24 hour clunker challenge - FINAL RESULTS!

I allowed for a personalized starting number on the Bogliq, because I didn’t see any reasons why not. If anyone else want it changed I’m willing to do that too.

Could the Shitbox Brothers get the #28 number? :thinking:

3 Likes

LSV Buccaneer DIY Sport

LSV Buccaneer DIY Sport is basically the stock Buccaneer Resto, but the suspension has been tweaked.

I add more text when I get time.

9 Likes

16k is a lot of budget to throw around, but this challenge actually asks for a proper shitbox… I might self impose a limit of about half as much as this and give it a crack haha.

EDIT: @Knugcab are we allowed to change the brakes???

7 Likes

I was thinking a bit like this, that for example an used BMW can be picked up for quite cheap IRL when old enough even though it was expensive as new… But of course, it allows for cars a fair bit over “clunker” level too. I will try to improve rules the next time I hold a competition, it was not really easy doing this for the first time.

Team 4-Aces

A team of four brothers who have come together for their first foray into this sort of race. Each of them has had experience in motorsport before, but none are professionals.

Henry: At 38, he’s the oldest but also the least experienced, only just getting into autokhana and rally 3 years ago.

Dave: The most experienced of the four, he is 36 years old and has been competing in various forms of motorsport since he was racing go-karts at 14.

Will: 32 years old and primarily interested and experienced in drag-racing, he is the most successful of the brothers but also the least comfortable with endurance races.

Trev: At only 23, he is the ‘baby’ of the family, but is the most competent at and knowledgeable of the engineering and mechanics aspects of racing.

Each of the brothers has a collection of cars in various stages of repair and suitability for racing. Unfortunately none of them would compromise and “donate” a vehicle for this competition. Chipping in their money together, they fortuitously managed to obtain a rare 1977 AAAA - V200 GTX, although it was in very poor condition. What spare cash they had left over was used on repairs and freshening up the tired engine, bringing it back into spec. Flaking chrome was covered in black paint wherever it was found, and exhaust and suspension replaced with more sporting versions.

Here’s the entry:

A photo of a restored example in the same “Blue Prince” colour:

7 Likes

I think your budget is fine as it allows for freedom of design choices. My car cost just under 13K so I think maybe a restriction of car types based on age would be more appropriate.

e.g.:

• New cars (2001 - 2008) restricted to supermini and small cars inc. appropriate engine and gearbox for that class
  • 1980’s to 2000 cars to be sedans (2 or 4dr), hatches or wagons w/ appropriate engine and gearbox for era
  • older than 1980 has to be sedan or wagon only w/ appropriate engine and gearbox choice

Then state no supercars, no GT’s or sports cars and you’re golden! A ruleset that allows lots of varied entries but they’re all crap and/or boring!

1 Like

Rip Caliban Thunder Infinity then :cry:

1 Like

And Rip the Duchess

1 Like

My intention was to exclude cars that’d be collectible and thus, IRL, never cheap enough to run in a shitbox rally. My suggestion isn’t perfect but it would keep the field relatively honest!

3 Likes

You asked for a clunker? Well here’s a clunker for you!

A '92 Matteo Miglia Espresso Allegro, but actually the Performante edition, a more popular, but less common trim with the special forged 1.6L turbo engine and the LSD. Hardly the peak of comfortable urban commuting, but a rather chuckable and taut ride in the true tradition of 90s MM. With a base value of barely 8.5k, it fairly redefined cheap fun, and as such, they were frequently wrung thoroughly, which was exactly the intention.

In this case, put it in the hands of some motor idiots and give it the full lean Strop treatment (where the AFR doesn’t change but the turbo sure as hell does), and you have…

Team Flaming Fart Cannon reprise: Dr Strop’s Wild Ride

… it’s about as comfortable as taking a Fakir mat for a ride in a centrifuge. But it corners like it’s on rails and with the output of over 200bhp, and the weight being stripped from 900kg to 780kg, it goes like no car on the budget in the 90s ever had any business doing. This is what Kai wished his shitbox Toyota was capable of doing. Naturally in the name of “team bonding”, notorious Gryphon Gear boost nuts, Kai Kristensen, Sam Neil and Stroppy McHorseguy (in hotly debated order of driving skill), have booked out some of their time in-lieu during a lull in racing seasons, and decided to spend it doing… more racing. Except more casual. And possibly pre-gamed with excessive amounts of cheese. You have been warned.

13 Likes

One small question for the rules. As far as I udnerstood them, you could only remove a muffler compared to your base model. So what’s with the higher power output for some submissions?

My submission is just a less than 16k car in 1983 then simply with interior stripped.

This is actually a question I was hoping to ask. I just heard from somebody else that they’d had a car approved that had the tuning changed but no other components changed.

