Automation Engineers Championship | Waiting on Round 5

Can I (be a douche and) compete but NOT host a rund (if I win ofc)?

24 Hours Left To Enter. Entries Close At 21:00 BST.
So Far I have entries from:

@JohnWaldock
@gridghost
@Lastgameking
@HighOctaneLove

Please remember to submit an ad on this thread before the deadline and make sure to use the engine provided in the round rules post above.

On a final note, the creator of the fastest car will be asked to host the next round. If they are not available to then the responsibility will be handed down to the runner up.

@darkpino Yeah only Kee engine.

Smooth Minisun SR

For $8800 + tax you can lap Zolder in 2:0X:79. Oh and you should be extremely tiny because there is no room what so ever inside the cockpit.

4 Likes

Entries are closed
Results are in

For the first round we have had 5 entries from 5 prominent companies. Their engineers have taken our crate engine and created a thoroughbred track machines to race around Zolder.

Our team has tested each and every car around the track and have timed the best lap. Each car has also been checked against our regulations and with varied results we have collected the following data:

@gridghost Scarab - They presented the Aurora Proto. It set a reasonable time of 2.04.66 around the Zolder track and had a modern approach with it’s aerodynamic body and precision downforce. It’s lightweight design meant for a great track performance. It also had great exterior designing which turned the heads of our testing department.

@HighOctaneLove Bogliq - They presented the Dolphin 1800GT which set a lap of 2.06.53 around the track. With styling of the last decade it certain didn’t look at modern as the likes of Scarab, but it still stood up to the modern competition with it’s sleek lines and dual exhaust.

@Lastgameking SPE - They presented the T-150F, setting a lap of 2.05.66 it certainly wasn’t slow, however with 1940’s heavy steel and a rear engine layout it was a bit of a handful to drive according to our test driver. Also it suffered from a peculiar issue with the rear wheels where they petruded from the bodywork which raised tire wear, but even so it surprisingly wasn’t that slow.

@JohnWaldock JHW - These guys presented the 1800X which had the feel of an old saab but had a perky transmission and plenty of downforce, It set a lap of 2.05.91 and had moderate downforce. It also had a pleasant interior with plenty of room and came to us in a stunning white finish. One of our team n particular stuck with the car and even sent through an order for one.

@AirJordan Smooth - Finally for the Minisun SR, this set a lap of 2.00.73 which was the best of all entries. This was thanks to a small body and stiff chassis design. The Smooth engineers must be proud. However it required a rather small driver thanks to a minuscule cockpit. This meant that it lost drivability on the road making it’s sole purpose a track car.

This makes @AirJordan the winner of AEC Round 1. However they has stated their unavailability to host the next round which means the responsibility falls to @gridghost. You will have 48 hours to submit your round with the next track, engine and any requirements of the round. If you are also unavailable please message me as soon as possible so other arrangements can be made. Finally if you do not post your round within 48 hours I will give the responsibility to the next runner up.

3 Likes

The year is 1985 and you will be restricted to FR, FF or FAWD, there will be no limits to Production Units or Engineering Time for your trims. However you MUST use sports compound tires, no quality sliders, no fibre glass panels and manual transmissions. Your goal is to set the fastest lap possible around the track by designing a car that uses the engine provided. The winner will be whomever sets the fastest lap and will get to host the next round.

Engine Specs
Size: 2000cc
Cyliners: 4
Head Type: 16 valve SOHC Aluminium
Block Material: Aluminium
Power: 177 Hp
Torque: 231 Nm
Crankshaft Material: Forged Steel
Conrod Material: I-Beam Steel
Piston Material: Forged Steel
Aspiration: Turbocharged
Fuel Delivery: Multipoint injection
Fuel Type: Regular 91 Ron
Download: gridghost - AEC R2.zip (16.1 KB)

Rules

• Must use provided engine
  • Must use manual transmission
  • Must not use fibre glass body panels
  • Must not use quality sliders
  • Must use standard safety or higher
  • Must use sports compound tires
  • Must have a trim year of 1985
  • Car model/trim cannot be older than 10 years
  • No wings, lips or undertray

To enter, export your car and PM it to me. Use the following naming system:
Platform: AEC 2 - username
Trim: anything

Also remember to post some sort of ad here with a picture and price of your car at minimum.

