1995 Letaran Auto Convention (Car of the year 1995, FINISHED!)

EARLIER LETARAN AUTO CONVENTIONS:

For over 20 years, the Letaran Auto Convention had been the major automotive event in Letara. Here, manufacturers have been showing of both the fresh news about to reach the showroom floors, as well as the hottest concepts showcasing what we may be driving around in in the years to come. Now, just days before the opening of the 1995 edition of the LAC, hopes were of course high both among the public and the automotive journalists of Letara. Would this be the place where they were going to encounter the car of their dreams? It was equally exciting for the automobile manufacturers. Would their car win the prestigeous car of the year award? Let’s find out…

General Rules (all production cars)
Shamelessly stolen from @abg7 with some adjustments considering this is 11 years later.

All submissions in any production car categories must follow the rules stated below.

• Tech pool allocation: 25 (engine), 40 (car); maximum tech pool of 8 in any one area.
  • Quality settings are free, but too much of minmaxing will be reflected in the review.
  • Model, trim, and variant years must all be set to 1995, to reflect that this is going to be an all new car model. However, engine family might be older since after all, new cars often inherit older engine designs.
  • Fuel type must be either unleaded (91, 95 or 98 RON) or any form of ethanol blend.
  • A 3-way catalytic converter (either normal or high-flow) and two mufflers will be required.
  • At least 90s safety (any type)
  • All cars must have at least one pair each of headlights (white bulbs and lenses), taillights (red lenses), brake lights (red lenses) and indicators (orange bulbs and/or lenses).
  • All cars must have front (orange) and rear (red) side reflectors; these may be integrated into the headlight and taillight assemblies, respectively.
  • All cars must have a visible third brake light, mounted centrally in the rear, height wise placed above the centerline between the upper edge of the rear bumper and the upper edge of the trunklid (or on hatchbacks, wagons etc. - the lower edge of the rear window. Don’t sweat this too much - if it looks right I will approve it). They can be mounted on aero fixtures (wings, lips, spoilers), as well as inside the rear window.
  • All cars must have a fuel filler cap.
  • All cars must have two mirrors (one each on the driver and passenger sides).
  • All cars must have at least one front windscreen wiper.
  • An interior is not required and not judged, but may be used for flavour text.
  • No race parts of any kind (semi-slick tires, as well as racing headers and intakes).
  • Functional aero fixtures are allowed – you can have positive downforce values at either end of the car (or both, just don’t go too crazy with them.
  • Advanced trim settings may be used, but in moderation.
  • Most mods are allowed, including the Legacy Body Pack. However, legacy bodies are used at your own risk - if a car built on one is broken on import, you have been warned.
  • No V16 engines (I don’t have the requisite key).
Advanced technology

The following items are classified as advanced technology for this year’s LAC:

• Glued aluminium or Light AHS steel chassis
  • Direct injection
  • Electric LSD
  • Sat Nav
  • Advanced 2000s safety
  • Semi active damping

The three production car categories are as follows:
Standard (S): This is where most “regular” cars will fit in, from small city hatchbacks to large family sedans, all priced at a maximum of $30000 AMU. The priorities for this category are as follows:

:star::star::star:
Driveability
Safety
Comfort

:star::star:
Price
Reliability
Emissions
Fuel economy
Service costs

:star:
Practicality
Utility
Styling

Luxury/Performance (R): This is a category reserved for upmarket, luxury, and high-performance cars (including supercars), with a maximum budget of $60,000 AMU. The priorities for this category are as follows:

Sportiness
Prestige
Styling
Comfort

Driveability
Safety

Emissions
Fuel economy
Reliability

Utility (U): This is a new category for 1995. With both SUVs and MPVs increasing in popularity, as well as work vehicles like vans and trucks being judged kind of unfair, this is the category where everything with a price up to $30000 and a body classified as either SUV, People carrier, Van or Pickup truck goes. (Everything above that will end up in the R category no matter what). The priorities for this category are as follows:

Reliability
Utility
Practicality
Price
Offroad
Driveability
Service costs
Fuel economy
Safety
Comfort
Styling

Letaran Car of the Year

Only the top 5 cars from each of the three categories above are eligible for this award. The scoring criteria are as follows:

• Score in original category
  • Styling
  • Uniqueness
  • Emissions
  • Fuel economy
  • Safety
  • Value for money (a car that gives a lot more for a little more money is better than a slightly cheaper car that is subpar in comparision
  • Bonus points for use of any advanced technology (as listed above)

