[ARM] Chapter 26: Forward to the past (finished)

General ARM rules
Previous round

…somewhere, in a fictional country…

Let’s move forward… to the past!

BACKGROUND

The year is 1989. In a fictional country there is a fictional and legendary racetrack that first hosted a race in 1959. The track has hosted numerous racing series during its existence, including grand touring, endurance, formula, and autocross events. The track features a long outer tarmac and a shorter inner dirt section used for specific events only. After many years of hard use and a few alterations to the lay-out, it was time to redesign and renovate the track again in the mid ‘80s. This necessitated a small hiatus from racing, but the circuit was ready to host its come-back race for its 30th anniversary. What better way to celebrate this momentous occasion than a special safety car to lead the drivers’ parade and be used during the race? The organizers thought long and hard what kind of car should lead the proceedings. They settled on the idea to take a classic car and restomod it to suit the modern racing needs.

THE CAR

For this ARM you will work with a 1959 Collis Celer GT-R. Collis is a fictional brand in my line-up of brands, so there is no real-world connection here. The Celer models are sporty yet luxurious GT style cruisers, and this is a historic one as it is the first Celer model to hit the mass markets. The GT-R Deluxe version was the most prestigious version of the Celer. Here you are provided with a mint ‘survifor’ car with numbers matching engine, headers, gearbox, and original paint still intact. While not the rarest of cars in existence, the authenticity of this particular car cannot be understated.

ARM26_-YOURNAMEHERE-_Collis_Celer_mk1_GT-R.car|attachment (85.0 KB)

PRIORITIES

The client’s representative, Lawrence H. Clifford, put out this statement:

“We are requesting proposals for restomods of the provided 1959 Collis Celer GT-R. The restomodded car will be used as a pace/safety car during the 30th anniversary race. The car should be functional as a modern safety car (think speed, safety, handling, reliability), but also be eye-catching for media events (general appearance, livery). We want the car to remain true to its classic roots, so authenticity will also be important. A list of hard requirements will be provided in a separate communique. We look forward to your vision - the best one will be contracted for this prestigious event!”

HOW THIS WORKS
  • Download the car file (link under the picture above).
  • Import the car into Automation.
  • Clone both the CAR MODEL and ENGINE FAMILY (now it’s a single button):
  • Open the cloned car model.
  • Forward year on both car model and engine family to 1989* (NOTE: This is different from previous ARM rounds).
    *Alternatively, you can start with a new engine project altogether; see costs below.
  • Set the names according to this standard:

Engine Family: ARM26 – [forum name]
Engine Variant: [engine name]
Car Model: ARM26 – [forum name]
Car Trim: [car name]

• Start modding.
  • When finished, export car and PM your cloned and modded .car file back to me.
  • Sit back and wait for results.

RULES

Basic rules:

• I will reiterate it here: this round’s car (both family and model) has to be set to 1989.
  • Max price: $40,000 AMU
  • Max SVC: $1,800 AMU
  • Tech pool: already to set to max; don’t touch!
  • Original chassis type and chassis material must be used.
  • Original trim body type must be used.
  • Unleaded 98 RON or Ethanol Blend E70 106 RON fuel must be used.
  • Quality sliders are free to use.
  • Keep engine noise under 60 units.
  • Must use a catalytic converter.
  • Minimum safety of 40 units.
  • Aero fixtures may be used and must be realistically attached to the car (no floating or hidden fixtures).
  • Maximum aerodynamic down-force is 5 kg on both the front and read axle (for a total of maximum 10 kg for the car). To clarify: this is the info from the trim testing/track tab which measures the force at 200 km/h, NOT from the value at top speed in the downforce graph in the aero tab. The two may differ, depending on your top speed.
  • Luxury CD player MUST be used (this to simulate the weight and cost of the radio-comms equipment in safety cars).
  • Two full-size front seats are required. Rear seats are optional.
  • Interiors will be judged. You’re encouraged to rip out the old and put in a modern (by 1989 standards) safety car interior.

Appearance:

• Once more reiterating: you’re designing a restomod for 1989. So choose era appropriate fixtures (LED bars will get frowned upon)… Vastly unrealistic design choices will get docked.
  • Must have functional lights, including:
    • Headlights
    • Tail lights
    • Turn indicators front and rear
    • Auxiliary reflectors on the front (2x)
    • Rooftop beacon with green, yellow, and red flashing lights visible from the rear of the car
  • Windshield wipers
  • Mirrors
  • Paint/livery with high-vis characteristics (but keep it realistic - this is 1989!).

