Big Truck Torque V8

After looking at the Mercedes-Benz M275 V12 (which will have a recreation attempted), I thought, “Why not try and do that with a V8?”

So, Newlands Motor Co. went to work and produced the M278, a 5.8l under-square twin turbo V8 with excellent reliability, responsiveness and a wide power band. :smiley:

Perfect for any sports truck, but what happens for those who want more?

Presenting the BAJA Edition! Give any unsuspecting supercar owner a shock when you leave them breathing your tyre smoke after that drag from the lights.

When engineers have petrol running through their veins, they won’t stop tinkering. “What would happen if there were no limits?”

Well, we put some on them - we can’t build something no one can afford or ever finish building - and they produced this…

The BAJA Racing Truck V8!

M278 - Baja RACE.lua (57.6 KB)
M278 - Baja Road.lua (57.5 KB)
M278 - 58T.lua (52.5 KB)

Nice work, but as these are truck motors, might I recomend designing them for regular fuel?

Something like this: More torque, much sooner in the RPM range, quieter, and less expensive to build and maintain.

Good thinking. :smiley:

I keep forgetting to use less than 95RON, but i’d like to think of them powering trucks/SUV’s (mainly) to rival the X5M and Cayenne Turbo. I’ll give them a tweak, but i’m aiming for good response, emissions (not as important outside Europe), lower weight and smoothness. But lower noise on the lower powered version would certainly improve it. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Ryan”]Good thinking. :smiley:

I keep forgetting to use less than 95RON, but i’d like to think of them powering trucks/SUV’s (mainly) to rival the X5M and Cayenne Turbo. I’ll give them a tweak, but i’m aiming for good response, emissions (not as important outside Europe), lower weight and smoothness. But lower noise on the lower powered version would certainly improve it. :slight_smile:[/quote]

I cannot vouch for your area, but engines of the 6-8 liter range are still used here for trucks and SUVs.

Though they are starting to fade off the very big engines.

Yeah, the larger engines have all downsized. What was over five litre’s in displacement - e.g. AMG and their 6.2 V8 - are around four litres with two turbo’s strapped to them. This would be the largest displacement engine we would make. Aiming to compete with the likes of the aforementioned X5M and Cayenne Turbo, but the vehicle would provide more, like the Range Rover SVR. :slight_smile: