'93 P74 Crown Victoria (long live the Panther)

Got my Meguires 205 cutting compound and set to cleaning up a few of the offending areas of the mighty Crown Victoria.

This stuff is great!

Driver window, lots of fine scratches from going up and down all these years.

Now almost completely gone, (camera unable to pick up now)

Headlights, getting cloudy. (I cleaned one before I realized I had forgotten to take a before picture, so only the passenger side one is ‘bad’ though the driver side was worse.

After

Obligatory engine picture, pardon the mess, I normally keep the engine bay cleaner, but we just had 2 days of pouring rain, I need to clean the engine bay again.

Not bad for nearly 400,000 miles.

5 Likes

Apparently you’ve never met the Chevrolet 305, which actually is the most anemic V8 ever produced. hahaha

Looks great for being almost 20 years old!

Thanks, I wish Ford used a better paint however, there is no saving it. I may get it re-painted, but not yet.

The fan shroud should say “caution no power here”. Looks great though, how many miles.

Dont disrespect XD the 305, you have to find the non base model 305s, some had 230 hp in the 3rd gen but the base model ones are terrible.

The Olds 307 was way more choked than the 305, but the 2v 4.6 isn’t a bad motor by any means, you see so many ex cop cars still driving, most panther platform NYC taxis have well over 500k miles, and the level of aftermarket support for them is amazing. It’s more the weight of the cars that the 4.6 was asked to move with a low ratio rear end that made it feel underpowered.

I’ve thought of taking off the valve covers, painting them old ford blue, with ‘cast iron’ on the ribs, finding the old engine cover, painting it ‘cast iron’ and having a special decal made for it.

“281 Lo-Po”

[quote=“USDMFTW”]
how many miles.[/quote]

Nearly 400k

Went out with a few pals, did some silly stuff off the pavement, and decided to get a proper picture of the mighty Victoria.

6 Likes

Things were done.

Spark plugs came out.

Emissions tests were passed.

And the hood recived some serious sanding and preping.

Those plugs look good for something that came out of a 400k mile engine. And other than the paint issues, looks like you’ve got a good one on your hands there. Just a regular crown vic, or is it the police interceptor version?

Tis a P73 (Regular sales version)

P72’s are Fleet sales

P71’s are Law Inforcement / Federal

The only difference between the P73 and the others. 3.55:1 rear axle, +1000rpm redline, 140mph Speedo, and steel pistons in the calipers.

[quote=“Lordred”]

The only difference between the P73 and the others. 3.55:1 rear axle, +1000rpm redline, 140mph Speedo, and steel pistons in the calipers.[/quote]

And an insane amount of popularity. I worked a brief stint at a Ford dealer, and we’d buy P71’s at auction. And couldn’t keep them on the lot. They actually sold faster than Honda Civics, F150s, and low-mileage Rangers. And Mazda 5’s… which were also ridiculously popular at the time. Never more than a week on the lot. Not once.

Yep, it is the same out here, everyone wants the P71 “BECAUSE THE POLICE USE IT”

They do not realize that the P73 rides better, it is a whole inch lower, and the 2.77 gears in the back give you great mileage on the highway.

Can’t avoid to think about this video.
youtube.com/watch?v=2uH_X-9fjfI
I’m honestly intrested in drive a Crown Vic at least once in my life.

[quote=“NormanVauxhall”]Can’t avoid to think about this video.
I’m honestly intrested in drive a Crown Vic at least once in my life.[/quote]

top lel.

Thats why I got a P73!

[quote=“NormanVauxhall”]Can’t avoid to think about this video.
I’m honestly intrested in drive a Crown Vic at least once in my life.[/quote]

I worked on setting one up for civilian use. I liked the way it drove. A few issues but being a retired police car with 102,000 will do that.

[quote=“Lordred”]Spark plugs came out.

First thought - there’s not much difference for a before-after photo. Wait, if that’s not a before-after pic what do you need eight plugs for? And then I realised - oh wait, right, it must be 'Murrica, no four bangers there :wink:.

Actually I’d love to drive a police interceptor Crown Vic from the last production batch as my daily commuter, that’s 2011 if I’m not mistaken. A typical sherrif’s unmarked car, something like this, except I’d like it dark grey with a bull bar.

I’d rather have one of these:

Cop front suspension, Mercury Marquis nose with a custom bumper, P71 Rear with custom bumper, Town Car rear suspension, Mustang Mach 1 Motor.

4 Likes

I do love the marauders, I get a smile everytime I see one on the road.

My dad’s is the one in the picture. We travel to quite a few meets around NJ and PA. It has like 27k miles on it and it’s a 2004. I debated on looking for one before I bought my Mustang… but the 5.0 Coyote was too much to pass up.

Dream project is a Intech 4.6 swap. Wont happen though.