BRC 1976 - Under Pressure [E8-Q]

I think my NA sleeper is ready for upload for the next test, going to try out a turbo over the next week, but I was able to keep the engine reliability at 35, get under 10k and still stay under 2:11 on the test track.

@matti you knowā€¦ i went from 2:12.47 to 2:11.64 in game. yetā€¦ itā€™s more than a second slower.
hahahahahah. stupid car. i mustā€™ve missed something

@Riso All other questions will be answered in the evening.

Well that was a step backwards. And 2 weird things a wierd thing:

1. in game time new car is 3/4 of a second slower compared to test 3 car but in brc its 1.5 sec slower
  2. in test 3 I finished 20 laps with 24 18 wear and 6.8 sec slower last lap time. In last test I finished 20 laps with 15 13 wear but 7.9 sec slower last lap time even with 1l less fuel (I made it thirstier). How? Shouldnā€™t times stay more constant with less wear? Edit: itā€™s all ok. Thanks @CriticalSet9849 for spotting that one.

looking at it you made a driver error on the final lap which affected your time, previous lap was 3.5 sec slower

oh and it was quite a big one! Thanks for that!

Refuel rate 2.5 kg/s means during a tire change of 20 seconds you get 50 kg of fuel ā€¦ which would make a 1 stop strategy, but Iā€™m still nowhere near that from the tire wear :confused:

I believe I might be getting somewhere with tire wear and lap consistency, but christ my car struggles to be efficient. Think I might have to settle for fuel consumption as its chief weakness.

Thatā€™s fine.

Just so you know where I am coming from:
When I add weight to my NA cars about equal to fuel load by adding heavier seats I can see something similar to what happens in the brobot. I understand itā€™s the weight; I am fine with it.

The turbo however didnā€™t seem affected at all by the weight in the bot so itā€™s very confusing.

I have the same experience, there seems to be a bigger discrepancy for NA than turbo cars in BROBOT. Using the same body, I had 0.50 seconds difference on the turbo car, and 1.12 seconds difference on the NA car.

Putting that aside, really happy with the performance of the car, just slightly heavy on consumption which is a light tweak. Getting close to desicion time on how many pits is believed to be best. There are statistics to be updated and math to be done, good luck.
@HowlerAutomotive, really impressed with times and tirewear, good work!

1 Like

Could it simply be a difference in time lost taking off, for instance an NA car has a better torque curve so it loses less time on the initial take off, the turbo engines donā€™t make power till higher rpm so have a bit more of a delay in take off.

Posting differences in time per sector might help solve it, or I could be wrong. My sector differences were
S1: 2.7s faster in BROBOT, S2: 1.54s faster in game, S3: 1.86s faster in game

EDIT: my turbo car seems to almost roll off the line in game for 2.5s before it starts accelerating, tested an NA car and it starts accelerating immediately

alright, high camber just dont worth it because cant get pass 1:15 at all. i think i gonna stick on MR NA car again

Cheeky design teaser:

2 Likes

Much better fuel consumtion, but the tire wear, omg.:scream:
And it was slower. Time to work on the suspension.:weary:

Alright, here are the answers to hopefully most of your questions:

The simulation only takes the torque curve from the files. It does not handle turbo or NA any different. So the only thing I can think of is: Turbos are most likely more powerful than NA cars, so they can handle the extra fuel weight (which is the same as for NA cars) better and lose less time. In addition to that, they most likely burn their fuel faster, so they become lighter earlier.

The cost is in the trim file, so if you change something in the car model, you need to test the trim again, as the file is only updated then. Same goes for engine weight for example. Total weight is only updated when you test the car trim.

Q is qualifying, R1 is the first race of a race weekend. The tool is prepared for 3 races per race weekend, but we are not using that. You can ignore R2 (Race 2) and R3 (Race 3). It has got nothing to do with the various race locations.[quote=ā€œone85db, post:476, topic:16817, full:trueā€]
I found a problem with the BRC Tool @Der_Bayer. When using 2 monitors the BRC Tool will stop working after about 5-10 seconds after opening it, but it works fine with 2 monitors while Fraps is running.
[/quote]
Hm, Iā€™m sorry, but you will have to live with that. I donā€™t know whatā€™s causing it and I only have one monitor so I cannot reproduce the issue or test any potential fixes.

I donā€™t know. I just wanted to be on the safe side in case it happens, as it is completely overpowered.

The worst wear counts.

That tendency is part of the track sportiness/ track drivability ratio (= difficulty in BRCTool). The more difficult the car, the more likely driver errors will happen. And the driver will become tired faster, which can lead to even more errors.[quote=ā€œPuffster, post:529, topic:16817ā€]
I have the same experience, there seems to be a bigger discrepancy for NA than turbo cars in BROBOT. Using the same body, I had 0.50 seconds difference on the turbo car, and 1.12 seconds difference on the NA car.
[/quote]
I agree with @CriticalSet9849 on this one. Most turbos lose a bit of time starting from standstill compared to an equally powered NA and this does not happen on a flying lap. So in comparison they might appear to be quicker on a flying lap.

If I forgot anything, which is likely, please remind me of your question. The weather info will not be posted today, Iā€™m too tired. Now checking out Mattiā€™s issues and comparing the two cars directly. But donā€™t expect results today.

In the future I will probably deactivate the slight laptime randomness in training sessions (still it will be active in qualifying and race). This should help seeing the relation to the ingame performance. However please have in mind that if you submitted cars with different power, the low power one will most likely lose more time in my simulation than the high-powered one. And cars with good cornering are likely to suffer more from tyre wear compared to bad cornering cars. 5% of 1.2 g is more than 5% of 1.0 g. It is all very difficult to keep the overview over why cars behave the way they do. But we already gained a lot of transparancy when the updated track calculations made it from my simulation into the game. I can promise that the base calculations are 100% the same. The only differences can be caused by: a) balance changes I did not pick up on or was not notified about and b) the added fuel/tyre wear/randomness stuff.

1 Like

I did some research on my cars. In sectors 2 & 3 the progress translates 1:1 from in-game to BRC. The weird stuff happens in sector 1. I donā€™t have the knowledge to give a meaningful interpretation.

Explaining the difference in sector 1 is rather easy: standing start in automation vs running start in brobot.

Compare my 1st sector in test 2 or 3 with test 4. Despite more speed on straights and a lot more G in the corner, still slower.

EDIT: That 0.25m of braking distance in probably isnā€™t that much worth.

Can in test sessions other cars block you?

Thereā€™s easily some 0.5s random variance in each lap of a test.

My car was deliberately conservative just to test the waters this prototype. I was running only 1.1 (front) camber on sport tires with a turbo V8 pushing over 300hp with at least 40 reliability. Hopefully I can squeeze a couple of seconds out of it with some fine tuning.