Additional costs:

• Engine head swap: $1,000 AMU
  • Full engine swap: $3,000 AMU
  • Morphs can be changed, but will incur a blanket $1,000 AMU.
  • Advanced trim settings will incur a blanket $1,000 AMU.

Advanced trim settings (C/P from the previous round, thanks @AMuteCrypt):

• Where an effect can be accomplished via engineering (i.e. without use of advanced trim settings), you may not use advanced trim settings to do this. That includes:
    • Wheel diameter, wheel width, camber
    • Tyre diameter, tread width
    • Ride Height except where both values add to zero (i.e. squatting a car with +5 front and -5 rear is fine, squatting with +10 front and 0 rear is not).
    • Chassis track width
      For clarification, if you’ve maxed out the engineering and want to go even further (massive wheels, super ride height, etc), the previous rule does not apply as you can’t use engineering there. You should still push the engineering as far as you can first, and get as close as you can.
      Wheelbase offset should remain reasonable.

Private questions:

After rules deliberation ends you may submit up to two private questions to Lawrence. Practically this means: send me a DM with your questions. Note that response times may vary based on my availability, but will try to get back to you as soon as possible.

TIMELINE

Rules deliberation will be open until 8 PM EST September 7.

Submission deadline is tentative given the anticipated release of the new open beta. Whether submissions will be in stable or open beta will also depend on when exactly the update drops. So with that, the tentative deadline for submissions on the stable version is:

8 PM EST September 23.

If this date changes then you will get ample notice.

12 Likes

That Car reminds me of a Lancia Aurelia

IIRC this is the first ARM not to be set in the present day, instead taking place in 1989

Is changing piston material allowed? I don’t know much about car mechanicing so idk if that would be really hard or not haha

It is an easy job, you just buy new pistons and replaces the old ones,any mechanic could do it.

Yes, changing pistons is allowed and does not incur extra costs above what the game already gives.

omg I’m just about finished engineering but I don’t want to change the car looks at all it already looks super cool!

1 Like

So just for clarification, we are required to switch to two seats? Since the base car is a 2+2, would leaving that stock be forbidden? Or should 2 seats be the minimum?

Two seats minimum required. So you may rip out the rear +2 if you want, but you may leave them. I will clarify in the OP.

What I will say is… whatever you do, have your interior detailing match the engineering choices.

Change-log:

• Added a rule clarification regarding aero down-force. I’ll be looking at the trim testing - test track tab which measures the down-force at 200 km/h. I will NOT be looking at the down-force at top speed in the aero tab.

• Added a rule clarification in the design/aesthetics ruleset to remind people that you’re designing a restomod for 1989… so be reasonable in fixture selection.

Given that this is a pace/show car, would a 3D interior make any difference?

From the rules:

Interiors have been an integral part of most ARM rounds (certainly mine) from the start; this will be no exception :slight_smile:

Might be the kind of thing intended for DM, but seems like fairly vital information so I figured I’d ask here first for eveyone. Have the organizers decided what type of race the inaugural race on the redesigned circuit will be? If the brief is to be functional as a modern safety car, it would be nice to know what kind of event’s safety one should be keeping in mind, especially since it seems rallycross is not out of the question. If you meant to intentionally keep the answer to that behind DMs, that makes sense too, just thought I’d give your ctrl, c, and v keys a chance at life in case you forgot or didn’t think to add it. Thanks for hosting!

That is a good public question! The track did host rallycross type races in the past, but the big event will be a GT/Endurance style event on smooth tarmac.

I dont know if its just me? but I dont have Catalytic convertes available at TP +3 and 1989. Using original engine block.

That’s probably because you still have it set to leaded gas, since that eliminates the choice of a cat.

3 Likes

That it was! thanks.

1989 Lightning Garage Celer GT-R

This is our vision for the Celer GT-R Safety Car.

AS the Celer is a good, solid car for its time, our goal is to keep and restore as many original parts as possible. The restored origianl suspension is fitted with stiffer and lower springs and shocks, paired with modern rims and tyres.

We will keep the original engine block but fit new internals, the head will be replaced with a new 24 valve aluminium unit fitted with VVT technology allowing the engine to reach 8000 rpm. Last but not least we will fit a turbo and intercooler, the result is an engine that gives 319 hp at 7000 rpm and 385 Nm of torque at 5000 rpm.

Gallery

Stats

Clip

This is an earlier version, I decided to skip the gold trim, and of course the LED lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYr_Q4rky0o

6 Likes

To what extent does authenticity matter?

Let me quote the OP: