My car did today pass safety inspection, the first one after 8 years of collecting dust.
This is the story and monthly summary about my first car.
P.s I know I don’t have many pictures i’m sorry
November 2017: The first time seeing the car in person. It was battered and had not been treated well, yet I fell in love with it (no not like that guy wich is sexuall attracted to his car ).
I bought it from my dad’s childhood friend for a reduced prize, 4500 SEK instead of 5000 SEK (roughly about 450 euros instead of 500 euros).
After the purchase it was clear what had to be fixed. The first thing I did was cleaning out the interior with different cleaning products and a vacum-cleaner. The day after it had a regular service with airfilter replacement and an oil change altough it’s crappy “biltema” oil.
Same month I replaced the rear brake pads and adjusted the E-brake cable so it bites a bit more so to say.
During this month I realised that my 850 is very, very, very rare. 97 850’s with AWD and a 5 speed manual are even more rare than the T5-R special models.
December 2017: This and next upcoming 4 months nothing much happend with my car (will explain it later)
Anyways that month I fixed a issue with the fuelcap that made it impossible to close and lock plus some other small issues.
January 2018: New year and new problems
I fixed however a really annoying problem, both bootlid dampers where broken and was inable to hold up the boot so 9/10 times when I was inspecting the rear muffler or the rear lights I got hit in the back by the boot and it doesn’t help that the boot is heavy since my 850 is a estate model
April 2018: Nothing much happend this month, I replaced the front windscreen wipers, the rear brakelines and the bolts for mounting the brakelines (they broke when I tried to remove them )
May 2018: Alot happend this month many lights replaced including the front left headlight bulb and a license-plate light.
Late this month three big things got replaced and EVERY SINGLE PART where placed in inconvenient locations where I could not reach with the required tools
The oil return line where not easy to get to but it was easy to replace, while the engine mount where exact the opposite, it was easy to access but MY GOD it was really annoying to put it in place. Finally the last thing I replaced this month was the front CV-boots. But I have to say it, 850’s has probably the WORST front axle assembly i’ve come across so far in any car. To remove the CV-boot you cannot just “move the old CV-boot away” nope of course you have to cut up the old CV-boot leaving the work area and other components a big mess with the grease it contains. If you manage to get past that bs the next thing is to remove the outer axle but to do that you have to open a special spring washer wich is… you guessed it hidden under the grease with transparency not even existing
After 4 hours of dumb luck I finally managed to remove it and the install process was hilariously easy compared to the bullshit of dissasembly, oh yeah I forgot to mention this this was only the left side, I had to fix the other side aswell… sighs… MOTHERFU…
Okay… rant over, sorry
June 2018 Like I said before today it got passed safety inspection but only bearly, I had to replace the running lights on my own responsibility but it wasn’t a super big safety hazard, it was a easy fix tho, just pull the spring that holds the whole assembly, remove the lid and push the bulb downwards while turning it a quarter of a turn.
Now this is only the beginning like the saying goes “A project car is never finished.” I will (maybe) return with updates when it has passed it’s next milestone…
And that is Nürburgring
Now you might wonder “Why this has it taken me almost 7 months to complete this?”
Well the answer is because of studies. As much as I love cars having a proper education is more important in my opinion, besides having a job with great pay gives a greater chance of affording a high quality turbo and not some ebay bootleg garbage as an example
Also things that still needs to be fixed
-Dampers on all wheels
-Rust repair on the boot
-New wheels and studded tires for winter use
-Replacing turbo gaskets
-Exhaust leak in the rear muffler
-Various interior pieces
-Undertray degreasing and cleaning
-Paint repair and scratch removal
-Driver side’s heated seat
-Quality motor oil
Hope you found this story intresting, feel free to comment anything you want and I hope I can continue this story (unless I get into a burnout 3 crash junction accident or something similar)
Sincerely me :))