Frankly it may or may not be in the spirit of competition but it would be very easy to change the tuning of certain things within reason… what would be more concerning is if people threw lore faithfulness out the window and changed their original trim so that the race trim complied with the rules, should the actual restrictions mean that all you could do with the engine was take off a muffler. Which was what I actually did previously, since I made the race tuned engine first. But this does need clarification.

1 Like

1989 Erin Lomaron

The Lomaron as it would have appeared in Brazillian TV ads circa 1989/1990

…er, that’s not an Erin, it’s an early 90s Saminda C5.
Sort of. It’s the Erin Lomaron, one of the cars produced during the Erin-Saminda Partnership years. Most of the engineering was done by Erin, but the car was sold under both brands around the world.

Well it doesn’t really look like an 80s Erin.
Yeah, Erin wanted to go for a more “world car” look as opposed to their design language of the time.

Well whatever the inspiration was, it clearly wasn’t that interesting was it.
No. This really is one plain old looking car.

Is it also plain when it comes to performance?
You bet! Some of the more expensive trims came with inline 6s, but the one we’re entering into this competion is the base-spec EL trim, which came with a 1.8l inline 4 producing 113 hp.

That’s not very luxurious. And that advert says it’s supposed to be ‘luxurious’.
Erin, being British, decided that when it came to selling premium cars in non-Western markets in the late 80s, they could get away with a lot of crap. This is no exception. And what “luxuries” there were have been stripped out in the name of performance.

Has anything else been done ‘in the name of performance’?
Er, not really. This really is as stock as it gets.

Sounds about right for a clunker challenge then.
You bet.

What we have here is a 1991 Erin Lomaron EL 1.8, finished in Polished Leather Black. This one was built at the Saminda plant in Ayutthaya, Thailand before being sent over to Australia and later imported to New Zealand. 148k miles on the clock, a decent service history and pretty much rust-free. It’s lived a good life, though that plucky little i4 engine is showing its age, and the interior could really do with a full re-upholstering.

There’s a pretty extensive back story about this car and the time period it came from, so I’m going to list that here rather than shoving it all into one post because nobody is going to be that interested in all those details apart from me.

Prelude: Erin’s late-70s financial crisis
Erin-Saminda Partnership: Part 1
Erin Saminda Partnership: Part 2 (including more details about the Lomaron)
One of the off-trails of the end of the partnership: Enactor and the Series 1 Estate Roamer

But who is going to be driving this damn thing?

Team ‘Southend Or Bust’

The three Brits who survived the Roulette Runner, Kinda Grand Tour and the Go-West Deathtrap Tour are back in yet another Erin. I’m starting to think there’s a pattern occuring here with what cars they always drive but I can’t work out what it is…

Last time we saw them, they’d just graduated university and had one last summer to make the most of before finally giving in and living in the real world. We’re about 3/4 of a year on from that now…

• James Hurley - 22 year old actually named after the Twin Peaks character by his mother, and not even for a joke. Still your stereotypical CarThrottle fan, only now he’s working as a Market Data Analyst for a business investment firm in London. Has almost saved up enough for his dream BMW 3 series, has a thing for Emma Stone and is the best amateur cook there is.

• Seb Anitolo - 21 year old Spanish guy with a Geography degree that, like most people who take Geography, he has no idea what to do with. He’s been back at home in Guadalajara for a while whilst trying to find a job in Madrid, but it hasn’t been easy so far. Has been known to attract both women and men with his thick black hair, which he keeps perfectly maintained via a kit-bags worth of products.

• Martin Deenham - 22 year old with a not-so-secret love of indie rock, and the only one with proper mechanical experience. Like many post-grad students, he’s currently working as an accountant, because his degree is worth shit all else. Still very, very particular about everything, but he’s managed to end up in a relationship, which James isn’t salty about at all.

Do they have any idea what they’re doing? No! Are they using this as an excuse to get away from dealing with real life and responsibilities? Yes!

20 Likes

Perfectly generic looking! I applaud your beige! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Well, I asked if I could change the octane percentage from the standard vehicle, and the response was that it doesn’t really matter since I couldn’t change anything about the engine except to remove the muffler. That seemed to imply no sports tuning but just using the standard engine.

1 Like

yeah I went back and asked, was a simple misunderstanding.

…I’m going to go and tweak a couple of things now :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

If you are making other requirements for next round what’s about setting the limit of power to 80hp per liter or 75hp per liter?

One thing that I regret now is actually the “two trim” rule, it has been lots of work for me to double check all the trims and for absolutely no good reason at all, since as you say, one could change the standard trim as well to comply with them. I will definitely not run that rule again, at least not in this form.

I was originally gonna go all out, but I think I’m gonna slow down my car a bit so it’s mildly realistic, as much as that pains me to do.