Rules are no longer subject to change

Deadline: 18th August 2017

The track to be run is: Swanson Proving Grounds Road Track

Have Fun!!!

6 Likes

Noone?

Sorry, I forgot to make a car for round two… Maybe extend to the 18th and I’ll knock something up?

Ok, i’m extending the deadline to the 18th :slight_smile:

1 Like

1985 Bogliq Dolphin 2000GT-T (Prototype)

For round two of the AEC, the cars were now required to conform to 1985 standards. This posed a challenge for the engineering students of Moldova University as their donor Bogliq Dolphin was no longer current.

Upon hearing of their plight, the head of Leeroy Racing brought in a complete rolling shell of the facelifted for MY83 Dolphin so they could salvage the various parts they needed. The donor shell had been written off when a piece of sheetmetal had fallen on it’s roof, flattening the cabin, but the aesthetic parts were still perfectly useable.

Other than plumbing in the new donor engine, the students found that the retrofitting of the pop-up headlights was the trickiest part of the whole conversion process…

The car, if accepted by Bogliq Automotive, will cost $11,600 to build (break-even) and will most likely retail for $16,990 driveaway.

Oh, and the Road course time at Swanson? under 3:04, so best of luck everyone else!

Buy better, buy Bogliq

1 Like

@HighOctaneLove 3:04 on the Swanson, no way! Which version of the track? For now I get 4.34 on version.21.

Swanson Proving Grounds Road Track is the track to get, which is in v.11.zip

1 Like

I’m using version .11 and I used the road course version :smile:

1 Like

So, a couple of hours and change left of the challenge and one entrant…

I’m still waiting for more :slight_smile:

SPE present you the T-200RT '85 for this new round on Swanson. Time 3:03:21. In performance red:

2 Likes

Sorry mate, really short on time. Also, wining and not hosting seems a bit rude if it happens too often.

1 Like

It’s the world’s grumpiest super-mini. It needs a cookie put in the mouth.

Tested only on the ATT, so who knows how well it’ll do. Less than 10K autobux to build, worth every autopenny.

3 Likes

Entries are closed
Results are in

For the second round we have had 3 entries from 3 companies. Their engineers have taken our crate engine and created a track machines to race around Swansons Road Course.

Our team has tested each and every car around the track and have timed the best lap. Each car has also been checked against our regulations and with varied results we have collected the following data:

@HighOctaneLove Bogliq - They’ve yet again presented an updated and facelifted version of the Dolphin. This time around it bears the moniker 2000gt-t. It set a reasonable time of 3:03.94 around the course and has a retromodern approach with an aerodynamic body and wide tires, though the omission of powersteering was not the best decision. It’s the heaviest of the entrants and sports an elegant and sporty design to the liking of our testing department.

@Lastgameking SPE - They presented the T-200RT, setting a lap of 3:03.38 it certainly wasn’t slow. It’s also more forgiving around the course compared to the Dophin, despite having to constantly correct for oversteer. The design is sparse and nothing eyecatching, but that’s prototypes for you.

@laffinghyena - They’ve presented the Chiti - a small, grumpy looking hatch. It set a laptime of 3:02.18 around the course. It was the most forgiving of the cars around the track due to it’s light weight and good suspension setup, and it showed on the laptime.

This makes @laffinghyena the winner of AEC Round 2. You will have 48 hours to submit your round with the next track, engine and any requirements of the round. If you are also unavailable please message me as soon as possible so other arrangements can be made. Finally if you do not post your round within 48 hours I will give the responsibility to the next runner up.

4 Likes

I will see if I can actually take part in the next round! No promises but a straight up hotlap shootout can be good fun.

1 Like

I know, that’s why I thought I’d create this competition. I only didn’t enter the last round as I was having issues with swanson, but I should be in the next round.