Used Car Shopping - All Scoring Areas Out!

gotcha, thanks

6 Likes

Submissions due the Monday after this weekend (A little less than 48 hours).

The amount of entries has now risen to 22! :D

@abg7
@AndiD
@BG004130
@conan
@desperatedonut5
@DuceTheTruth100
@GassTiresandOil
@interior
@Knugcab
@lotto77
@nightwave
@Marv666
@Odyssey_Fan
@oppositelock
@Poli_Viteko
@RAZR
@Restomod
@S31
@Sky99
@TheYugo45GV
@Violent_Lobster
@voiddoesnotknow

Also, @Prium made a forum post showing a car, but I don’t think I’ve received an entry yet.

Let me know if you see anything wrong here.

5 Likes

1995 Neko CX-2 X-Series

1850$, dont contact me if you dont want it

6 Likes

1998 Valiant 18AR 2.4sr

5 Likes

FOR SALE
Swanson 225PF (RARE!) 2000 $
1992 - 123.000 miles - 160++ hp - MANual - 5 doors

MASSAGE ONLY NO CALLS NO SOLICITORS NO LOWBALLIN

Wife says I need to get a grownup car. So the good old “yeeyee-ass 80s hatchback” (???) needs a new home
Really it’s a good family car but “it’s about the message” whatever the F that means
Mint and mostly stock, keep it nice and you can MAKE money!
My uncle says this is a rare car, most 225s got automatecs here in the US, it’s the last year for this gen. Hes a mod at SwansonOC.org and knows evrything about cars, check it out great site! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swanson_200_(fourth_generation)
(The white and red 237-4 Eurospec, in last pic is his car, NOT for sale!)

Boxer 6!!! Sportair filter, catback for more power and angry Poorschue noises!
It’s no 237 but still pretty quick, will spin and drift if you want, great for hooning!
My best 1/4 mile with it is 15.78, top speed 150 mph!
Big boot, 6-footers DO fit in the back
Good milage, I get 33 mpg highway
NO RUST - full repaint in 2013 originel Pearl White
No accidens (since I got it in 2012 anyway)
AC works great
Lether/Alcantara intrior, great condition, even got the stupid cupholder covers
Electric windows, sunroof, central looking works 99,9%!
Great originel stereo, ebay aux connecter installed, if you don’t have casettes LOL
Hankuk RS-3s on retro 16"s, 1/4 inch tread left
New stiffer springs and dampers, full Pwerflex 2014
Oil change evry 5000 miles
New radiater 2017
New spark plugs 2021
New clear front and rear lights 2015

3 Likes

Does it run? … How many miles?..has any major work ever been done to it?..is it registered? Smogged?

It’s a surprise :D

Looks like a nice car, but what an awkward buying experience this would be.

2 Likes

“You are here to buy the thing, not ask questions. Dont contact me again”

5 Likes

All right, how do you want to be payed? Check? Cash? Wire? Venmo? Do you need a dump truck to swing buy with half a ton of pennies?

3 Likes

You want $1850 and no details???

No offense to you bruh but I hate when I see ads like that.

Every question I asked was essential.

I should have the answer to ALL those questions and then some before I fork over cash. I’ve bought a lot of used cars and in the early days I didn’t ask a lot of questions. That shit bit me in the ass a FEW times.

Now, I give 2 shits…I’m asking QUESTIONS!!!

It’s better that I ask now than be stuck at the DMV not being able to register the damn car cause I failed to ask why the check engine light was on.

Dope car btw…that’s why I inquired in the first place.

Edit: I hope this doesn’t come off as salt/shade/coming at you foul…I’m not trying to at all…you are cool in my book…:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Considering how I wrote Nathan, he probably doesn’t even know what half those questions mean.

He may be doomed to repeat thy fate… (:

4 Likes

What would buying used cars online be without insane people selling shitboxes tbh.

