[ARM] Automation RestoMod Chapter 16: Soul on Fire [CONCLUSION]

Is it just a matter of too many fixtures, even on the smaller one?

1 Like

I’ll be totally honest, I dislike the base car file. You need to manually remove a shit ton of rust, “broken” fixtures, and serious negative quality on every single part to properly start your modification process. I know what was meant by this (lol bad owners thrashed beautiful classic car), and it’s a poignant illustration piece, but the competition is about making a restomod of the car. Please give us a car that, even if you keep and insist on the fixture clutter, has the actual original specs and not just “lol -7 to -15 quality on everything”.

I get your intent, as you said, push creativity. But to push the creativity of the contestants, you need to give your creativity a rest. I guarantee you most car files you’ll receive will have upwards of 150 KB of mods anyway, even if you were to just give us the blank body to mod.

EDIT: Scratch that, the visual clutter needs to go to. Not only is the body itself so heavily distorted that you need to delete or replace dozens of fixtures just to return to square one, but there are also so many materials and colors that you can’t see your own ones.

4 Likes

I actually can’t get the engine to fit in the body. Is that what others are getting?

1 Like

So I’m looking at this for the second time, and am wondering what the priorities are? Seems like a complete free for all, design what you will. But how will that be judged, what are the criteria? Aside from meeting the basic rules to avoid a bin, there is basically nothing to go on what to even remotely aim for. Right now I feel like it’s a complete shot in the dark what we should prioritize both in terms of design and engineering choices. Don’t get me wrong, I think this would be a fun build - but in terms of a challenge, I am not sure what that is.

Also took a look at the car the engineering choices. I think the base ruleset is good. It’s been pretty easy to make it into a pure restoration, a restomod with either a sporty nature, or offroad/rally nature, or luxury/cruiser nature. So in that sense, it should allow for quite a variety - but yea, some guidance or priorities would be nice as I said above.

But going back to the car itself, like Texas said, it is very cumbersome to have to individually change dozens of fixtures from old plastic or rust paint. A fantastic looking creation does not automatically make a good base car for a challenge to work from.

I know we seem a bit critical, but we all want to make sure that this is a successful round and that you also have the satisfaction of many entries to review. Having gone down the path myself with difficult to work with base cars before, it doesn’t work. We all have to set personal pride in our creations aside, and think of what makes a good base car for a challenge instead.

1 Like

Cake being the original host for the first ARM, I’ll reiterate what they’ve put there and Texaslav’s issues.

1 Like

There, I’ve updated the two car models on offer.
The second one should be now up to the task.
If there is more backlash to be had (I hope not), please find a different host.
@Knugcab

I’ll give this challenge two more hours. If there are no more remarks or suggestions, then we can set the deadlines and begin the darn thing :slight_smile:

SUBMISSIONS OPEN

Make sure that you post some sort of photograph or two or three of your car on this thread so that Valentino becomes intrigued. :slight_smile:

DM me your car file here on discourse

Submissions Starting:

June 22nd 2022 12:00 CET

Submissions Ending:

July 6th 2022 12:00 CET

3 Likes

Is it me or does that seem like a very short run of time? The QFC round I’m hosting is about that short. Thoughts?

I’m still having issues getting the original engine under the hood, as well.

2 Likes

Two weeks is normal for ARM, and is the recommended period in the guidelines.

3 Likes

14 days or two weeks.

As far as engine is concerned, Alfa had the bulge on the hood to fit taller engines. In rules you get two advanced axis to modify engine position. It should help :slight_smile:

Thanks on both of those

1 Like

No problem bud! I realized that might be an issue. It is in Automation as it was in real life, which is pretty awesome :smiley:

Sorry to be late,
but upon popular demand I’ve decided to allow:

ADVANCED CAR TRIM AESTHETIC SETTING change to include
Wheel Offset for 2000 AMU penalty.

