BUDGET POLICE CAR CHALLENGE (deadline 1st October)

If it’s not written in the rules, it’s allowed. Seriously you can do whatever you want within the rules. Finding loopholes in the rules is one of the things I find fascinating about motorsport, so if you find one, go for it!!!

Nice top gear reference :wink:

I don’t think the message with the car got sent to me try sending it to me again or put the download link in the advert. Anyway, the Top Gear inspired gadgets are awesome mate I’m loving these cars

The '90 Rivera Longsword Cruiser is here to save the day!
In some way. I’m not sure myself.

Looks like we’re getting some proper Ameri- ahem, Gasmean blood in the competition huh? Some proper power!
Well, er, technically, eh, nah.

Due to the tight budget available, The formidable muscle car had to be knocked down to it’s most basic form, And even that was too expensive. We ended up having to put a cheap 4-cylinder motor in to meet the pricetag, which admittedly left this even more anemic than the original base model V6 was.

That doesn’t mean we didn’t buff it up a little though.

Heavy duty springs for carrying good amounts of equipment and felons through the roughest of surfaces have been installed, along with Heavy duty Rims and tyres.
It does make the ride a bit harsh on the back, But it’s not like we care about whoever is in the back, Right?
Talking about the back, You an stuff up to 3 small people in the back, Though we reccomend not doing so, as it can get annoying hearing the criminals complain about being uncomfortable, or too squashed together.

As for Chase equipment, We have some implemented weapons.

First off, the classic Bull bars have been extended to the bumper’s sides, With extra “Blades” on the ends.

This is to facilitate Pit maneuvers, possibly carving into a suspect’s tyres if their vehicle is tall enough.

Then, if you cannot catch up to them (which will happen often with this slug), You have… a shotgun. More specifically a Shotgun holder.

Actuated via a steel wire, there are two levers on the left side of the steering column: One with a short travel and one with a long travel, For pulling the trigger and pumping the shotgun respectively.
Also, you put your own gun in there. We figured that using something already on your budget would be smarter. Want more firepower? Bring a pal and have them shoot out the window.

And last, and maybe least, A small compartment on the rear bumper, Ready to eject whatever you put in it when you take off.

Again, we don’t provide the whatever you put in here. You can put caltrops, Tyre killers or rubber ducks in there, via the boot.

So where are the mine deployers, Chainsaws and spiked rims? Well, not only are those quite crazy, They’re also expensive, and we figured that our budget also encompassed the gadgets, so we worked with more price-efficient systems.

7 Likes

Now this is a smashing banger of an entry if I say so myself

1990 Mara Irena Karavan Militsiya Prototyp (KMP)

The late 1980s were times of increasing political unrest in Archana. To retain their power, the ruling caste initiated a number of projects to develop new technologies to help suppress that unrest.

One particular problem was the ease with which people could hide in the rugged and vast hilly terrain in the northern Archanan Hinterlands or the south coast. The then-common police interceptor sedan models had very limited off-road capabilities whereas their SUVs were dead slow on tarmac roads, leading to a number of successful escapes with no obvious solution in sight.

One of the initiated projects therefore was to make the regular Mara Irena - which had been used as interceptor with a big V8 since the mid 1960s but had been largely supplanted in that role by the larger Kavaler and other models in more recent years - more off-road capable by re-using the Irena ute’s drive train with a manual diff locker and increasing ride height as well.

The sole remaining Irena KMP on display in the Mara Company Museum

In the same project, the 5L Blyz V8 was updated to fuel injection based on the experience gained converting the regular Irena’s Perspek I4 to fuel-injection in an ongoing regular facelift project. This turned out to be not too difficult since the Blyz V8 still essentially consisted of two Perspek blocks bolted together since its initial design in the mid 1960s.

In addition, the engineers were tasked to develop a number of innovative countermeasure prototypes as well. To house all the gadgets, it was decided to convert a Irena wagon instead of a sedan. The prototyped countermeasures included:

1. A gun under the front bumper that could be moved mechanically to the left and right and fired from the passenger seat in order to shoot the tyres of cars in front or behind

2) A front bumper that could be moved 90 degrees to the right by operation of a lever and used as a lance - e.g. to nudge a car in front off the road from a distance

3) Propeller-shaped steel hub nuts that could be fired straight to the side - e.g. underneath an alongside car in order to cause loud noises and havoc

4) A spike mat that could be unrolled on the press of a button on the dashboard to quickly set up a road blockade

5) A night vision camera mounted at the front projecting its picture to a monochrome display on the dashboard allowing a ‘lights out’ pursuit on rural roads or trails. To minimise engine noise, the engine got two high-quality mufflers.

6) A prototype of an onboard terminal using a primitive text interface of 22x23 columns and green letters, using the same dashboard display. While limited to a ‘Hello World’ state of implementation for the prototype, the idea was that this could be part of a system to remotely access licence plate and driver registration information from inside the car.

