1998 Sports Sedan Challenge [Finished, results in]

Ouch, looks like going with manual transmission was a big mistake. :grimacing:

I was salty at myself last race for being eliminated, BUTā€¦

it was for me being horrible at math and not calculating shit properly :upside_down_face:ā€¦ and it was implied.

I feel like maybe it was said on discord(?)ā€¦maybe notā€¦I canā€™t remember.

Not trying to speak for Tom but im almost sure the last thing he wants to be is an asshole.

1 Like

iirc he always does elimination

The elimination was a new, temporary thing for last round; it hasnā€™t been the norm.

I think using eliminations to control an overflow of entrants is a great idea overall, and could probably be adopted long term. But it probably wouldā€™ve made more sense to eliminate the 5 lowest scoring cars instead of the slowest, considering how some of the slowest cars were still very competitive overall (4 of the eliminations placed higher than the fastest car). Yes this isnā€™t the final score, but it feels odd to eliminate cars that are still competitive and keep a load of cars that (unfortunately) arenā€™t.

4 Likes

Exactly this, it does feel a bit odd that Iā€™m eliminated despite being basically halfway up the scoreboard. No salt because fair enough, but it wouldā€™ve been nice to know eliminations were a possibility beforehand, if I knew there would be eliminations I wouldā€™ve made the engine less lore friendly/realistic for Australian stuff at the time and made it a bit stronker.

4 Likes

I agree with that. Eliminating the 5 slowest cars would incentivize people to make cars solely for performance in beam and with less emphasis automation stats (and realism if itā€™s relevant, though that doesnā€™t seem to be the case for this competition)

And yes, it does feel really odd that the slowest cars get eliminated instead of the lowest scoring cars. A good sports sedan isnā€™t all about being fast after all, since the performance also has to be balanced with other factors like comfort and usability. The Infiniti Q45, for example, was a much faster and better-handling car than the Lexus LS400 but Toyota sells far more LS400s than Nissan would ever hope to achieve with the Q45. But in the end, itā€™s up to the host what he wants as long as he informs us of it from the get-go.

Now if youā€™ll excuse me, I shall inject copium directly into my veins and seethe over my elimination

3 Likes

Wellā€¦

I think you had one of the best scoring cars design wiseā€¦

I seen that coming from a mile away.

Peace.

5 Likes

That is valid criticism, but I was not expecting to have this many entries in this competition. 8 of which came in on the last day of submission, by the way, so had we done it 1 day earlier there would have been only 19 cars and likely no eliminations.

I do apologize for the inconveniences but I also try to learn from each challenge to make future challenges more enjoyable for everyone. I wasnā€™t expecting that the bonus points for the Automation stats would for some cars provide over 20 score while others got 5 or less, which is a massive difference. More so than intended. I should have either capped the bonus score or mandated a manual transmission which would have also brought the bonus points to a more reasonable level. But as I said, Iā€™m trying new things and learning for future challenges. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

Tom can correct me if Iā€™m wrong here, but I believe being eliminated here means ā€œeliminated from the racesā€, not ā€œeliminated from the competitionā€? In which case your car is still in with a shot, its just unlikely to have scored a point in races anyway as its 2 seconds slower in the last race than the last point-scoring car, so cutting it out of the races just saves time.

(again not sure if Iā€™m right about this though)

So yes, if you get eliminated, then your car canā€™t participate in any further race. Your car will still be on the spreadsheet but you canā€™t get any further points.

I stand by the decision of eliminating the slowest cars because wellā€¦ if your car is comfortable and easy to drive but itā€™s slow, then it canā€™t be a sports sedan. Not a competitive one, at least. It has to be good at everything, as stated in the OP. Thereā€™s a reason why nobody back in '98 would have considered a Cadillac Seville as a viable alternative to the M5 after all, and that reason is quite simple: itā€™s not fast enough. Donā€™t get me wrong, the Seville sold more units than the M5 but it was bought by a different demographic.

1 Like

Guessing by the lack of bin announcements the ones that are not on the scoreboard are binned?

only valid submissions are on the spreadsheet. Cars that didnā€™t meet the rules arenā€™t shown there. Sorry

4 Likes

Race 2 is about to start! Watch live here: 1998 Sports Sedan Challenge - Race 2/3 - YouTube

Race 2 is over! For those of you who missed it, you can rewatch it here: 1998 Sports Sedan Challenge - Race 2/3 - YouTube

Once again, the 5 slowest cars were eliminated today, and the top positions switched up quite a bit as well, leading to these current overall standings:

ImKaeR is still leading by 6 points. And although Iā€™m certain that LennoxV10ā€™s car will do very well at the Street Course, its chances of overall victory will also depend on how the other cars do. Because if the Megocom wins, which it might, then ImKaeRā€™s car canā€™t come any higher than 7th if Lennox is going to have a chance of overall victory. But we have seen a number of solid performances both in this and the last race, most noteably from TCup and ErenWithPizza, so assuming these two come between Lennox and ImKaeR then there would have to be another 3 cars that rank ahead of ImKaeR for Lennox to have a chance to win. Iā€™d say itā€™s definitely possible, but is it likely? Weā€™ll find out tomorrow.

7 Likes

6 point? that petty far away. Damn I should replace a better engine before I submit. I found that engine last week that is 2.95L V8 make 380hp. Iā€™m look forward it.

Replace?..I donā€™t think we can do that

i know i canā€™t replace right now. Cuz that engine i just found out AFTER i submit.

bruh how have i not been eliminated yet, im too lucky

1 Like

I feel you mayne, Iā€™m shocked that mine is up there hangin with the big dogs.

Tom hit it right on the head as to why I didnā€™t go for an advanced auto smhā€¦I just HAD to have a V10 lol

1 Like

Bro, I was 0:00.070 away from being eliminated