However, if you have chosen
PANEL MATERIAL swap with the 4000 AMU penalty, Wheel Offset becomes a free option

Mons Customs with Mons Racing

introducing

Alfa Romeo GTV6

Dear Mr. Babooni,

Please accept this letter as our formal offer to restomod your beloved '85 Alfa Romeo GTV6. We understand that you’re a seasoned track driver that needs a second weekend toy, something fun to drive that complements your current car line-up. We have made every attempt to address your needs and desires with this restomod. Considering that you already have something comfortable for daily use, and something for the paved track, we decided to build something special: a car that would be fun for some light offroading and ripping up a dirt track. In short: a very capable, Group B inspired car with modern conveniences that will be a pleasure to drive even after the paved road ends.

STYLING AND FEATURES

The outside of the car remains quintessential GTV6; there is no mistaking what car this is. However, it received many upgrades and changes, both aesthetic and functional. Lighting is swapped for modern LED bulbs front and rear. For maximum visibility, we add auxiliary reflectors for your nighttime off-road excursions. The hood bulge, so characteristic of the Alfa, is replaced by a functional scoop that provides ample air to the performance-enhanced Busso engine. We added subtle venting for enhanced brake cooling in the front fascia and on the sides. Other additions to enhance the car’s appearance include the Alfa clover leaf above the side indicators and the Italian flag on the side skirt. The car features an aggressive red-black colour scheme that signifies its Italian race pedigree.

The inside of the car features two race bucket seats in red-black stitch leather for that sporty appearance. The steering wheel is from the original Alfa, but re-wrapped in red leather. The original instrument cluster behind the wheel is fully functional and restored to factory spec - but you’ll see there is an electric connection built in! Yes, we include a removable race-dash on top of the original - so you get two dashes in one!

PERFORMANCE AND FUNCTIONALITY

Looking under the hood, we bored the engine to its full 3.5L capacity potential and added a stock Busso DOHC4 head. The internals are swapped for more modern forged components. Mons Racing managed to tune the engine to over 380 hp, yet keep it clean and relatively quiet - despite the race-y engine notes, you will not go deaf in this machine. To keep this power tamed and easy to drive, the car’s drivetrain is swapped to a modern AWD system with LSD. You have full control over gear shifting through a 7-spd DCT that can be operated with steering wheel mounted paddles or a more traditional floor-mounted throw shifter reminiscent or rally racers - or put into full automatic mode if you feel like a leisurely cruise. Speaking of rally racing, we have installed a full roll cage in case the unthinkable happens and added external shut-off valves on the driver’s side. The car now features hight-adjustable hydropneumatic suspension, so you can raise it for off-road use or lower it for normal on-road driving. The suspension system also has a quick-fill inlet on the driver’s side to top off with nitrogen if needed. For added peace of mind, we also supply two full-size spare tires mounted in a specially designed holder in the trunk of the car - never be left in the dirt when far from home! For ease of access, we also made the rear window a quick-remove latch system.

On the inside, the new HUD system will allow you to keep your eye on the road (not that we’re not proud of the modular dash system)! The car also features advanced climate comfort system with individually adjustable temperature zones. The lower dash features a built-in touchscreen with all the modern entertainment and connectivity you will ever need. Last but not least, the car features all modern electronic aids a driver would want: ABS, TC, ESC, LC, and a computer-controlled adjustable suspension system with offroad, road, race, and comfort presets. All of these systems can be turned on with the push of a button, or off if you prefer a more analogue driving feel.

Mr. Babooni, I hope you find our proposal intriguing, and we at Mons Customs look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Mons Customs

12 Likes

Does Layers of Time come included in this amazing looking offer?

2 Likes
TreadKillers presents:

TreadKillers AutoStrada Collection:

A mix of 80's racing, Synthwave music and modern touches.
12 Likes

Well, this is two more than I was expecting :smiley:
Good work. It is giving me a somewhat 20% F40 vibe

1 Like

What do you mean by that. This?

Because that does not correlate to either Engine Trim Emission

nor Car Trim Emission (Testing Tab/Detail Stats)

I think it is a consumption-related figure in the Summary page.