5 Likes

Lmao…sounds like me back in the day

Bro, ONE my worst purchases led to me buying a '89 Cadillac Eldorado. Young me going off of looks alone, bought the car…completely ignoring the fact that the engine was swapped. I believe it had a 4.9 when it should’ve had the 4.5 v8. The guy told me the engine had been rebuilt🤦🏿‍♂️. Check engine light was on, had a push button starter…bruh smh… .and I still bought it.

Worst car purchase ever. Couldn’t smog it, couldn’t register it…I just drove it until I couldn’t no more…never again.

3 Likes

At that point, should have cubed it, or do the fun way and overloaded it with fireworks and just burn the car. either way you would have got some of the value out of the car.

2 Likes

Lol…value…or excitement. Either one would’ve been cool

2 Likes

is this a roleplay thread

5 Likes
And submissions are closed!
The final total amounts to 26! :D

@abg7
@AndiD
@BG004130
@conan
@desperatedonut5
@DuceTheTruth100
@GassTiresandOil
@interior
@Knugcab
@lotto77
@Ludvig
@nightwave
@mart1n2005
@Marv666
@Mikonp7
@Odyssey_Fan
@oppositelock
@Poli_Viteko
@Prium
@RAZR
@Restomod
@S31
@Sky99
@TheYugo45GV
@Violent_Lobster
@voiddoesnotknow

Let me know if you see anything wrong here.

Fun stats about the contest:
  • The mean model year of a given submission is 1995.27. The median model year is 1994. The most common single model year is 1992.
  • The newest model year submitted is 2009, and the oldest 2 are 1990.
  • ~5 people ended up receiving an “alert” that they had submitted an illegal entry.
  • No one resubmitted more then once, and those that did were all prompted by an alert.
  • Despite not being required in this challenge, 25/26 contestants made some kind of forum post (and many of them were quite impressive (: ).
  • 38 total cars were added to the cool wall by 16 users. All but 3 of them fell on the positive side of the cool wall.
  • That is in addition to the 36 original cars on the wall, of which 19 were rated positively, and 16 negatively (and one neutral).
  • 6 of the users who requested an addition to the cool-wall ultimately did not submit a car for the contest (accounting for 14 of the additions).
  • Inversely, only 2 people asked 3 questions about a car’s cool wall placement, and both of them ended up submitting.
16 Likes

PRELUDE: RULEBREAKERS

Not all used cars are made the same; wear and tear overtime causes some parts to perform worse, and other parts to break altogether; plus, some owners like to modify their cars. The purpose of this competitions “Soft Rules” was to account for design too unrealistic for a stock car, but which could be explained as a result of the car’s age and past life.

Seeing as this segment is the slowest to grade, we’re gonna get it out of the way first. Overall, of the 25 really awesome valid entries in this contest, 17 cars incurred with some kind of penalty, usually for “unrealistic/uncharacteristic engineering” (the details of which, are explained below). But before we explore those, I should do the instabins:

2009 Taimania Mika SV 1.6

@desperatedonut5

This car exceeded the maximum price by a significant margin (it cost just over $3,000 once adjusted for inflation), and the creator was unable to submit a revision or replacement in time.

Which really is a shame, as this car was really well made. There’s a lot of attention to detail in it’s visual design, and it’s stats are exceptionally good; a budget-spec version of this car would’ve been a very interesting competitor in this contest!

Now, with that out of the way, let’s see who got penalized for what, and why.

1994 Denison King Snake DM-HP

@Violent_Lobster

Let’s start off with the most unique entry; this cute, weird little offroader right here. The car’s visual design (and forum post) portray it in a state of partial disrepair, and as having been modified in the past; but what does that mean mechanically?

Its engine, a 3.1L Pushrod I4 running cast iron everything, is fitted with individual throttle bodies, a race intake, and a pretty significant turbocharger. It makes proportionally a lot of torque (204lb/ft compared to 107hp), only revs to 2,900 RPM, and is tuned for 85.5 RON;

Front wheel drive is an odd choice for an offroader back then, but an even odder choice would be these thin, low-profile, medium compound tires. And the safety is at “standard 80’s,” which is a tad outdated for 1994 (even if the stat is still above 30). To top it off, the rear is running positive camber.

