Hello! I kind of ran out of things to do this summer. Wanted to do something different. So:
Main premise of this challenge is the budget: 8000$. Trying for a more laid back one that’s still a bit of a challenge, and not pure competitiveness that is the LM challenge running now.
Bang for your buck - He intends to spend all of the 8000$, and he wants to spend it good.
Reliability - The last thing he needs is another car that will fail him.
Fuel economy - While he has a well paying job now, he wants to avoid having his potential savings eaten up by a car better suited in the 70’s than now.
Service costs - Same reasons above, a car with 90 injectors that must be serviced is a car he does not want.
Uniqueness, styling cohesion - While in reality Dave wouldn’t give a shit about how his car looked, as long as it was efficient and priced competitively, I want to have something vaguely interesting. Give your car a twist, give it something to talk about, something to make it stand out. And make it look like it’s an economy car, or perhaps something trying to look like not an economy car while still being cheap. Realism? Go wild, but try to stick to a 90’s theme. Transverse boxer type shit is fair game.
Comfort - He knows the money he has won’t lend him a luxury car, but something to pad the buttocks would be nice to have when commuting.
Drivability - He doesn’t exactly live in a place where weather gets tough, but something which is easy to drive would be nice.
Safety - Not dying in a crash would be nice. Bells and whistles in forms of pre-tensioners and whatever aren’t that big of a priority however.
Sportiness - While he’s wanted a sports car since he was young, he knows that no sports car is priced like this. But something vaguely enjoyable to drive would be nice.
Price - Something cheaper which is still equally as good will be higher on his list.
Practicality - Other than doing the shopping and maybe moving a friend or partner he has no need for anything more, but ease of use in daily situations would be nice.
Interiors are not required and will not be scored but may be used for judging flair.
- Model & Engine Family name: BBB - Forum username
- Trim & Engine Variant - Free
- Model year: 1980 - 1995
- Trim year: 1995
- Engine family & variant: 1995 and earlier
- Techpool: Keep at default (+5 everything) UNLESS you are making a mid or rear-engined car, to which you will get another 10 points to put on top of default, as a compensation for how they suck at the moment. Limited to +8 per category max. (debate?)
- Fuel: 91 RON Unleaded
- No race parts (Why would you even want to use them anyway?)
- Radial tires only
- Resubmissions allowed whenever and for whatever. I’ll try my best to notify you of rule breaks but no guarantees as I’m only human after all
- Catalytic converter required (2 or 3 way)
- Did I forget something? (catalytic converters, apparently)
Rules deliberation until Monday, 21st August 00:00 UTC
Submission close: Monday, 28th August 00:00 Anywhere on earth
- Catalytic converters are now required
- Minimum year lowered from 1990 to 1980
- Trim year must now be 1995
- More inspirations
- Engine family and variant no longer have to be before 1995
and the even better example of the Toyota Tercel
Mitsubishi Mirage / Plymouth Colt
Hyundai Excel lently cheap
Fiat 126 / FSM Niki / 126 Maluch / whatever other name / How did they even sell this in to the 90’s???
Suggestions are welcome