Non-Production Concepts (X)

These cars will not be intended for production, but are meant to draw as large a crowd as possible (hopefully for the right reasons). In this category, design takes precedence over engineering, but the rules are identical to those for the three Production Car categories, with the following exceptions:

Tech pool: 40 (engine), 60 (car), with no limits in any area
Race parts (intake, headers, semi-slick tires) may be used.
Maximum price: $85,000 AMU.
Prestige
Styling
Uniqueness

Sportiness
Comfort

Safety

DEADLINES:
Rules deliberation until noon (CEST) friday 7th of july. Submissions taken until noon (CEST) friday 21st of july.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
Every user might send in a maximum of one car in each category. Files should be named like this:

Standard: LAC - 3S - your forum user name
Luxury/Performance: LAC - 3R - your forum user name
Utility: LAC - 3U - your forum user name
Non-Production: LAC - 3X - your forum user name

A presentation in the thread of the car is of course also needed, the more fleshed out the better.

CHANGELOG:
5th of july: First preliminary rules set up.
Budget caps raised to 30K for standard/utility and 60K for luxury

5 Likes

I’d rather wait for a while, then launch the '95 LAC (using the LHC5 rule set) between LHC5 and LHC6.

If the idea of the auto show is to showcase the cars we would be launching for the next LHC then I’m not sure doing it after the actual round of LHC makes sense

Also if you run the LHC 5 auto show after LHC5 then won’t the LHC6 auto show need to be at the same time.

4 Likes

My idea in that case was to pull it off when LHC5 closed for subs, doing it in the vacuum in between (in the judging/lobbying space) which, IIRC, is what LAC has been doing this far. LAC has this far been held at the last year of the running LHC, so yes, a sneek peek of what will come in the upcoming round. Now, LAC 1984 has already been done, so…and I just saw a space where the next LAC round could be held, even if it was a bit early.

4 Likes

Since most people seems to have voted for doing the 1995 LAC during this summer (for us on the northern hemisphere, at least) and before LHC5, that’s how it will be then. I can’t promise when it will be up, but soon at least.

1 Like

OK, preliminary rules posted, let me know what you think!
EDIT: By mistake I put in the wrong price for luxury category so changed that immediately.

2 Likes

Thanks for adapting my ruleset from the previous LAC for use in the current one - you’ve taken into account all the advanced technologies in development during the 1990s.

2 Likes

So is this convention for cars for Round 6?

1 Like

This is meant to act as a preview for our LHC6 entries.

1 Like

As abg said. Since most people voted to have it fill out the space when LHC is at an hiatus, and since I have some weeks off now, I decided to hold it a bit early. But of course you don’t need to show your actual round 6 contestant here, you can put in another vehicle from your manufacturer if you want to. As long as it is new for 1995.

2 Likes

Some people have said that the sport/luxury price limit is a bit restrictive and I am leaning towards that too…any opinions on that?

2 Likes

I do feel it is a tad too restrictive.

Raised them to 30K for standard/utility, 60K for sport/luxury.

2 Likes

The new OXXRON Ciao Concept
“Discover the future”

1995 Wolfram WSC50

The “Whiskey Fifty”, as it was nicknamed, was a showcase for various advanced technologies that Wolfram had been developing over the past decade.

Among them were a glued aluminum monocoque chassis with aluminum panels, sat-nav, an electronically controlled LSD, direct fuel injection, advanced safety and assistance systems (including electronic stability control), and semi-active damping and sway bars.

With its use of direct injection, the all-alloy V8 underneath the hood of the Whiskey Fifty developed 450 horsepower - enough to propel it to nearly 200 mph, while advanced aerodynamics (including a sculpted undertray) kept it stable and planted at any speed.

Externally, the Whiskey Fifty had smooth, rounded styling that previewed the Wolfhound’s replacement, the Warhawk, and its luxurious interior was finished to a high standard.

1 Like

Just wondering if cargo capacity and max load capacity will be counted or not !

Since those stats are a bit flawed, I will not look too much into them separately, however, they will still affect the most important stats in the U category. So, keep them in mind for a build in the U category, for the others I guess “just don’t make them so low it’s silly” is enough. That’s about what I can say now.

wait i think i submitted a little too early
will my submission be accepted or will i have to resubmit

Nah, I am fine with it.

But it is generally not a good idea to submit entries too early, since the rules can change during that time. Now, it will not affect your car, considering that a raised budget is the only difference, and not even in the class you did submit.

Subs now open!