Big Fruinian Muscle Cars Cup Stage 2 [FINISHED]

Engine displacement does not always equal power, this would give an unfair advantage to MOHV.

For actual driving, wheelspin is almost always a bad thing. It robs you of grip and control. For show-off purposes, or to warm tires before a drag race, just about any RWD car (ours included) can wheelspin/burnout by locking the front brakes.

Besides, wheelspin is just completely against Adenine’s values as a company, especially in the modern age.

Also, if i recall, my car was the fastest on the strip and second to strops rear engine car around the track, despite me tuning it for the wrong track( i did the nascar circuit that has actual turns). My car had more smiles per dollar XD

But would this not make it more realistic? As the reason we still have OHV is only for muscle cars how many other cars still use OHV for high end production models. We all know DOHC is better but that is not what is used in muscle cars. You can only get 5.4 from a DOHC ford motor (minus using a custom billet crank and taking alot of material for the bottom of the block) but the Chev and Mopar guys are capable of well over 7.0L while the power outputs are still very similar between them, again just my 2c as a muscle car guy looking at real world products

OHV is used because its cheap, lightweight and is smaller. Ford could get bigger displacement out of there Modular V8s if they made a new block, but they dont need too.

Giving bigger displacements a bonus would undermine the use of OHC setups, and would double the advantage of MOHV.

People dont buy cars based on displacement, mustang has outsold the camaro for a majority of its model years with smaller engines.

I own a 5.4 ford a 4valve at that and comparing the size to a ls engine is laughable the mod motor is far larger and heavier (don’t get me wrong I am a ford guy). Here in Australia Holden throws around large capacity v8’s to up sales (must be an aussie thing). And of coarse the mustang outsold the camaro, the camaro is made from using a 2 door commodore (manaro LOL) the mustang is “THE MUSTANG”. And I will still stand bye that 99% of muscle cars are v8 OHV the mustang/F truck is the only exception to that rule and there are no real Japanese muscle cars or European its either American or Australian

The displacement advantage business might be slightly relevant to certain buyers of muscle cars, but I’m not entirely sure it’d actually give OHV any advantage, because DOHC setup is in every single way superior except space and weight. To the point that you have a lot more room to play around with the rules. I could choose between running an OHV engine, but I’d barely get 280hp and 360Nm out of it before I run into serious trouble with the fuel economy… and that’s with an eco turbo helping it along. Change that to a DOHC VVT-L setup, and well, it’s more like 400hp and 500Nm, or more, and I’ve got plenty of room to move with fuel economy. Of course some would argue that the use of the turbo is really not muscle car at all and NA all the way for the smiles. I guess it depends on what end of the rev range you’d like to get your smiles from :wink:

I think you mistook my entry for somebody else. My car was not rear-engined, and it was certainly not the fastest on the strip! (It was a real pig and the F:R weight ratio was horrendous due to 667ci block). And it wasn’t supposed to be the fastest on-track either, it was only that despite being a total bus thanks to attempts to tune it to be dynamically respectable. As for smiles per dollar, it was a car designed to terrify more so than thrill :smiling_imp:

While I’m not a fan of the wheelspin rule, I will point out that the people who do attempt burnouts with their brand new muscle car usually get featured on YouTube clips titled ‘Super Car Idiots’ or something :sweat_smile:

Went back and re-read the thread, misread a post, but i didnt say your car was the fastest on the strip, i said it was fastest on the track, in which your car was the fastest on the track.

I dont see how you can only get 280hp and get into bad fuel econ, my 2000 car in my hawker thread got 23.7 MPG with 301hp and 328 ft-lbs of torque for MY 2000.

None the less, i dont like the wheelspin part, but i participated in the first stage, and i will do the second stage regardless. OHV vs OHC is an argument for the ages, each has very well defined pros and cons

The ‘bad fuel econ’ part is more to do with limitations of the rules here, in which maximum allowable fuel consumption is proportional to the mass of the car. 23.7MPG would be fine if your car weighed around 1360kg or more. By comparison, I’m running 400hp (in a MY2007) in a smaller engine that weighs the same.

I didn’t play around with the OHV engine very much due to my approach demanding something somewhat different, so I’m probably being very conservative with those numbers. That’s for other people to find out for themselves.

Defiantly, im just now doing some experimentation myself.

Ok, not sure why I quoted those earlier figures, clearly they were off. However I’m going to need a heavier car if I want to use this OHV NA… it’s AFR 15.0 and still can’t get good enough economy…

Orrrr I could still go with DOHC turbo. Decisions decisions…

I am running close to 8.3 litres of old school goodness about 500hp and 13.4L/100 prob not enough but I must have a Big Block

And for the OHV DOHC argument I am a DOHC man thru and thru I was just pointing out that the majority of muscle cars are OHV not trying to stir you up @USDMFTW. But i do think turbos and muscle cars are a no no as it just does not happen IRL from the factory (again personally I think all v8’s should be turbo from the factory)

Or any other 100s of turbo cars he has on his channel with small blocks and LS engines

1 Like

I had a car, then fiddled with some stuff and broke it.

Back to the drawing board… :frowning:

Oh how I am sick of LS motors they really are not that great. Just small with big displacement and cheap just like the old 350.
Give me a 1uzfe with a turbo, or a 8000rpm ford mod motor

Is this Stable or Beta?

Good question!

I should really have played around a bit more before opening my mouth about the turbo and OHV business. That said, I’m not that good at exploring the advantages of OHV… and this time I’m going to make a much more reasonable car for the challenge. As to whether it’s going to win anything remains to be seen, of course.

There is an open beta running? I thought it was only in closed beta atm?

I’m also in the “wheel spin is not that important” camp. At least it shouldn’t be in Heavily weighted category (if necessary I would suggest Under w.). It’s simply not the main criteria when buying a modern muscle.

Other than that, it will be another nice challenge with tough competitors :slight_smile:

Have to say, I kind of like the wheelspin parameter.

It makes you play the balancing act of wheelspin and round 1 score versus actual performance around the track. I’m well aware this balancing act cost me dearly in the Daytona round of the previous stage, especially with all the power I had on tap. But I don’t regret that for a moment.

Obviously, any car with a reasonably high power output can spin its wheels, even at speed if you tug the wheel just right (hopefully you have the room to do so). But the capacity to burn rubber going straight at 250km/h has a nice “look at all this power we have for you” ring to it. I appreciate muscle cars mainly because of the simplicity of lots of power in a simple, rugged chassis. If you will, the pure motoring enthusiasm of “add more displacement and find something to bolt it to”.

A muscle car without wheelspin will go around corners better. But if that’s all one is looking for, they may want to consider a turbo four banger bolted to a small eurasian coupe.

1 Like