BTCheetah's Designs Post (Soliciting Feedback)

Hi all; I’ve been playing Automation for a little while now but I’ve recently decided to get in on the fun of the contests and stuff here on the forums. I had a design put together for CSR143 but I wussed out and didn’t submit it. I’ve but one together for CSR144 inspired by the L-Body Charger and the Alfa 155, but I’m running into some of the same issues I do with all my cars. To my eye they still look cartoon-y and not very real. I think I’m missing something about the detailing but I’m not sure where to start. I’m sure the engineering could be better too. Anywho, here’s a gallery of some screenshots/specs. Please let me know any thoughts you have to help me improve. Thanks!

Image1
Image2
Image3
Image4
Image5

Wipers, side indicators/repeaters, plastic/chrome trim strips. A badge or two wouldn’t hurt. HVAC inlets (the vent things in front the windscreen). Start with little things (note: I’m really bad detailing, myself)

1 Like

Also, choose a wheel rim shape that’s era-correct, and dial in some understeer to avoid unwanted oversteer.

Thanks for your responses guys. I totally forgot about the hood and windshield details on this one :sweat_smile: I’ve got a lot to learn. Maybe I’ll start to put together one of the checklists I’ve seen some people posting to help me keep track of it all.

My standard advice - when designing a car, have some photos of real cars of the era/class open for inspiration - those will help with seeing which details you might be missing too.

As for the engineering, it seems fine except for the oversteer bit at the end of the graph (it should go down) and the ladder - transverse FWD combo. The only car ever I can think of that used it was the Wartburg 1.3, which itself was a combo of antique car with a (then) modern drivetrain from a completely different source. Ladder wasn’t really used in 80s cars except for some dinosaurs and American landyachts, since it’s unnecessarily heavy and space consuming with no serious benefit for average small car.

A light truck monocoque wouldn’t make sense for this build either, and although single-point EFI was still quite common in 1988, I reckon multi-point EFI (and 4-valve DOHC heads) would be worth the extra cost, given the economy and performance benefits you could gain from either. For some worthwhile weight savings and improved environmental resistance, you could consider partial aluminum panels instead of standard steel (treated steel is not available until 1994).