24h - La Marche 1960 [Results]

Yes, definitely!

There is a sports prototype body in 1959 and I chopped the roof off:

Hi Doc! :slight_smile: There are no stupid question and the Tech Pool / Quality system can be confusing. In general, you are right: Just set the Tech Pool to the values given in the rules. The Tech Pool may unlock additional parts such as the semi clad undertray for sports prototypes. Quality is independent of that, and you are free to use any quality setting (except for tires which have an upper limit).

7 Likes

Hey speaking of invisible roofs whatā€™s the most efficient way of attaining that outcome? Usually I just place dozens of transparent cut out patches, but I am wondering if there is a better way.

Unless there is a separate roof paint slot thatā€™s pretty much the only way. Only way to make it easier is use as large pieces as possible

As Der_Bayer confirmed, thereā€™s no reason these couldnā€™t be racedā€”just make sure the wheelbase is long enough. Both those cars had a wheelbase of about 2m in real life so you should be good.

On this topic, it may be worth pointing out that not every car in the sports category had an open top in real life. Many of them were closed, possibly for aerodynamic reasons? Even though you could maybe call them GT cars, they raced in the Sports class because they were not production cars.

What Iā€™ve found seems to indicate that homologation required 100 cars to be produced to meet GT racing standards in 1960.

1 Like

Quick question, how do i private message so i can send the car file? iā€™am very new to automation comunity posts and this is my first time submiting for a challenge

New accounts canā€™t PM at first. Youā€™ll need to passively browse like 5-10 minutes to unlock it.

Once you get it, click on the userā€™s photo/name and select ā€œmessage.ā€

1 Like

thanks mate

1 Like

What numbers you guys are getting for your thermal efficiency index ? Iā€™ve been getting between 0.7-0.8, Iā€™m wondering how I can boost that number without sacrificing RPM and compression, let me know if you have any suggestions.

Iā€™ve got higher than 1.2 since iā€™m chasing it rather than overall victory. Higher compression ratio actually improves that. Another tip i can give you is improving drivebility and reliability since they improve overall race pace without increasing fuel consumption. Also smaller engines will tend to do better than larger ones.

If youā€™re aiming for an overall/class victory, I wouldnā€™t worry too much about ITE. In real life they were pretty different goals.

Kind of nervous about what kind of speeds everyone has their car at :sweat_smile: Super hard to tell if Iā€™m the fastest or the slowest

very true but im looking at how much fuel my car is consuming per lap and for a small motor its consuming ALOT lol

For what itā€™s worth, several real cars were in the 0.7-0.9 range. A Porsche 718 with a 1.6L engine recorded 0.71. D. B. with an 850cc engine recorded 0.86 while a Ferrari with a 3L engine did 0.89.

Of course, that was a wet race and the possibilities in Auto can be pushed a lot further than IRL cars canā€¦ But still, 0.7 isnā€™t unrealistic.

4 Likes

Iā€™m prepping the coupe I made for the twin trim challenge for race use. Almost done, but having trouble with the race number decals. How do you guys make them?

1 Like

Iā€™m getting several different results for US racing colours so idk which colour scheme to use

Also to the Grand Tourers need bumpers?

Step one (optional): Place a circle decal on your car where you want the numbers to go. Scale, colour and position as needed.
Step two: Place an ā€œEditable Textā€ fixture on your car. Just slap it on for now.
Step three: Type the number in the editable text field.
Step four: Align the text as desired.

The problem I am running into is that I have no circle decals. The one under decals is like a quarter circle? And the cutout ones donā€™t act right on this car.

Using that quarter circle fixture, you can duplicate and rotate it to make a full circle. Doesnā€™t look perfect (different shading for each piece) but itā€™s close enough.
I personally donā€™t know of other effective methods: more experienced users probably will.