Affordable 1970s Sports Car Challenge Part 2: U.S. Federalization Boogaloo

Novice question: how does one measure the tire’s sidewall in-game?

It’s the 65 in P195/65R15 under Parameters in the wheel and tire section.

2 Likes

Thanks, mate.

3 Likes

OK, to increase the variety in builds available, I am abolishing PU limits. PU is highly tied to price, so a high PU is already hurting the car in a top priority; no need to punish high PU options further than the game already does.

That said, I am reducing the ET available in the engine bay to 85, and trim ET to 95.

If there are no further concerns between now and then, I plan on opening the submission window in roughly 10 hours.

3 Likes

Here’s a link to a blog which has an old magazine article about budget sports coupes from 1973.

Information!

Maybe it’ll help with the realism side of the competition, as well as inspiration for your entries, so good luck with your builds everyone! :grin:

9 Likes

Prancing Fox Autos presents the 1970 Vyxen

Photo154

Photo156

Photo155

Gratuitous glamour shot with headlamps retracted.
Photo157

6 Likes

Submissions open now! Submissions will remain open for 8 days, so, June 20th, 1600 UTC.

Submission rules updated.

4 Likes

Presenting a US-style pony car designed for Europe:

The Bazard Tsunami!

Lore & Description, if you're interested.

Europeans and Americans have quite different tastes, needs, and skills, so they generally make very different cars. One of the things Americans have always been better at is making cars very cool; but Americans like cars big, whereas Europeans need them small, so Europeans don’t can’t usually own American cars. But since much of the movies and TV seen in Europe comes out of California, many Europeans have at least seen American cars, and how cool they are. And it’s only logical that some may decide they want such a car, on account of it being so cool.

This was the logic that motivated Bazard to make the Tsunami; A European-sized muscle car (technically a pony car), built in a 1960’s American style, but with some European elements.

“American style” means much of the car was ripped straight from the US; a steel ladder chassis stolen from a Bazard budget car, and a Bazard performance V8 with the end cut off. And what made it European? …It did employ some technologies (radial tires, spoilers, rear sway-bars) that weren’t very common in similarly-priced US cars, but really the only thing that really made it “European” was that it was smaller.

As long as it was compatible with local regulations, the Tsunami went out of it’s way to mimic US regulations, for that extra attempt at realism. For example, notice the use of 5.75 inch sealed beam headlights.

Of course, it received a lot of criticism. It was heavy, horribly inefficient, and used technologies that most Europeans thought of as “outdated.” The sporty tuning setup also made it pretty uncomfortable, and the fact that it was so small made it’s features look somewhat scrunched up and ugly; which are the things Americans usually do well at.

But it did faithfully achieve the core values of a muscle car: very cheap, and very powerful! Despite missing 2 cylinders, its V6 casually put out 151 hp, which is a lot for a 2,200lb (1000kg) car. And real care had been put into the suspension setup, meaning it wasn’t actually that bad in the turns; you did need a fair bit of skill to drive it hard, but it could really perform if handled right! Oh, and all the “outdated” technologies were not only very reliable, but allowed the car to be sold for as little as $12,600! (and they made maintenance cheap, too.)

Bazard advertisements for the Tsunami often showed it alongside more iconic muscle cars of the era. Many times, it was shown racing- or even besting -some of Detroit’s biggest celebrities.

But more than anything, this car was never meant to be fast. It was supposed to be fun. It had crazy (if not good) styling, made a nice noise, and generated smoke on command. inside and out, it used many styling cues leftover from the 60’s, to better match what Europeans could recognize from TV. There was even a vague sort of self-awareness to the cars’ marketing, a tint of sarcasm in its presentation- notice, for example, the recurring nautical theme.

After all, they never promised it would be fast, or comfortable, or even good in any way. They just said it would be awesome!.

4 Likes

Excuse me @donutsnail, I just realised something… Do you want the cars to be submitted as RHD, LHD or submitter’s pick?

You’ll probably say either way is fine, but being realistic requires a captain’s call from you, hahaha! :thinking:

20 Likes

1970 Tiffosi Zero BB

All-new Zero started with Inspiration from europe’s top brands, drawing from innovation premiered in the past few years. Zero BB is the first mid-volume MR sports car, which remains attainable while being aspirational. A boxer 4 engine related to that of Tiffosi’s upcoming Chittai sedan provides smooth power and a low center of gravity. It is officially rated at 105 HP, 0-100 Kph is 8.8 s, topspeed 222 Kph.

5 Likes

I think I’m on the wrong track. Mine might be gigantic compared to the rest lol:

10 Likes

I have a similar sized car in development and actually rejected that body while testing out mules, hahaha!

Fiat 124 would be a perfect fit here, and I think that it was running 2V DOHC.

Either is fine.

2 Likes

Pegas 111 can be yours for just 12000$

5 Likes

I should probably ask: If we choose to make interiors, will they be graded? (For style, I mean)

they are appreciated but not necessary, if you’re not doing a roadster you could get away with no interior

2 Likes

Taube 3000

East German Performance

20 Likes

1970 Branson CS280 Rallye

Lore

In the mid-1960s, Branson began development on a new project- a muscle car. This would be their first wholly new development since 1956, when they debuted the CR2300 sports car, which continued to be a strong seller well into the 1960s, with multiple revisions over it’s lifespan. However, by 1966, Branson started hemorrhaging money due to slow sales and a changing economy, sidelining the development of their newest car. In early 1967, they received a massive cash injection from Voltari, pulling Branson away from the brink of a complete shutdown. This cash injection gave Branson the overhead to return to developing their newest car, now known as the Branson CS, or Coupe Sports. Development was finalized by early 1969, with a full reveal in late 1969 at the London Auto Show. At launch, only two models were available; the CS220, powered by an all-new 2.2 litre inline-4, and the CS250, powered by an new 2.5 litre inline 6. Both were admirable performers, but customers clamored for something new- the 1970 CS280 Rallye. Powered by a 160hp 2.8 litre inline-6, mated to a new, heavier duty 4-speed manual, the CS280 Rallye was capable of reaching 62 miles per hour in 7.6 seconds, and went on to a 136 mile per hour top speed. It was also reasonably cheap, costing only $16,600. This cemented the CS280 Rallye as the new baseline for Branson’s performance vehicles for years to come.

Gallery

20 Likes