AGC26 - Wild Rescue 300 [Result]

AGC26 - Wild Rescue 300
istockphoto-93438314-612x612
Colossal Effort HQ, Tampere, 20.02.2020

About Colossal Effort

A small game studio of auto enthusiasts, they started out making a series of simple mobile games before getting into Real Gaming. Avoiding the saturated racing genre, they look into simulating offroad driving. Previous games Offroad King and Offroad Emperor, saw some success, but reviewers didn’t appreciate the pacing and lack of goals beyond getting from A to B. So they started on Wild Rescue 300. The studio is currently wrestling with the physics, including an airdrop feature. They had some vehicles in mind for the game, but manufacturers balked at the prospect of their shiny offroaders getting stuck as a feature, and bailed. Intern Pekka Vesterinen is tasked with reaching out to alternative manufacturers willing to get their wheels dirty.

The Game

73, cargo 300 acquired, returning to FOB

Your mission is to pick up wounded and stranded people in remote locations in a world where helicopters were never invented*. Realistically simulated maps include snow, desert, mountains, dense forest and bogs. Obstacles like rocks, trees, mud pools, rivers makes actually reading the briefing screen map and planning your route vital. Some terrain may actually impassable regardless of vehicle… Near-death passengers makes for a stressful experience; the first part of the mission is to get to them ASAP. On the return journey, your unseen paramedic partner tends to them, but some need more than oxygen, morphine and a space blanket; they need to get to the actual ER or die, represented by a helth bar. Each time they are jolted our bashed, the bar decreases…

• Realistically physics and human ingenuity dictate the invention of rotary wing aircraft was inevitable. But the CEO hates helicopters after surviving a nasty accident 3 years ago, and it makes the premise of the game slightly more viable…

Trim & Variant Year 1990-2020
We are looking for iconic vehicles well known for braving difficult environments, and old workhorses are thus eligible.
Maximum Cost (Approximate Cost in Detail Stats) $30,000
Should be plenty for a non-unobtanium vehicles financed by tax $ and/or donations.

Tech pool +5 all categories (as default) or less, if you insist/forget.
Quality min/max -3/+3
Let’s just stick with this, it’s ultimately not important.

All drivetrains are allowed…
…but no V16s.
You’ll want to stick to good low-end power, 4x4 and some sort of functional differentials.

2 Full Seats minimum
*The vehicle needs to fit driver + paramedic + prone patient in an enclosed space. *

As see here (ignore hands sticking out)

Body types: SUV predominantly.
Some Pickup, Van, Wagon or People Carrier bodies may fit as well (classifications are sometimes odd) but no donk sedans please.

Advanced Trim Settings are allowed, but beware Realism. Alternative: up to +/- 5 adjustments allowed.

Liveries are welcome, but not required.

Interiors are not mandatory, but having at least a half-decent setup for a driver POV is a plus.

Judging Priorities
starstarstar
Design
Must look cool, and like an actually Credible Offroader. Must be highly visible. We have a generous poly budget for the (few) vehicles, so a high amount of detail is encouraged, accessories (lights, winch etc) included.

Realism
Need to look capable, and with credible engineering solutions. We aren’t looking for monster trucks, but “slightly modified” purchasable vehicles. Don’t max the advanced trim sliders it’ll look silly. If you absolutely want the pain of submitting a (half)tracked vehicle I won’t stop you, but it’s not necessarily the winning ticket.

Offroad
I will be looking at both the ingame score and to some extent realism.

starstar
Bonus points
Good ideas for unique game features, that are “easily” implemented. Pekka would love to present these as “his” ideas.

Comfort
A vehicle moving over terrain at speed isn’t a great place to be while trying to keep a patient alive…or being said patient. Harsh bumps will eat into the patients health bar.

Reliability & Environmental Resistance
While we (probably) won’t include breakdowns in the game, we don’t want unreliable rust buckets.

star
Performance targets
Top speed at least 100 km/h, 0-100 in less than 15 seconds, fuel burn less than 30L/100 km
It’s not a racing game, but anything slower would annoy players and probably be too gutless for offroading. Fuel burn may be a consideration of an Ironman mode.
Exceeding these targets is expected, and will help scoring…to a point.

Usability
A judgement call on how practical the vehicle is as a medevac platform. In part informed by drivabilty score and load capacity. Strongly tied to realism. Lifting a 250 pound stretcher over your head into a monter truck is possible, but not ideal.

Presentation

Submissions
Submit by DM.
Model / Engine Family: AGC26 - ForumUsername
I won’t bin over spaces, but it looks better.
Trim / Engine Variant: Car name / Free

Submissions will open on Sunday, January 29th, at 00:01AM (GMT). Until then, rules deliberation

Submissions will close on Friday, March 3rd, at 11:59PM (GMT)

I will allow ONE resubmission.

Inspirations

Prime examples

Land Rover: This is right on. AFAIK you can’t get blue lights in current version, but that’s ok.

Land Cruiser: Another prime example. Bonus for snorkel. Looks stuck, but that happens in this game - missions failed, skill issue.

Unimog: about as good as it gets for civilian offroad. A big box on a chassis American style ambulance for functionality is allowed, but not required.
Note reasonable wheel size and approach/departure/breakover angles.

Bulldog: It’s big, but should work well. A winch can be handy.
FA112514-Bulldog

Hiace: On the low end for offroad capability (might give bonus xp), would benefit from slightly larger wheels

Maybe a bit too much

Monster truck: Wheels this big would get you stuck between obstacles on most, but not all maps.

