Automation's Fastest Driver

Yeah, you can do as many laps as you want!

Also about your fix, since I’m uploading the Beam car file anyway, if it works we can totally do it.

Never one to shy away of making a fool of myself I had an attempt tonight, after 2 hours of wrangling the car around the circuit I managed to get this out of it:

Full VoD can be found here (contains swearing):

5 Likes

First clean lap (but I don’t know the car or the circuit yet…), so this won’t be my final time.

4 Likes

1:14, 1:13, 1:12 huh?

That’s cute :wink:

p.s. yes I’m shit stirring, but yes I’m also confident. Video of my lap will go up at the end of the round

4 Likes

That might or might not have been litteray the first clean lap I ever did on that track. I might or might not have send another time already. That might or might not have been 1:12.

Well, one of the above is a blatant lie.

1 Like

post a vid of your time please… wanna see your lines :smiley:

I was planning to take another crack to see if I could actually nail what I consider the perfect time. Deceptively hard in his car…

Also I tend to post the vid post-round but if we traded notes one might be able to put together a super lap :thinking:

1 Like

14 Likes

Any other keyboard warriors trying this?
My best lap was a 1:14.69 though unfortunately I jumped a curb and ripped the oilpan off my engine before completing the last lap of my 3 laps.

2 Likes

@Knightophonix

@nialloftara

Most likely koolkei and vri will be using keyboard. But that would be really difficult :joy: 1:14 for keyboard is probably rather quick.

6 Likes

Just done a 1:14 with TCS off using controller (then binned it after).

A little nitpick (complaint to some degree):

-With TCS off, with a combination of 980kg and 200hp, it is pretty much sliding around. To get such lap time (for my level of skill), I must have consistent throttle control or I would either spin out or understeer hard (which happened to me on the bridge a couple of times, out of about 10 laps)

Overall, It is a good car. With good suspension setup and a robust engine, it has a pretty high skill ceiling and I know people who are better than me will have some sort of way to use all the power to get better lap times.

I will be doing this a couple more times, maybe I can reach sub 1:12 with TCS off and I will try it with TCS on…

2 Likes

Yeah, when building this car I had no idea how unstable it was on the very limit. I wasn’t expecting it to handle so poorly and I’m sorry to everyone for giving such a poor handling car. My goal for this was to be an easy to drive car that you could chuck about, but that didn’t happen.

Oh well, next car won’t be from me so no worries there!

4 Likes

damn, it’s way too twitchy on the limit for me to run TCS off on the keyboard, I managed a 1:14.4 after that last picture and I think I’m getting a bit more consistent now, but I know I can get a few more seconds off that time.

2 Likes

Actually I really like the car! It’s stable for me and drives well. It is meant to be a casual sports/track car and it delivers.

At the very edge, yes, the transmission causes issues because it doesn’t synchronise the downshifts well and so the weight balances suddenly shifts there. I don’t find the car under or oversteery at all though. It was an easy car to get a good lap out of, but a hard car to get a really great lap out of.

I can imagine some people getting remarkably good times with this.

2 Likes

actually that downshift kick is super useful for me on the low speed second gear turns, gets the car rotating a bit under braking and helps the turn in.

5 Likes

I only stated that “the weight balance suddenly shifts there”, I never stated this was something negative per se :slight_smile:

Getting your turns optimal is all about getting the weight balance optimal.

2 Likes

reaching 1:12 range, still with TCS off. Might as well aim for 1:11 w/o TCS

1 Like

I thought it was a great car for a hotlap challenge. Like yurimacs said it has a high skill ceiling and there’s always room to risk pushing it harder. There’s quite a bit of variation in lap times here

4 Likes

The best lap for me is 1.14.xxx, without taking so much risk, when I try to be faster I crash it at the second lap all the time lol

2 Likes

Well I’m down to 1:xx.003, and I still lost time in two corners. Still not sure which is faster TCS on or off. My fastest time so far is with TSC off.

1 Like