 Canmo Super Sprint M8TT, an updated mid-engine take on the Super Sprint concept from 1974 with a new 3L twin turbo V8.

Lastly the Canmo Pegasus is a production capable pony car concept using a more advanced version of the twin turbo V8 debuting in the M8TT.

6 Likes

Just a reminder: You have one week to send in your submissions; if you have not done so, please submit them via forum DM, and make sure they are accompanied by an ad showing pictures of the cars in question.

Proudly showcasing at the 1984 Letaran Auto Convention, from your friends at Van Zandt:

The Van Zandt Avant - 1984 production model of the astounding hyper-mileage hatchback. A dedicated compact commuter with no compromise in accommodation.

The Avant is reaching its fifth-year anniversary and remains a popular car among the cosmopolitan, the economical, and the practical. Boasting 30 miles-per-gallon, it achieves the feat with front-wheel drive and advanced engine design, light-weight and hyper-eutectic components, and mechanical fuel injection.

The Van Zandt Avant Solara - an advanced four-door concept in the future Avant family.

The Avant Solara future concept builds on the advanced Front-Wheel Drive design while offering more all around. Wheelbase is 3 inches longer and increased interior space just brings the design out of the compact category. The engine is turned sideways and makes more use of the space available. Multi-point electronic fuel injection is added to the mix to make a superior car of the future that matches the mileage of a city compact today.

3 Likes

Swanson 237 STF

Power is Safety

Harshness is Comfort

Practical is Fun

Literally 1984

While the base car arrived a bit earlier, the “Vaporware” turbo trim was slightly delayed and debuted in production form in 1984.

As promised, 450 hp gave a 300 km/h top speed and 0-100 in 3,5 seconds, with the very much necessary help of rear-bias AWD.

Old, proven carburettors, pushrods and d i s p l a c e m e n t have proven its mettle in racing, for road cars it was time to move on, with fuel injection, overhead valves and in this , twin turbos. All that extra plumbing would of course be a nightmare and/or cash grab for mechanics.
As before, it also works as a family vehicle, with 4 doors and seats, and a rather large liftback.

Side note: this is the Ur-Swanson, first built back in 2020, and redeveloped after the major update. Past and future models are made to have at least some logical connection to it.
Contrast the USC entry which is a later year, but this is an improved version in every way (I hope, hah)

(The racing inspired two-tone and rear louvres would probably be optional)

Edit: just noticed the orange lens rule last minute so here's a shot with compliance lights

5 Likes

If you thought the Astrona Turbo is boring because Primus feared the very last bit of courage with their ultra-mega-hyper-ChuckNorris-car, well, it can´t become more individualistic than this competitor.

2 Likes

A “final form” Ultimate edition exists (with Benetsch level power), but this is overkill enough.

is anyone even going to read this? I guess I'll just put a spaceship here (_)(_)=====D~~

Planar History Files: Planar’s 1984 Letaran Auto Convention stand.

For the 1984 Letaran Auto Convention, Planar brought just one new car among their stand of current models, the 1984 refresh of the PG20 series Genoace.

PG22 Planar Genoace

The PG22 Genoace may just be the update of a 4 year old car that’s derived from a Halvson hatchback, but the 1984 PG22 was an important car in many respects.

Powered for the first time by a non-RX40 series engine, the 1800 model used Halvson’s IH418 4 cylinder, with an advanced ESi MPEFI system and four valves per cylinder, producing a (for the time) thoroughly decent 87kW, with much improved economy over the old 2 litre RX44.

Marketing itself on high-end features and comfort for under $15k AMU, the car had a very upmarket appearance and improved build quality from previous models.

3 Likes