Mega Mog: Yes, it’s similar to the above, but that cab is just too big and would not work well with a 3rd person camera.

interesting for inspiration, but not really what we want

(Bombardier) snowmobile: Half tracks give you the best and worst of tracks and wheels.

Zetor bus: for shuttling workers around the factory, apparently trailers weren’t an option. Tractors are pretty good off road though, at least the 4x4s.

Hägglunds Bandvagn: This is more like the vehicle that picks you up when you get stuck. Would probably make the game too easy.
CMO0KhpXAAEBw__

Kamov Sever: the car version of an Ostrich, powered by a helicopter engine. Probably worked well enough in it’s intended flat environment.

Amarok: Contemporary livery. While better than a normal ambulance, it lacks the level of offroad capability needed.

Don't build this abysmal failure

!At this size you’re better off with tracks, like the Kharkovchanka.
The_Antarctic_Snow_Cruiser_emerging_from_its_winter_berth|690x449

Edit: Changed naming convention from AGC25 to AGC26

7 Likes

GO WILD RESCUE GO, THIS WAS GONNA BE MY IDEA IF I EVER WON BUT IM HAPPY IF SOMEONE ELSE DOES IT!

4 Likes

The Democracy Fairy has granted your wish; I’ll update with the challenge outline in the near future.

3 Likes

just checking
is this coming along okay?

2 Likes

This weekend, yes.

3 Likes

You might wanna post a reply announcing that you’re waiting to solidify the rules so you get some feedback, because editing a post doesn’t actually get it on the main page.

1 Like

Good point.
Alright fellas, it’s Roast the Rules Week!

Until it’s reworked or something, avoid using tow/load capacity (they are weird and inconsistent/illogical). Otherwise the rules seem decent. Might be a good idea to explain why you have two very similar vehicles, only with different colors in the inspiration when one is marked as good and the other as bad (second to last Prime example and last one in Maybe a bit too much)

Yep, towing won’t be a factor for the reason you stated. Maybe in a future DLC…
What put theTelemedicine Unimog into the “maybe a bit too much” is the humongous rear cab, especially when seen from other angles. The other Mogs are also borderline, separate box rear is standard for America I guess. Sticking to standard car bodies is more entrant-friendly though?

Anyhow, I’ll put reworking the inspirations on my to-do list, including comments about what works & not about them.

1 Like

Would something like this be allowed? - Taking a van body and turning it into a larger truck

(look at the cab - doors and windshield)

Considering it is fully realistic, and there’s big trucks in the “prime examples” section, but doing so means going well beyond the +/-5 on advanced trim settings.

Interesting, a van body could work as noted before. I don’t the concider the artificial number limit on adv. trim a must-have. I’ll look into it tomorrow.

Alright I’m ditching the “Alternative: up to +/- 5 adjustments allowed” I think.
It’s a PITA to check and puts arbitrary limits on creativity.
To clarify on “realism” a bit: An offroader needs wheel articulation (without the wheels hitting the body) and a reasonable center of gravity. The front wheels need to actually have space to turn as well.

Basically, if your car looks like this consider reconsidering your choices

Question: Since you can’t put just 1 seat in row 2 or 3, I guess sending the car in with the number of seats the base car is supposed to have is OK even if some has to be removed to fit the dummy?

2004 IP BATTALION

With its sturdy body-on-frame construction, roomy cargo and passenger compartment, powerful 5.6 litre V8 and 4x4 with locking differentials, you could have found a worse vehicle to use as a basis than the 2004 IP Battalion. But with larger M/T tyres, lift kit, upgraded cooling and lower axle ratios, this goes even further, literally speaking. If you still get stuck, sand ladders and a winch are there to help you. Since it can get pretty dark at some places, there is a set of offroad lights and a pair of extra backup lights to help you (just remember to take off the covers when driving at night!). In case it gets wet, don’t worry, this baby breathes through a snorkel. A sturdier front bumper and rock sliders will bash small things out of your way. Of course, it also features all the necessary equipment needed for an emergency vehicle, like a visible paintjob and a lightbar.

The medic and driver will of course be sitting in leather seats as comfortable as in any IP Battalion, and due to the long wheelbase, there is no lack of space at all, when some of the unnecessary seats were removed.

All of this for only $21900, which means that this vehicle won’t have to pick up taxpayers getting a heart attack after reading the news.

4 Likes

The Battalion may not be the right choice for leading an actual battalion, but I could see it being operated by lifeguards, police officers, fire chiefs, forestry services, and even VIP transport convoys - with the right modifications, of course.

1 Like

Might want to update the title of the thread, assuming rules are no longer being deliberated and the challenge is fully open.

Oh, I’ll do that and revise.

@Knugcab The lying flat guy replaces two seats. Just treat the number of minimum seats on the interior tab (4 2 or more in whatever configuration), and the 3d dummies as two separate instances.

I just realized the 4-seat requirement blocks some potential bodies, and goes against some of the inspirations.
As you haven’t sent in the car file I’m making the executive dysfunction decision to reduce to 2 seats required.
One still needs to fit both 2 seated and at least 1 prone guy inside the vehicle.

1 Like

So, doing what I did is OK? The car is a 7 seater (3 seats in the second row), but in the challenge trim, I have removed the seat fixtures for the last row, and two of the seat fixtures for the second row, so the car has the stats of a 7 seater but is now modelled with 3 seats. The dummy can fit where the seats are removed.

1 Like

Yes, the Battalion is definitely within the rules and scope of the challenge. Technically you don’t need the stats 7-seats, but you do you.

Nah, they were just there in the civilian version, so they stayed because of that… :smiley:

2 Likes