2022 Automation Official Design Competition (Category J Results UP!)

Can we have a progress on the judging?

5 Likes

Judging is complete except for Category X, we have both videos for the firdt three categories almost ready to go, and the fourth in production now. Things will be happening, soon!

16 Likes

Guys, Iā€™ve just received a notification on my smartphone from somebody which tells is Frank Stevenson with a quite suspicious phone number, saying something about my Category J submissionā€¦ If somebody has received a similar thing, I wouldnā€™t recommend to open it because I think it is a scam or something like this

2 Likes

If you donā€™t mind DMing this to me, that would be appreciated.

PLEASE SHARE THIS MOD ITā€™S LIKE THE NEW PLYMOTH PROWLER!

I donā€™t think thatā€™s a mod, it looks like they built that car by hand with 3D fixtures (which is really impressive, props to you mate).

4 Likes

Join us tomorrow at 2 PM EST (8 PM CET) for the premiere of the Category A Finals!

14 Likes

Iā€™ll have to catch the replay (work-work) - but very much looking forward to being inspired. :smiley:

1 Like

Whatā€™s the plan for the rest of the releases again, I seem to have heard once after this itā€™s gonna be one premiere every day or every other dayā€¦? Is that plan still on?

In which case there will be a flurry of activity in the community happening regularly from tonight that I wonā€™t be able to take part in because the videos will premiere at 2AM for me :ā€™)

2 Likes

The plan has changed a little bit; releases will now be every three days, instead of every other day. So Category B will go on Saturday at 1900UTC!

6 Likes

Category A Roundtable

Category A Pre-Judging Scores

14 Likes

Great stuff! Iā€™ll have a longer look at the roundtable, too.
Thrilled to make it to the finals, honestly didnā€™t expect to.

The Cricket was inspired by the original Abarth 695 SS, hence the sporty look. I did plan to make a ā€œregularā€ version to complement it and to submit as a second entrant alongside, but life just didnā€™t leave time.

The paint, honestly, looks horrific and Iā€™m grateful you were as mellow as you were about it. It was intended to be a kind of light beige. Was that way on both of the screens in my house, so I need to look into calibrating them I guess.

Edit: Itā€™s pink in the video on my screen, so it could be something about the photoscenes or graphics settings I use. Iā€™m a little shell shocked by the pink, honestly.

2 Likes

So close to a podium. Well done to everyone in the finals

2 Likes

With one of my entries scoring -9 (as my designs usually doā€¦) and the other a surprisingly solid -3, can you tell me which is which?

(Iā€™d have expected both to score quite similarly, so I guess the -3 is the outlierā€¦)

2 Likes

This one is the entry that scored -3:

How do you differentiate between entries with the same score? It seems like there are so many that scored -3, and the cutoff point seems to go straight between them tooā€¦ how do you sort which ones of the same score got through and which didnā€™t?

1 Like

For this round - and in fact every round in the competition - all of the finalists had pre-judging scores of zero or higher. For Cat A, the cutoff was +1. The way that finalists were chosen was I ranked all the entries by their pre-judging score, then counted down 10 entries; whatever score that entry had became the cutoff, and any entries with that score would be included in the finals.

4 Likes

Ah so you include every entry with the same score tied with the top 10ā€¦ good to know!

2 Likes

I hate to ask but Iā€™m dying to know, Iā€™m guessing my entry was a bit too luxurious / chromed-up for a pre-60ā€™s peopleā€™s car? I just kept on adding to it and wasnā€™t sure when to stop! How (else) could I improve it for any future competitions?

5 Likes

I think a big part of the issue is it just didnā€™t photograph particularly well. Also, itā€™s a bit on the plain side, if I may be honest.

2 Likes