ARBC 2 [Finished, reviews out]

“It would be nice if the angle of the daytime running lights were changed.”

I agree with that statement as well

Lóngrén Ránshāo GT6
Does the world need a very slightly sportier CN6? Is it even close to as good looking? Don’t know, don’t care, there’s shareholder money Venture Capital to burninate!

It’s slightly lower, firmer and quicker than the CN6, but you won’t ever tell in a double blind test.

Inspired by horned long dragons.

4 Likes

From The Huron Group
By Great Lakes Design

9 Likes

Alright, submissions are closed.
@DrDoomD1scord your ad is missing, you have until midnight to post it.

2 Likes

The Monarch B900E

Elegance, Refinement, and Beauty. All in One Package.

Summary

5 Likes

Reviews

Chongqing HQ

After some delays, the time has come for the Chongqing board to convene and discuss badge engineering proposals from other companies.

Auburn Antimony

A very grounded and down-to-earth design, yet very modern, stylish and detailed. Great surfacing in both front and rear fascias, all without clashing with the established bodywork. Not really any negative comments here, it looks great and is cohesive.

As far as the interior goes, changes are minimal - basically limited to a different choice of materials and colours. While it might keep manufacturing costs down, it would have been great for it to have its own identity on the inside as well as the outside.

Kotatsu Lantern

A very bold and sharp design proposal, with ultra-modern features and elements. It is ultimately led down by a couple of details, like the sad-looking DRLs up front, or the huge lower taillights, which clash with the rest of the design and are mostly useless (seemingly, the parts that actually light up are tiny compared to the amount of space the whole things take).

Where this entry shines (literally) is on the inside. The addition of a bold ambient lighting signature, the thin gauge cluster, symmetrical passenger display and floating infotainment give this interior its own, modern and aesthetically pleasing identity. The only negative inside is the seat ribbing, which doesn’t really look like its from this era.

Lóngrén Ránshāo GT6

A very interesting lighting signature, mirrored front-to-back, gives this design a very clear and distinctive identity, though the implementation of design features isn’t the greatest. The use of almost exclusively vanilla premade fixtures lets it down a bit, especially as you move down from the lights into the front grille, or rear plateholder.

The interior is also short of greatness, having only changed some materials, may i say somewhat poorly - the front seat surface clips through another fixture which is a different colour, and the rainbow vomit gamer rear screens don’t really fit the luxury aesthetic, however sportier the car might be.

Superior SP6

A much more modern, even futuristic take on the big luxury sedan. Very lean and simple, yet distinctive and stylish. Especially great is the thin, wide lightbar, which when combined with the separate headlamps and blanked out upper grille results in an almost EV look. Overall there are no negatives about the front end, though the rear might be a different story.

Though there isn’t really anything wrong with the design - it’s actually great and very cohesive with the front end and the original design - what isn’t so good is the treatment of the highlighted area. Though basically every single entry (even my example) missed the mark by a tiny bit, this one misses it completely. The way this is constructed, it would require a new stamping on a really large piece of metal, which isn’t really the point. Maybe a small seam piece or dogtape or something to signify the separation of the quarter panel and rear bumper would have gone a long way.

Going back to positives, the changes made to the interior are great, tying in the ethos of the exterior design, with a thin and wide end-to-end display a la Lincoln Zephyr. The choice of materials and the new steering wheel also help make it feel sportier than the original, just like the exterior design does.

Monarch B900E

This entry is very similar in spirit to the Antimony - a simple, fresh and elegant design for a luxurious sedan. This is also the only design that does something different with the bonnet, with new, straighter character lines that emphasize the premium look. While it does look great, and feels very luxurious, the execution of the surfacing and body moulding doesn’t quite wow, especially in the rear end, where the hoodscoop pieces don’t really feel like they belong.

The inside is also quite pared back, with new materials and shapes in the seats, doors and dashboard trim. It keeps a real high-luxury feel, though it doesn’t do too much to differentiate itself from the original.

Final Results

5.- Lóngrén Ránshāo GT6, by @Ludvig

4.- Monarch B900E, by @DrDoomD1scord

3.- Kotatsu Lantern, by @azkaalfafa

2.- Superior SP6, by @OT_motive

1.- Auburn Antimony, by @nate21

Congratulations to the winner and thanks to everyone for participating, even if there were some unexpected delays.

8 Likes

Yeah, that’s one flaw of the design language I adopted that I noticed, had to turn up the light brightness for that one (forgot to do this for the photos lol)

Anyways congrats to Nate for the win! And thanks for hosting, really pleased to see this challenge continue

2 Likes

@nate21 are you hosting or passing on?

Sorry I completely forgot about this, I will pass on the challenge since I have no clue what I’m doing

I’m also not able to make an adequate enough interior to make the challenge fully involved

2 Likes

alright then, are you up for hosting @OT_motive ?

I’m gonna post here since the discord channel seems busy; I am, in fact, currently working on a car for this challenge, in case no one else’s able to continue. Can I have 3 days to confirm whether or not I’ll be able to host the next round?

4 Likes

I think that’s fair, and I also decided that I will try to make a car that would be suitable as a base just in case I do end up hosting

Ill just wait out and be the last resort to keep the challenge going if no one else is able to.

2 Likes

yeah, this seems like the best way forward, take as long as you need

Right, some sudden setbacks with my schedule, but it does look like I’ll be able to host this time around. Might need some more time though…

1 Like

I think that’s fine

Phew, took me long enough: ARBC 3 [Discussion]

2 Likes