It’s safe to say, this King Snake is very far from factory condition, and has thus earned itself a 5 point unrealism penalty.

2007 Wells H1 Track Edition

@DuceTheTruth100

Notice that phrase, “Track Edition.” Because while this car may look like a Lexus, it bears a lot more mechanical resemblance to a Caterham, being so stripped of features that it makes a Kia Rio look like a Cadillac. And to be honest, it seems to be stripped too much even by track car standards; steel wheels, no ABS, basic 90’s safety (in 2007!), and hard tires (which are really high profile, by the way). Oh, and the brakes aren’t powerful enough to lock.

If it had been made to look like a weekend track car, it might have gotten away with some of that that shedding; but instead, it looks like a GT coupe (hell, it’s almost anachronistic). I wager it was not Wells itself, but some past owner cleaned out the internals of an H1 and took a few good spins in it. That, or this example was a base model that saw some things break over time.

Neither is really very desirable in a new car, so it walks away with a 3 point realism penalty.

On a completely unrelated note, part of its weight shedding involves it missing a radio, which is its own distinct 3 point penalty.

1998 Schnell L20 SLX

@interior

Once upon a time, this used to be a typical, entry-level hatchback, bearing a lot of resemblence to the Honda Civic. It would the kind of car your parents would’ve described as the perfect first car; if some past owner hadn’t messed with it.

In addition to the obvious visual mods in the photos (including spoilers), this L20 wears somewhat overpowered vented brakes, standard rate springs, and tires which are unusually low profile for their width, compared to other USDM cars of the day.

The VTEC-esque engine seems to have remained untouched, fortunately; the RPM does cut off before peak power, but power isn’t priority in a car like this anyway (and it has a nice, wide torque curve), so that can slide.

Overall, this wannabe-racecar gets a 3-point unrealism penalty for its mods.

And here’s our other wannabe-racer for today, a 2.8m sedan (probably once a midrange luxury car, given the premium interior and long wheelbase) wearing stripes, aftermarket spoilers front & rear, turbo stickers, and- hey, not gonna deduct for this, but is that wrinkle paint meant to represent a vinyl wrap? If so, clever!

But all that’s nothing in comparison to the engine, an inline-5 producing all the turbo lag you could ever want and more. Said giant turbo, as well as possibly many other parts, were probably bolted on by the previous owner- who probably had a really good time with it.

Buying someone else’s tuner car is notoriously bad idea most of the time, so let’s account for that with a 3 point unrealism penalty.

1993 Manda Tuono DX8 Z-line

@RAZR

This excellent sports car comes with 2 major faults. Firstly, the engine is tuned to run on 85.6 RON. And more glaringly, this sports car is running a Hydropneumatic suspension; the least sporty suspension type in game by miles. Though this car has no other problems, these 2 flaws are just major enough to earn the car a 3 point unrealism penalty.

On an unrelated note, it’s conrods had 2% engine stress each, so it also earns a 1 point engine stress penalty.

1998 Ibis Phoenix

This Muscle car is for the most part, build pretty solidly; though it does have a few wee oddities, such as its engine using a Direct-acting OHC.

But what earned the Phoenix a 1-point unrealism penalty is its front suspension, which is running positive camber. In a 30’s sports car, that would have been a common choice to make steering easier, but not in a 90’s sports car with power steering.

1990 Aim Swallow H8T

@lotto77

Ah, what a nice, practical looking wagon. It kinda resembles a Subaru Outback. A bit old but it seems to have aged well- HOLY CRAP THIS HAS 300 HORSEPOWER!?!?

Yup, this luxury wagon is actually an Australian muscle car, featuring a blue, turbocharged. 3.6L 300hp V8; which might actually be too much. It doesn’t look like anything else about the car is built to accommodate quite that much power, with its Honda-civic-width tires, regular solid discs, and a suspension tuned strongly towards comfort. This leads me to suspect that this Swallow’s engine was upgraded a tad by its previous owner, and to give it a 1 point unrealism penalty.

On an unrelated note, this was one of the few cars to gamble with premium fuel, so the house takes 1 more point from the Swallow.

