Are there any significant advantages to V8F over V8X?

In real life V8F can rev higher due to the lighter crankshaft (AFAIK), but in Automation (at the moment), V8F cranks don’t seem to have higher RPM tolerance. V8F only seems to increase power a tiny amount and reduces crank (and thus engine) weight a small amount, at the trade off of substantially less smoothness and slightly higher PU cost.

My question is, does V8F have some hidden advantage that isn’t directly represented? The only thing I can think of is that the ‘tech expertise’ system will mean someone who designs a lot of other flat-plane crank engines will be able to design V8F more cheaply, and that maybe the CoG of the engine (if/when that is modelled) will be lower. I guess the racing exhaust will be lighter and more compact as well when (?) V8F gets its own exhaust instead of the bundle of snakes. Will it be the case in the final game that V8F will have near negligible performance advantages to V8X?

Exhaust scavenge. Can’t explain much right know, but look it up, that should give you an idea of why flatplane is slightly more efficient.

I’m familiar with even firing offering better scavenging, but I’m talking about the game where this effect seems to be negligible. Is it physically accurate that the crankshaft has no higher RPM tolerance?

The only difference in game really is smoothness vs. power, where only the race exhaust setup for the V8XP brings it to equal performance with the V8FP.

Why is a flatplane better? Acoustics. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Well yes :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Noooo! There aren’t much engines sounding better than a crossplane V8 :wink: (and these include I5s and some V12s)

Buuut maybe let’s don’t turn this thread into a shitstorm about it :smile:

Chevy XP V8’s '70 - '90:s , sounds like they have been taken from a underpowered fishingboat.:grin:

1 Like

V10 all day, every day.

Just to cause an argument. :smiling_imp:

Make no mistake, I loooooove the Chevrolet crossplane engines (Proud owner of a 454 here). But a crossplane V8 is common, I don’t get to hear too many Ferraris in my day to day. Thus, I appreciate the acoustics of a flatplane.

Yes… but not the viper V10, for some reason it sounds bleak (at least in video).

Well, in Poland any V8 is quite uncommon, and I just don’t like nearly everything about Ferrari, so… :smiley:
But I’m using flatplane V8s in my Automation company anyway, because of lore of being mostly Italian :slight_smile:

Audi , BMW, Ford and Lamborghini V10 all have the same ignition sequence.
Dodge has one bank at 180 deg from the other manufacturers.
Per bank they all have the same. 1-5-2-3-4.
Audi, Fiat, Volvo (ford) I5 seems that all have 1-2-4-5-3.

Just as a clarification: acoustics in engine design refer more to the physical concept of acoustics, i.e. resonances / harmonics, etc. V8FPs are superior to V8XP in that regard, hence:

Why is a flatplane better? Acoustics. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well yes :stuck_out_tongue:

Engine sound is subjective, acoustics are not.

2 Likes

Good to know. It seems that making an engine work is very easy, but making an engine work GOOD… that’s a very different, hard thing :slight_smile:

Does this mean V8F will have more pronounced performance advantage when the rework of the engine modelling goes through, particularly when not using a race exhaust?

Its not a direct performance gain. FP allows for perfect exhuast scavenging but induces far more vibration ( less smoothness in game )

No, probably not. The size of the effect will be about as strong as it is now. The exhausts do behave differently in current Automation as well.

Yeah, they’re kinda cool in-car because they’re so obnoxious (Don’t own one, got to race one at a Chrysler track event a while back), but they definitely don’t sound like a V10. I’m not certain, but I would presume it’s because they’re based primarily on the LA-series V8, they weren’t designed from the ground-up as a V10.[quote=“szafirowy01, post:11, topic:19083, full:true”]
Well, in Poland any V8 is quite uncommon, and I just don’t like nearly everything about Ferrari, so… :smiley:
But I’m using flatplane V8s in my Automation company anyway, because of lore of being mostly Italian :slight_smile:
[/quote]
Oh, that’s totally fair! Here in Canada, there’s a LOT of V8-powered pickups, so I’ve definitely gotten used to the sound. Vancouver is only a hop and a skip from me, so if I go there during nice weather (Rare) I get to enjoy more exotic vehicles, such as Lamborghinis and Ferraris (Both ostensibly driven by rich students who just got their Novice License).

It’s not just a question of being based on a V8, otherwise the Triton V10 wouldn’t sound like a lambo with the right exhaust.

The viper uses a 90 degree angle and a common pin crank, so they have to use an uneven firing order.

If you want an even 72 degree firing angle with a V10 you have two choices.

You either use a 72 degree bank angle, like the lotus LFA. The disadvantage being you can’t base your design off a V8.

Or you use a 90 degree bank angle with a split pin crank, like Lamborghini, Audi, Porsche and Ford.

Long live the Modular ford v10!!!

1 Like