ABC S12R1: 60's Budget Family Cars

Automation Beam Championship: Season 12 Round 1
60's Budget Family Cars

-- Deadline for .car file and pictures is the Friday 20th October 10pm UTC --
-- Deadline for recorded laps is the Monday 23th October 10pm UTC --

👉 Round rules

👉 Join our Discord server!

How the championship works & Championship Rules

It is very important you fully read and understand the following document at least once. This explains how the championship works, how points are given out, along with all of the rules we will enforce. Please read this before entering any round this season, even if you have entered previous seasons as we have a few new rules, and also skim read this every round for new rules which will be highlighted in blue.

Please, pay close attention to the full 👉 Championship Rules .

Background to the round

It’s the 1960’s so you literally have nothing to do except taking psychedelic drugs, protesting about the Vietnam war and having children. But, seeing none of the three things mentioned above are a way of making money, your family probably rides around in something sad from Eastern Europe. Or worse: British Leyland. Your street smells like two-stroke oil and the seats of your sadness-mobile are made from the worst tweed you’ve ever touched. The interior consists of one dial and twenty-five ashtrays. Your house is brown. Life is brown. Help.

-- Škoda 1000 MB --

Aesthetics brief

For some reason, the worst cars in the history of the world (cheap family cars from the 60s) are some of the best looking. We all know style is more important than functionality. This is what the designers of these cars were actually doing. Making them look good instead of just making them work. So, that is your job too. Use your weirdest fixtures, open all the cans of off-colour paint with names like ‘far away cactus’ or ‘yellow from China Nr.3’. We want weird, cute and most of all entirely non-functional. But that last point is more pointed at the engineers.

Inspiration cars: VW Type 3, Austin 1100, Škoda 1000 MB, DAF 44, Saab 95/96, Toyota Corona

Scoring for the round

1. Fastest recorded beamng time trial lap time on Ducking and diving on Italy by the team’s driver(s) 👉 Time Trial
  2. Automation score 👉 Calculator
    • Scored stats: Drivability, Comfort, Practicality, Safety, Utility
    • Running cost: Fuel economy, Service cost, Reliability, Environmental resistance (utility), Engine size tax, Drivetrain type
    • Purchase price: Total material cost, Engine PU, Engine ET, Trim PU, Trim ET
  3. The aesthetics vote - each team should submit 2 pictures of their car for aesthetics voting

Automation rules

Full Car (Applies to trim and engine, ET/PU taken from 👉 here )

• Use the 👉 Car Checking Sheet
  • Car trim/engine variant year - 1965
  • Sliders - Must be 0 to 3
  • Techpool - Base value +1
  • Extra techpool - 20
  • Price - Max 10000
  • Safety - Min 25
  • Engineering time - Max 60

Trim

• Chassis type - Only Utility bodies can use LT Monocoque
  • Differential - Must be Open
  • Tyre type - Must be Cross Ply
  • Tyre choice - Must be hard or medium compound
  • Tyre rating - At least M
  • Pad type - Max 50
  • Wings, Spoilers and Lips - Must be none
  • Seats - At least 5 full size
  • Seat rows - Must be 2

Engine

• Race parts (including DCOE) - Must be none
  • Engine stress - Must be none
  • Fuel type - Must be Regular Leaded
  • Ignition Timing Map - Min 0

Final word

If you want to join the championship and discuss your builds (which we - the hosts - are eagerly looking for), please join our Discord server with the following link 👉 Join our Discord server! , where you will find anything you might need such as how to submit, registering your team, finding teammates, posting pictures of your builds, and much much more.

Have a beautiful day.

Sincerely,
ABC Host Team.
6 Likes

This looks very interesting, well thought-out, and well-written. However, ABC as an acronym is already taken - the Automation Buddy Challenge.

This one has existed longer.

Oh. Then that one should’ve been called something else…?

With the use of regular leaded as the baseline, emissions optimization will not be possible (or necessary).

Is it possible to team up? I ask because I’m a pretty bad racer haha

I’m not sure it matters does it? Automation buddy challenge only ran one round.

Just today there was talk of bringing it back; that’s what I thought this as at first.

Of course you can! You will find everything you need on the discord server.

I hadn’t heard about this tbh. As the next host I assume I’d be in the loop on the precedings

Either way this autobeam championship has been around for quite some time and takes preference for the ABC moniker.

what is ‘techpool base value +1’??

edit does the power reliability percent count as engine stress?

what is ‘techpool base value +1’??

You should set all techpool values to “1” (they are “5” by default). You can also spend 20 more techpool points - however, keep in mind that different techpool items cost different amount of points → use Rule checker from the rules for this (Techpool checker is on the third spreadsheet page).

edit does the power reliability percent count as engine stress?

Yes, it does.

Thanks for asking for clarification. But I recommend visiting the discord server for any further inquiries.