2000 Etherea Sunburst

@Sky99

For such a specialized sports car (semi space frame and everything!), the lack of a Limied-slip seems odd; maybe it broke at some point? Also, the suspension is tuned more for comfort than sportiness, and the brakes seem slightly biased rearward. The result of 20 years of wear, I guess.

Said wear makes this Sunburst 1-point less valuable (unrealism penalty) then the equivalent non-worn sunburst.

There are 2 elements that combine to give this AWD sports car a 1 point unrealism penaly: Firstly, it uses a 5 speed automatic, which only the highest-end luxury cars (which this doesn’t appear to be) were even beginning to use in its year. Secondly, its RPM cuts off before peak horsepower, hampering the Garto’s potential.

1995 Neko CiX-2 2DH-X-US

@Mikonp7

As performance-specialized as this car seems to be, a 5 speed automatic is still a bit of a stretch for the CiX-2. Also, its basic 80’s safety doesn’t seem very up to date, and- worst of all -there’s a significant amount of positive camber on the rear. It gets a 1-point unrealism penalty.

On an unrelated note, it’s pistons and conrods had 1% engine stress each, which is just enough for a 1 point engine stress penalty.

1995 Mantra GT 5.0 S8

@Restomod

Another muscle car, featuring a 5L V8 that sends power to the… front wheels? Yeah, that seems wrong for a 250hp, 2-seater sports car of the era. Also, 6-speed manuals were for the most part only found on supercars in 1995; they’re a bit above this Mantra’s pay grade. 1 point off for you!

Another 6 speed manual on this long boi. Also, it comes with basic 80’s safety in the late 90’s; its safety score isn’t actually that bad, mind you, but it still gets a 1 point unrealism penalty for it.

(also... are those BRITISH plates??)

Haha funny patriotism meme

The most glaring issue with this muscle sedan is the brakes, which are not powerful enough to lock (and are slightly rear biased); the other main issue is the use of adaptive dampers, which seem a bit above the Kanna’s pedigree for 1994. Also, Hard tires on a car this sport-oriented?

These issues combine to give the car a 1 point unrealism penalty.

1993 Seneca R200 RS Turbotop

@voiddoesnotknow

You probably can’t see it in the photo, but this hot-hatch-esque car is running a staggered tire setup; the front wheels are 5mm wider than the rear wheels, which is really unusual for this price range. Also, the front brakes are way overpowered compared to front grip, providing a whole 3,500 more Newtons of force than the tire needs to lock. A definite 1-point unrealism penalty, here.

(And wait a minute- is that steering wheel... on the RIGHT?)

more funny patriotism meme

Positive front camber and (slightly rear-biased) brakes that can’t lock is the state we find this premium sedan in, and is the main cause for its 1 point unrealism penalty. Also, this car showcases a lot of turbo lag; it’s certainly not as extreme as the Stockholm’s, but it’s still pretty egregious.

On an unrelated note, there appears to be -4 quality on the engine’s top end; sounds like just enough to qualify it for a 1 point negative-quality penalty.

1991 Saarland Ambrosia ES-24

@Knugcab

And another car whose brakes don’t lock at low speeds (though in this one, the front ones start to above 100mph/160kph). Sure, they aren’t very far behind, but a performance sedan (which even has ABS) should be able to do better, so that’s 1 unrealism point for worn brakes.

On an unrelated note, this was one of the few cars to gamble with premium fuel, so the house takes 1 point from the Ambrosia.

This was one of the few cars to gamble with premium fuel, so the house takes 1 point from the 225PF.

Congratulations to the following cars which managed not to have any point penalties:

*(Side note:)

When I first imported the EHH, I recorded it running positive camber like the Ibis Phoenix, and gave it a 1 point penalty. But now, as I re-imported it to double check, I see 0 camber on both front and rear. I presume, then, that the first import must’ve glitched out, and have removed the penalty

Next up, we’ll try to make up for these lost points, by having Nathan serenade them with cool points. Will the penalized cars be likeable enough to counteract their faults? We’ll have to see…

15 Likes