7) A mechanism to place an oil slick on the road by the pull of a lever on the dashboard and thus end a pursuit once the fleeing car had been overtaken.

8) A smoke generator, to produce a cloud of smoke through the hot exhaust (e.g. in the same situation as before or as an alternative to a physical roadblock), drawing from the same supply of oil stored in the boot of the wagon (the one with the dark symbol)

9) A mechanism to dose a car (or people) in water from the roof through a rotatable nozzle. The water is to be stored in a separate storage tank in the boot (see picture above, the larger tank with the light symbol).

10) A directed sound device, allowing the projection of infrasound, ultrasound or very high volume sounds at an area nearby to cause physical discomfort. Hearing protection for the driver and the operator would be provided.

The resulting dashboard needed quite a extra few levers and buttons to control all the experimental features. (They had to use the old Kavaler horizontal speedometer from the mid-1970s since it was the only one available that was going beyond 200 kph.)

An EMP weapon was also considered, but decided against due to the very limited extent that Archanan cars back then relied on electronic components in their engines or other crucial car systems.

Luckily, the limited funding meant that the project did not leave the development stage before the sweeping and (largely) peaceful changes in Archana at the end of the 1980s. The almost finished prototype remains in the Mara company museum. However, a limited number of Irena wagons were indeed modified in 1990 with the updated 5L V8, a substantially increased ride height and the Irena ute’s drivetrain with a manual locker, but without any of the prototyped countermeasures.

A battered Irena KMP after completing an arduous trial run on Hinterlands trails on the Archanan Beam East Coast (replay available)

And while these converted wagons were little more than stopgap measures, their relative effectiveness, however, nevertheless paved the way of developing a somewhat off-road competent wagon in addition to the traditional sedan for the successor of the Irena’s larger counterpart, the Kavaler.

7 Likes

I have a feeling this one is gonna win. There’s some fine gadgets on there and it’s very cheap as well. Hopefully it’s not all looks and no trousers.

God damn I love this challenge I’m in

by the way, are we limited to body types from the 90s explicitly?

As long as the model year is set to 1990, anything available should be fine.

Nice.
I see that I misread the model year though, I read it as “the decade, not the year” instead of what it actually was. Thanks for the clarification :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Need a cheap police car? Want it to actually do stuff?

Normally these qualities would inherently conflict. but allow me to introduce:

The Bazard Rikkett base; Police Package

Photo217_1

It may look like the most basic model of an already pretty low-end economy car, but we’ve messed around with it a bit; this 780kg (1700lb) car now has a 100hp Boxer-4 seated in the back, transferring power through a 5-speed manual into all 4 wide, heavy-duty wheels. With short gearing for high-speed city driving, a manual locking differential for cross country expiditions, and a variety of cruel and unusual criminal-stopping features, this car really can go anywhere and excels at everything.

Criminal-Stopping Features

Traditional bullbar, to protect the car in a slow head-on collision. Not that you’d survive any crash in a car this small, but hey, any bit helps.

A loudspeaker, to give commands and threats to civilians and perpetrators respectively. The car also comes with the smallest muffler possible, to put the fear of god into the fleeing.

A heavy-duty lock on the trunk, to keep the criminals from getting out mid-transport. An advantage of the trunk being in front is that if they do get out, you’ll notice immediately, and be able to run them down before they get very far.

Spikes om each corner, to teach careless parkers that nearly ding your car in the parking lot. Could also be used to counter PIT maneuvers; or, if you don’t fear death, to aid in performing one.

And finally, our pride and joy, a hidden firearm mount in the front, designed to attack vehicles and their tires (though use against pedestrians is non-optimal, it is still possible). Compatible with all sorts of small arms you already have, such as pistols and SMGs, these guns can be fired by the driver fighter-jet style. The mount is placed slightly off center so that it’s closer to the driver’s position, making it easier to aim; an alternate position centered even closer to the driver is available, but it only supports pistols. Note that the gun can only be reloaded by hand, so it is advised to keep the gun loaded and ready at all times. >:)

9 Likes

quick question, the cost refers to material costs, right? image

In most challenges, “cost” refers to the “approximate cost” figure, shown in sandbox on the design tab when “Markets” or “Detail Stats” is selected. (highlighted in this photograph)
metal-bucket-water-white-background-32330031

2 Likes

Wish it was material costs lmao

2 Likes

I never noticed that lol

Due to a minor error I made, I had to resubmit my car.

While at it, I decided to change it a bit. Let me introduce,

Minmax Motors cruiser-69

It doesn’t break any rules, therefore it shall be considered to be a serious entry.

7 Likes

Any body model is fine. Like literally any body model up until 1990. You could even go for the really old 1910’s cars although you would have a gianormous penalty in design points.

Numberplates?

2 Likes

Anything that has letters on it. If there is a car with no numberplates I’ll put them on myself.

The Celio Patrol is the perfect budget police car, no matter the environment.

Its strong 1.6L has enough torque to keep up with the bad guys, as well as being fuel efficient.

4 Likes