BRC 1976 - Under Pressure [E8-Q]

@findRED19 I think that body is ok, the main consideration with body (apart from preference) is the aero I feel. Which that particular body is, well, meh. So it’ll cost you some top speed. But, it’s no exactly horrible either. As long as you don’t aim to win Hockenheim it should be fine.

I think FR is fine, depends on what you are trying to do, my car in the last test was FR NA so I think it’s at least quite workable. However, yes, with a powerful Turbo I think you’d lose a lot of that potential to wheelspin. But it depends on how powerful you are talking anyway. Also drivability is vital, which is a major hurdle with a powerful Turbo.

Aero and how big of an engine will fit … 2nd of which limits me. Does anyone run on a big block V8 or a big V12?

Also, i think top speed won’t be an issue (unless you’re going full lightweight) but more so how long it takes you to get there. The only track where top speed is relevant is Spa (310+ km/h with a 470hp car); at Hockenheim I get to about 270km/h. But going for the Spa-gearing loses out on all other tracks.

@Der_Bayer ,
Another thing I’ve noticed just now, in game I’m doing slightly above 260 on the ‘Daffy Flyer’, in the test the highest I could spot was 247 (despite the flying lap time being faster). Any idea where that does come from?

1 Like

my best car so far is a steel ladder chassis engine with a v12 on board making 420HP+
your argument is invalid :stuck_out_tongue:

no, but really though, the next car i built was an MR that had lower time on ATT, but resulted in more than a second slower in the test.

also, i don’t use turbo simply because i dunno how to tune them at this era.

“oh, 2:13, i think i could get a little bit more out of the engine.”
BOOM 15+ HP, performance index went up
but also
BOOM 2:14.
FFS, i’m not gonna tinker with them to keep me from going nuts.

later on though, it might be a bit easier and more rewarding, but not this season for me.

I personally don’t like turbo’s, so as a game mechanic I haven’t used them until now. I can’t get them to work as well as NA engines, so I am just going to leave them be for now. And while RR sounds like a good idea for 400+ monsters, I have been using the same 3130cc Flatplane V8 in two different cars and no matter what I do, I can’t get the performance I want from RR due to the weight balance.

Yes, I agree. I think unless you need the grip, FR is likely the, I won’t say better, but it’s the easier choice to get performance from.

Next test I’m trying a Turbo MR, just to see how it works out.

From what you are saying I think I need to update my Spa track, mine is weird.

This is the one I’m using, easily getting to 310 at the masta straight. Hockenheim is more like 275-278 rather than 270, for a more exact comparison.

Just to let you know: I am always using tracks built by myself to be sure that they perform good in the simulation. And I need to and the pit information anyway. I took the Spa track as an inspiration and rebuilt it similar to the original version. So just that you don’t complain if your times don’t match 100 percent. It should still be close enough.

3 Likes

Well, 15 km/h top speed is a lot if you want to optimize your gearing. Would be nice to know if that is to be expected on all tracks or it’s just the ATT.

What if you load your car in the game with extra interior to represent the fuel weight? How does that affect your top speed?

Still doing 260. See the PM.

I don’t mind the ATT not being that exact, but if that’s a bug occuring on all tracks, it would suck sacrificing time on the slow tracks to get a higher top speed, and then not reaching that speed at all.

Missed this announcement because of holiday.
Luckily I still have a few days to build a car, but for sure i’ll miss a lot of the information and experience from the testraces.

OK, did the rough estimates again from last test and ended up with these results.
Full calculation

Sorted after position@40 laps with pits

5 Likes

Nice! If that will be still true in season…
What is X column with xx and o?

I’m running with a big block, 5.7l V8. I’ve basically built a muscle car (totally not in keeping with my company’s theme :smile:).

Like @GroundHOG2010 I haven’t been able to have much success with turbo’s, as I’m used to working with NA. But, don’t know about anyone else, but I am planning to go turbo MR in BRC 1986/7 (and yes, I am already planning for that).

But, while the economy of my car is its weakness, I’ve got a big fuel tank to deal with it, and I’ve dealt with wheelspin well.

And hell yes, feeling much more confident having looked at @Puffster’s sheet :smiley:

That’s the number of pit stop needed in a full race.
o = 1
x = 2
xx = 3
xxx = 4

I have not considered if anyone can do it without pitting, whoever does can subtract 30 secs from time as that is the set pit stop time in these estimates :)[quote=“DeusExMackia, post:660, topic:16817”]
I’ve got a big fuel tank to deal with it,
[/quote]
Just remember it might be a longer pit stop than 30 seconds then :wink:

2 Likes

I’m running a N/A Ford 351 block with a 4-valve SOHC set-up in this last test. Boss has something else in the works…

Edit: …and we just managed to send it in before IRL work.

1 Like

Whats the latest time we can submit a car for todays test?

5 hours from now on.

The crazy turbo approach looks like it might just work out for me

Just for the fun of it, something I just achieved:

And this thing actually does better than what I had before :confused: